Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teens plead not guilty to gluing Greenbrier High locks

JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
Her head covered, one of the former students rushes to her car after Friday's hearing.
Friday, Aug 3, 2012 4:21 PM
Last updated 11:38 PM

Four teenage girls accused of gluing locks at Green­brier High School in May pleaded not guilty Friday.

One of the four Greenbrier students charged with gluing the locks at the school in May hides her face as she leaves the Columbia County Courthouse after pleading not guilty at an arraignment hearing Friday.  JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF

Greenbrier seniors Brook­lyn Leigh Bella, Dyni­sha Antionette Clemons, Elizabeth Sutton Metz and Kristin Arey Tannehill were indicted in July on charges of second-degree criminal trespass in what was described as a “senior prank.” They pleaded not guilty at an arraignment hearing in Evans.

They were arrested May 14 after three people squirted glue into exterior locks May 11 and caused more than $4,000 in damage, according to Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris.

Greenbrier staffers arriving to school found that the lock cylinders on 43 exterior doors – including those on portable classrooms – had been disabled with glue.

A 15-year-old male student, whose name has not been released because of his age, was arrested May 17 in the incident. His case is still pending in Columbia County Juvenile Court, Judge Doug Flanagan said.

School officials barred the girls from attending their graduation ceremony and demanded they pay to fix the locks before giving them their diplomas or releasing their second-semester grades.

Metz is the only one of the four who has not paid her portion of the restitution, according to school Superintendent Charles Nagle.

When six Lakeside High School seniors committed a similar prank in June 1993, they were charged with second-degree criminal damage to property, suspended from school and barred from taking part in graduation ceremonies. Those students
also had to pay restitution before receiving their diplomas.

In January 2006, seven Burke County High School students were arrested after they squirted glue into the locks of 33 doors and two gates, causing about $3,000 in damage, according to a report from The True Citizen in Waynesboro, Ga.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/03/12 - 04:58 pm
This is where I tick people off

This is where I tick people off. I didn't think what they did deserved the punishment they received and potential penalty they faced in court. I hope they are found not guilty.

I remembered a similar circumstance at LHS where all the circumstances were bent to make sure nothing happened to the culprits when the right principal was in charge. The Greenbrier incident was kids stuff, but everyone wanted to punish them like it was a B-rated movie, "Cheerleaders in Prison." Something weird about that.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/03/12 - 05:48 pm
Nip it in the bud.

Throw the book at them. If not, these hoodlums are headed for a life of crime. Obviously the product of poor or absent parenting and members of the entitlement crowd.

mangum
mangum 08/03/12 - 06:07 pm
punishment

to may tick off !!
perhaps you might have a different opinion if it was your stuff, and it was going to cost you $4000 to fix, whom do you think should repair those doors!! ok i have an idea , you start by submitting the first $500 contribution on their behalf to repair those doors, and as far as the other stuff, it is what other kids got , so seems right and just,

TheBigBonk
TheBigBonk 08/03/12 - 06:17 pm
Hmmm

Three of the girls already paid restitution? If you are pleading not guilty, wouldn't it be a good idea to wait until after the trial to decide to pay or not?

sawgrass
sawgrass 08/03/12 - 06:54 pm
Tick people off

Riverman1 - how can you defend these people when they destroy property? This is not "kids stuff." This is vandalism.

TheBigBonk
TheBigBonk 08/03/12 - 06:59 pm
?

