Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

2 teens sought in Harrisburg killing surrender

Saturday, Aug 4, 2012 12:24 AM
Last updated 7:39 PM

Two teenagers accused of killing a man in Harrisburg on Friday night have turned themselves into the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office and been charged with murder.

William Clark, 16, of the 1800 block of Watkins Street, and Jeremiah Kelly, 15, are charged in the death of 28-year-old Anthony Dewayne King, according to Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Blaise Dresser. They turned themselves in around 7 p.m. Saturday.

Deputies were dispatched to the 700 block of Crawford Avenue a little after 11 p.m. Friday after a report of an attempted carjacking in which shots were fired, Dresser said.

Deputies found King in a white Cadillac Escalade that had crashed into a tree in the 700 block of Barnes Lane. He had a gunshot wound to the chest, and there was physicial evidence that the shooting happened on Crawford Ave­nue, Deputy Coroner Johnny MacDonald said.

King was pronounced dead at Medi­cal College of Georgia Hos­pi­tal at 11:36 p.m.

King did not have an ID on him, so MacDonald, with the help of the Crime Scene Unit, took his fingerprints. His family was notified early Saturday.

MacDonald said King’s body will be autopsied at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation crime lab in Atlanta on Monday.

King is Richmond County’s 19th homicide of 2012, police said.

dwb619
dwb619 08/04/12 - 07:25 pm
finger prints

I've NEVER been arrested, not had even a traffic ticket in the last 35 years. But I have been finger printed at least seven times in my life. Security clearance, jobs, CWP, list goes on.

allhans
allhans 08/04/12 - 07:02 pm
Harrisburg....

Poor boys. One life taken, two lives wasted. And they probably see themselves as tough guys.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/04/12 - 08:31 pm
The very reason why the youth

The very reason why the youth have gotten to this point is because parents, law enforcement, communities, judges, juvenile courts have made excuses for their wrongdoings. Absolutely NO accountability. The slap-on-the-wrist punishment is not working. For some reason people can't see that.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/04/12 - 08:51 pm
"Properly funded law

"Properly funded law enforcement is a start until we decide what else to implement."

I respectfully disagree. Unless you had a cop on every corner (as I suggested for First Friday), this kind of thing will continue to occur where there are feral children. Unless and until we stop the propagation of children to unwed/uncommitted females, there is no hope. This is a direct result of the welfare state which has enabled the dissolution of the family unit.
I just shake my head in wonder when the people most affected by these miscreants continue the cycle of more miscreants.

Jake
Jake 08/04/12 - 08:59 pm
Parenting

I do not know the home life of these two boys. Yes, boys. At 15 & 16 you are still a boy in my eyes. It is very sad that these kids made a very bad choice that they will have to live with. I only hope that at some point they will have compassion for the victim and for human life in general. Sad.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/04/12 - 09:01 pm
Single parents can raise

Single parents can raise decent, law-abiding citizens. As we have seen recently with the adorable Gabby Douglas. The problem with places like Augusta is a negative culture that has taken over almost the entire city. Parents of 14, 15, 16 year olds could care less where their kids are in the wee hours of the morning. Law enforcement could care less whether drugs are being peddled on the street corners or whether the dealers are 10 or 20. When the communities, parents, law enforcement, courts, and everyone in between starts to change this negative culture into a positive one, only then will things get better.

blues550
blues550 08/04/12 - 10:18 pm
Passion

Lori, I often disagree with you but your passion is obvious and your feelings are spot on.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/04/12 - 11:08 pm
Antisocial behaviours have no

Antisocial behaviours have no cure.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 08/04/12 - 11:39 pm
Patty

Yes, single parents CAN raise good children; I think my mom did, andI know others who have. However, when the parent (s) have no sense of morality and values themselves, they raise children of the same mindset, who then have children of their own, and the beat goes on. I read where 80% or greater of inmates in the U.S. are from single parent homes. I think that speaks volumes.
Also AFAIK, Gabby's father has been involved in their lives.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 08/05/12 - 01:04 am
Due to job requirements, bank

Due to job requirements, bank fingerprint recognition and drivers license requirements, I've been finger printed many many many times and get it done every 5 years. Uncle Sam even has my DNA on file. Millions of good Americans have been printed, just ask a Vet.

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/05/12 - 06:57 am
Awwww

No surprise there is a bleeding heart giving a thumbs down to common sense posts! They don't put forth the effort to help stop the criminals nor even acknowledge some of the problems causing it, but they offer up excuses lightning fast.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 08/05/12 - 08:02 am
ME BAD

Very very poor statement. I too have been fingerprinted for BI's to have a very high level of security for my 20 years in the Army, CWP, Driver license, even for my Padi scuba card. I too have never had a Blue or Red light in back of me for any Traffic violation for speeding,accident or head/tail lights being out in my 72 years.

