Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man on bicycle shot at River Glen apartments

Tuesday, Aug 7, 2012 12:41 PM
Last updated 7:57 PM

A man was shot twice Tuesday morning while riding his bicycle through the River Glen apartment complex.

Quandarius Hakim Mar­tin, 21, of Goldfinch Drive, told Richmond County sheriff’s deputies that a man in all black clothing approached him about 1 a.m., stole his pants and shot him once in each thigh.

The apartment complex on East Boundary has been a troublesome spot for law enforcement, with three fatal shootings since May 2011. A rally was held at River Glen in February to bring attention to the violence.

The complex is primarily a women’s housing facility, but police said male visitors are causing the problems.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/07/12 - 01:08 pm
Formula For Failure

Setting up a women's housing facility in that part of town is a model for mayhem. Ne’er-do-well males will be attracted there like bees to flowers, like ants to a picnic, like moths to a flame, like flies to . . . well, you get the picture.

PhiloPublius
PhiloPublius 08/07/12 - 01:34 pm
Give a man a fish...

When will we learn that people who are not required to actually work for a living are the ones causing most of the problems?

All we need to do is stop sending out those welfare checks, and shut down the housing projects. It will be rough at first, but the end result will be these people will be too tired from working a normal job to commit all of these crimes.

I'm not heartless, I just think it's only fair that everyone pull their own weight.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 02:01 pm
The left says give it and the

The left says give it and the right says stop it. Perhaps something towards the Center would be more productive such as establishing community gardens/fields, public grounds and building maintenance. Things that build confidence and skills are more apt to give the opportunities for breaking out of a life of poverty which ALWAYS attracts the wrong relationships, multiplying the problems out.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/07/12 - 02:55 pm
Gimme ya day-um pants!

Quandarius musta had some nice duds on him, huh?

Goldfinch Drive is in 30907. Way out in Martinez. That's quite a way from East Boundary. Wonder what he was doing cycling through River Glen at 1am?

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 05:54 pm
F4therTime, I agree and also

F4therTime, I agree and also think that even a few who did not embrace it at first, would learn to like the confidence it would bring to them in developing skills and a purpose. It's a viscious cycle to keep repeating the same old things and expect a different result.

hotsaucemom
hotsaucemom 08/07/12 - 06:18 pm
What good is a sheriff's

What good is a sheriff's substation inside River Glen when their no deputy presence late night, i guess they're scared too. Vote Roundtree he is one tough customer, wrangler

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/07/12 - 06:42 pm
Correct me please if I am

Correct me please if I am wrong hotsauce, but I thought a substation was just that; sub/substitute/temporary/occasional/part time/buzin-buzout. You know a place to write reports and take a break. I didn't know they were fulltime guard shacks. Do they have a tower and shotguns?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/08/12 - 08:21 am
I want one, mommy.

If you man a guard shack inside River Glen ’round the clock, you will have apartment managers all over Augusta demanding equal access. Everyone will want one.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/08/12 - 08:46 am
LL, I'd like one too.

LL, I'd like one too.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/08/12 - 09:13 am
Seminole, you missed my

Seminole, you missed my point. Trade hand outs for hand ups. Teach skills and independence not dependence.

10-4 on the rest of it.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/08/12 - 05:01 pm
Ok, Seminole, describe for me

Ok, Seminole, describe for me just how that previous hands up program worked.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/08/12 - 06:16 pm
I'll take that for a, no.

I'll take that for a, no.