Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man in critical condition after motorcycle crash

Tuesday, Aug 7, 2012 11:56 AM
Last updated 7:57 PM

An Augusta man is in critical condition after a motorcycle crash Monday afternoon.

Richmond County sheriff’s deputies said Andre Harris, 35, was riding a motorcycle south on Wheeless Road when a 1997 Mercury Villager traveling northbound turned in front of him on Milledgeville Road, causing Harris to strike the side of the vehicle.

Harris, who was on a 2007 Suzuki GSXR 600, was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital with severe head trauma. After the crash, deputies learned that the motorcycle had been reported stolen in Richmond County in 2011.

The driver of the Mercury was identified as 47-year-old Sheila McGruder. Police said she was taken to a hospital after suffering a seizure at the scene.

McGruder faces charges of failure to yield and driving with a suspended license.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/07/12 - 12:19 pm
Two, two, two crooks in one!

Two, two, two crooks in one! Just happy for no fatalities.

pommom38
pommom38 08/07/12 - 12:37 pm
Not yet

No fatality yet. Severe head trauma is a bad diagnosis.
Just smdh at the sheer stupidity of this entire thing.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 12:48 pm
With Harley season

With Harley season approaching, I find all of these bike accidents very stressful.

I hope this rider will fully recover.

BamaMan
BamaMan 08/07/12 - 12:57 pm
What about

possession of a stolen vehicle charges?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 01:50 pm
I would think they would wait

I would think they would wait to see if he lives and recovers.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 07:42 pm
You actually know this person

You actually know this person is the indiviidusl who stole the bike? Did you report him to the RCSD?

Skeedy69
Skeedy69 08/07/12 - 07:55 pm
No I do not know this person

No I do not know this person . The police contacted us to let us know the bike had been found by being in an accident because we had reported it stole back in November of 2011.

Skeedy69
Skeedy69 08/07/12 - 07:57 pm
If he didn't actually steal

If he didn't actually steal it himself I'm sure he know who did because he was the one driving it so yes I hope he lives so he can explain how he came by having this bike.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 08/08/12 - 08:45 am
I must admit

This was one brave soul driving a motorcycle that had been stolen months before. I mean Knowing he was on a stolen bike and driving around the same area it was stolen from is the definition of STUPID! I do hope they both recover so they can do some "splainin' "

jessiemay28@yahoo.com
jessiemay28@yahoo.com 08/08/12 - 04:59 pm
WEll he didnt lived to tell

WEll he didnt lived to tell where he got the motorcycle from!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skeedy69
Skeedy69 08/08/12 - 08:41 pm
Yes I heard. My feelings are

Yes I heard. My feelings are really mixed right now. I truly don't wish death on anyone but I'm a true believer that you reap what you sow.

heartborken85
heartborken85 08/13/12 - 09:05 pm
MY MOM

SHEILA MCGRUDER IS MY MOTHER IM NOT ASHAMED!!!!!! ACCIDENTS HAPPEN SHE NEVER MEANT TO HIT HIM. MY HEART GOES OUT TO MY FAMILY AND ALSO TO ANDRE FAMILY. WE BOTH LOST SOMEONE. NOT JUST THE HARRIS FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too Blessed To Be Stress
Too Blessed To Be Stress 08/15/12 - 12:15 am
Leave the judging up to God

John 8:7 "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone."
Instead of judging, let us all practice prayer for both families. Accidents happens and nothing happens unless God allows it. I personally do not know the McGruder family, but my heart and prayers goes out to them; they too have lost a loved one. I can say that I have had the privilege of knowing Mr. Andre (Dre) Harris, he was my sister's boyfriend. Inspite of how his life ended and the circumstances that lead to his death, he had a gentle and caring heart. Several years before leaving this earth Mr. Harris vowed to fulfilled a great commitment, and that commitment was to donate his organs after his death. Although one life has gone on to a better place, several other lives will continue on through his blessings. So Kudos to you Dre, job well done. Rest in peace!!!! Harris Family you are in my prayers.

Skeedy69
Skeedy69 08/16/12 - 01:42 pm
Heartbroken; Iam soooo truly

Heartbroken; Iam soooo truly sorry for what your mother will have to endure for the rest of her life. Even though this is a messed up situation; Iam thankful to your mother; because if this accident had not of happened; my son would have never recovered his bike. I know this does not sound good; I don't know how to express that I'm thankful to her and at the same time I am soooo very sorry for what she will go through. I truly wish I could do something to help her. I did not want to see Mr. Harris die; but I'm so upset right now because my son had to travel to Georgia to pick his bike up; that costed alot of gas and time then he had to pay almost another $300 to get his bike out of storage. I know that Perkins has said that Mr. Harris didn't steal this bike, but theres no way in heck he didn't know it was stolen. The switch was broken because they didn't have a key. To me if you buy stolen property then you are a thief as well. I'm sorry that his actions caused his life and his family pain. I'm sorry that his kids will not see him again. I'm truly sorry that he passed. But my son has lost alot and also this bike now has to be fixed; which will cost more money. Heartbrokens; mother will now suffer. So many people is suffering from this incident.

Skeedy69
Skeedy69 08/16/12 - 09:12 pm
Heartbroken I do hope the

Heartbroken I do hope the police will take in consideration that this was a thief that lost his life. Ism so [filtered word] right now. My son have just returned from Geogria with his bike and there is no way NO WAY Andre didn't know this bike was stolen and I believe he stole it and he prolly have the other bike as well because Andre had jumper cables plugged up from under the bike seat goingvtobthe broken ignition switch. Before we actually saw the bike I was giving a
Andre the benefit of doubt but not now, so Perkins obviously you didn't know your friend vey well!