I was just curious as to where this 28 may have had his fingerprint taken. Should not have been made in my comment. Sorry

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 08/05/12 - 09:13 am
They

are just teenagers. I agree with the left and their lawyers: slap them on the wrists, send them to juvenile detention until age 21 ( where other punks and thugs earned their Phd.'s in crime ) and release them upon the LAW-ABIDING public. That will teach those "young men".

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/05/12 - 06:38 pm
itsanotherday

Environment plays a huge role in the future success of a child as well. When people can't live peacefully without dodging bullets or having to put up a fight everyday because of crime, drugs, etc, the community has a serious problem. Then, there are a lot of people that WANT to live this type of life, that don't want the criminals arrested, people that won't 'snitch' on the criminals, so their neighborhoods continue to decline to a level of being uncivilized. Parents need to be involved if they want better for their children. The last I heard was the local people are looking for more 'programs' to assist. I have no problem with 'programs,' but the cure for dysfunction needs to start at home. When you have adolescents running the streets, clubbing in the wee hours of the morning, there is a disconnect where parenting is concerned. There is a disconnect when curfews aren't even being enforced by authorities. This is why I believe the problems are EVERYONES fault. Everyone has contributed to the decline.

JRC2024
JRC2024 08/05/12 - 11:49 am
PATTI, I went clubbing on the

PATTI, I went clubbing on the weekends from early evening until the wee wee hours of the morning and sometimes on Wednesdays when it was two for one but I never never thought of robbing, hurting or stealing from anyone. The culture of the welfare and entitlement crown is just disgusting and you are right in saying that it all starts at home. Personally I think the welfare mothers should be fixed along with the fathers if they can find them so they do not reproduce and put children into the same horrible enviromnent. I know this is harsh and alot will disagree but some draconian measure has to be done to interupt the welfare cycle. Programs do not work. They only help the situation of dependence along.

Patty-P
Patty-P 08/05/12 - 01:35 pm
JRC2024 I certainly hope you

JRC2024 I certainly hope you weren't out 'clubbing' at the age of 15/16 until the wee hours of the morning with your parents permission. Kids are growing up way too fast these days. In my opinion, that is inappropriate for a child that age.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 08/05/12 - 06:20 pm
JRC's comment

I am in total agreement with you that something has to be done to stop this wild 'reproduction' of criminals. The government is so concerned in all other matters of this country - why not find a way (hopefully there is someone smart enough to figure it out) to stop this cycle of criminality? Welfare handouts are galore - why not some control of those recipients? Surely there has to be a way, and soon!!

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/05/12 - 06:22 pm
I agree with Patty P. We have

I agree with Patty P. We have a value problem and an authority problem and unfortunately the very one we seek help from, the government, is the root of the problem. Expecting government to cure the social ills is like asking a drug addict to inventory the pharmacy.

cheapster505
cheapster505 08/06/12 - 11:40 am
conservat man

section8" 1k a month they pay 120$ you pay the rest , US taxpayers
while sec 8 ers wait for their refunds and pay nothing so off to the car dealers 30'000 on the sec 8 waiting list x number of counties x number of States = million s billions lets hope someone raises the ratio of rent to income

cheapster505
cheapster505 08/06/12 - 11:46 am
surprize

so this wasn't two hooded kkk members good ol' boys out for some fun? nope it's the new improved kkk your kids out to terrorize the poor weak and disadvantaged your new KKK is living in your neighborhoods
because when we hear from the parents odf these "YOUTH" they were churchgoing God fearing boys who never did nothing wrong to no body
and loved their grandma same o samo

cheapster505
cheapster505 08/06/12 - 11:48 am
hoodie ?

there will be no hoodie wearing for him or them either

SPARKSTER83
SPARKSTER83 08/07/12 - 10:11 am
THESE TEENS HAVE NO

THESE TEENS HAVE NO PARENTING,THE PARENTS ARE LIKELY THUGS THEMSELVES.THEY HAVE MOST LIKELY BEEN RAISING THEMSELVES SINCE THEY COULD WALK.I REALLY DO NOT BLAME THESE KIDS BECAUSE THIS IS THE ONLY LIFE THEY HAVE EVER KNOWN.MY HEART ACHES FOR THE MOTHER OF THE VICTIM THIS IS SUCH A SAD STORY NO MATTER WHAT PART OF TOWN IT HAPPENED IN.AND BELIVE ME THERE ARE ALOT MORE JUST LIKE THESE TWO BOYS OUT THERE JUST LOOKING TO DO BAD DEEDS.

Setback for health care law

WASHINGTON - A federal appeals court has delivered a serious setback to President Barack Obama's health care law, potentially derailing subsidies for many low- and middle-income people who have ...