Sawgrass, this is what confuses me. If they admitted to the principal that they did it, pleading not guilty would do no good b/c the prosecuter could just call the principal to testify. If they didn't admit it, then as of now, we don't know if they did it or not.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/03/12 - 07:02 pm
So unfair to judge their

So unfair to judge their parents so harshly. I know two of the four involved and they are good people and parents. Kids make mistakes in the best and the least of families. Best to just take a good breath and say thanks it isn't one of our own.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 08/03/12 - 07:02 pm
Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/03/12 - 07:12 pm
river, exactly what part of

river, exactly what part of their punishment due you think they didn't deserve?? They DID squirt the glue in the locks and the cost for repairs was more than $4000, right? Making the locks inoperable and useless was the goal, right? The officials stated they must pay for restitution,and if they didn't, they couldn't get their diplomas or their grades....you know that sort of thing happens with selling homes and property,right...something called a lien? In other words, you have to clear up legal matters BEFORE you get to proceed with a transaction or an event that involves that legal matter. So, that part is obviously clear. I guess that means you don't agree with them not being able to participate in their graduation ceremony with their peers? Peers who otherwise have completed their senior year without being involved in criminal behavior that involves their high school. In this case, the blame for the way this event is unfolding is shifting from the child to the parents. The parents are choosing to fight a situation in which their little darling is obviously in the wrong. If it were my kid, and it was obvious they did the deed, I would be the first person to have written a check for my kid's share and tell my kid to suck it up and take their punishment like an adult! Then it'd be over with. The school system does not want to punish their child to the point their academic career is tainted or jeopardized. River, tell the truth....you just want to stir the pot, don't ya?

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/03/12 - 07:14 pm
One more thing...if that

One more thing...if that little girl in the picture thinks she's "not guilty", then why is she covering her head??? Yeah..maybe she's just having a bad hair day!

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/03/12 - 07:27 pm
Do the crime, do the time!!

These girls were old enough to know there would be consequences to their actions and they accepted those terms when they chose to commit the crime. Riverman's comments didn't tick me off, I'm used to ignorance coming from bleeding hearts, just didn't expect it from him. Then again he's surprised me a lot lately with things that have me smdh. He's definitely not who I thought he was. He must know one of these girls or their families. I mean really...trying to excuse their actions because some snakes allowed other vandals to get away with it. As we see there were other examples 20 years ago and 6 years ago where they didn't. So According to Riverman if one murderer gets off easy, we should let them all get off easy. What kind of bull is that?? smdh again!

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/03/12 - 07:45 pm
Riverman are you referring to the 1998 mess?

The 14 students responsible for the shaving cream, toilet paper and motor oil mess spread over school grounds. You are not comparing making a mess that can be cleaned up to permanent damage of thousands of dollars and interruption of classes are you?? OMG. You are getting worse by the day!!!

And heres some extra reading on that also.. http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/1998/06/10/op_230594.shtml

Jake
Jake 08/03/12 - 07:43 pm
@Willow

Do you think that even if they have "good parents" that they should be made to make restitution? Damage was done and they should pay. It seems pretty simple to me but maybe I am too simple minded.
Riverman, don't you think that they should also be made to make restitution as a fair punishment?
I think the restitution part is fair. Criminal record, not so much.
And what makes Metz so special that she can't (or won't) do her part in restitution? Entitlement mentality?

TheBigBonk
TheBigBonk 08/03/12 - 07:52 pm
So I'm a little new to the

So I'm a little new to the story. We are all absolutely sure they did it?

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/03/12 - 07:56 pm
You Fell for his Trick!

Riverman 1 is laughing his "A" off because all of you fell into his trap with your comments! He probably was just trying to see how many of you would bite! Not a good idea to super glue the locks but with restitution it should be a forgiveable offense! Get 'em Riverman!

Sweet son
Sweet son 08/03/12 - 07:57 pm
OH!

My comment was also bait! LOL!

KSL
119011
KSL 08/03/12 - 08:09 pm
Sweet Son, he has held that

Sweet Son, he has held that position from the get go.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/03/12 - 08:12 pm
No one has been convicted

No one has been convicted yet, although they were not allowed to walk at graduation. 4 of the 5 paid for the damages. What more do you want? It was a senior prank.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/03/12 - 08:33 pm
Sweet son, I don't think you

Sweet son, I don't think you know who is jiving who on here. Riverman has been consistent across this instance and other instances of juvenile pranks. Im the one laughing my A off because I opened the door for all the folks who want blood from these students. And, willow's position just seems to blow in the wind depending if she knows someone or not,

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/03/12 - 08:35 pm
Jake I do think proper

Jake I do think proper restitution is always appropriate. It is the way we learn not to repeat the same mistakes. I just never get the viscous attitudes of some people's comments. You would think they have a personal reason to hate these folks. I wonder about the Metz family as well. Don't know them. Perhaps they don't have the money, or are unwilling to shell it out for her so easily, or even could be following legal advice. I'm sure all the parents involved want their girls to learn and grow through this.

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/03/12 - 08:40 pm
Really Riverman??

Well why don't we let all crimes off with restitution only?? Do you really think they were not old enough to know the difference in a prank and real damage?? TP'ing a house is a prank, gluing the locks is not. Same with schools. Come on...you're smarter than that man. Well you used to be.

I guess all teen crimes should be covered with restitution only according to River and Jake. If these kids, about to be adults released into the world on their own, are too stupid to understand or accept the consequences of these actions, we need to raise the driving age before they kill someone....and geesh they dang sure don't need to be voting!!

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/03/12 - 08:44 pm
Palmetto , put some evidence

Palmetto , put some evidence where your rudeness exists. I will say I have ALWAYS shown compassion and understanding for people in difficult circumstances. Prove otherwise.

I don't think you were baiting anyone. Just attempting to cover your own embarrassment.

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/03/12 - 08:46 pm
Nobody wants blood.

There is a law on the books, if it's broken charges are deserved. Sentencing is another thing. If they didn't know it was a felony, they should have though about that before committing the crime. They should use their first offender status and just make sure they walk a straight line in the future. Its a good lesson in consequences. Anyone who doesn't understand that, well you're part of the problem.

KSL
119011
KSL 08/03/12 - 08:52 pm
Harmless senior pranks don't

Harmless senior pranks don't involve thousands of dollars in property damage.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/03/12 - 09:04 pm
I agree with you, KSL. It was

I agree with you, KSL. It was a costly senior prank. I'm wondering if the principals aren't having pre senior meetings with so many taking place. You know an upfront discussion of what is expected . Ours were in private school and did not receive their diplomas until the final exit. Kids today seem less mature to me.

uga1988
uga1988 08/03/12 - 09:10 pm
This doesn't add up

The girls were caught, presented restitution options, and now they are facing criminal charges? The CCBOE should drop charges in exchange for the restitution.

Regardless, I believe the girls are guilty and the county is unnecessarily forcing this issue with a criminal trial that will cost the taxpayers precious funds that it cannot afford. We've got to be smarter choosing which battles we fight. The girls have been punished and the three that paid restitution should have their charges dismissed.

KSL
119011
KSL 08/03/12 - 09:12 pm
I agree on the lack of

I agree on the lack of maturity many seem to display.

Jake
Jake 08/03/12 - 09:12 pm
Less mature?

Willow, is it a matter of being less mature or a matter of knowing that whatever you do you will be covered by your parents? I don't know the answer to that because each family is different. When I graduated in 1968 we did not do any senior "pranks" because it was made very clear that if you screw up at the end of the year then your diploma would be withheld. Aquinas High was pretty strict then and probably the same now.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/03/12 - 09:34 pm
Willow, harken back to your

Willow, harken back to your comments on the "Charlie rape gang.". Of course you can argue that the offenses cannot be compared...but I see it as juvenile pranks by juveniles, the gang members were significantly younger, that can be handled more appropriately and effectively without the largely ineffective criminal justice system

Frank I
Frank I 08/03/12 - 09:44 pm
answer for "Just My Opinion"

she's covering her head after pleading not guilty because so many of you have decided her fate and punishment..

Germany wins World Cup

RIO DE JANEIRO - Mario Goetze volleyed in the winning goal in extra time to give Germany its fourth World Cup title with a 1-0 victory over Argentina on Sunday.