Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teens plead not guilty to gluing Greenbrier High locks

JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
Her head covered, one of the former students rushes to her car after Friday's hearing.
Friday, Aug 3, 2012 4:21 PM
Last updated 11:38 PM

Four teenage girls accused of gluing locks at Green­brier High School in May pleaded not guilty Friday.

One of the four Greenbrier students charged with gluing the locks at the school in May hides her face as she leaves the Columbia County Courthouse after pleading not guilty at an arraignment hearing Friday.  JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF
JIM BLAYLOCK/STAFF

Greenbrier seniors Brook­lyn Leigh Bella, Dyni­sha Antionette Clemons, Elizabeth Sutton Metz and Kristin Arey Tannehill were indicted in July on charges of second-degree criminal trespass in what was described as a “senior prank.” They pleaded not guilty at an arraignment hearing in Evans.

They were arrested May 14 after three people squirted glue into exterior locks May 11 and caused more than $4,000 in damage, according to Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris.

Greenbrier staffers arriving to school found that the lock cylinders on 43 exterior doors – including those on portable classrooms – had been disabled with glue.

A 15-year-old male student, whose name has not been released because of his age, was arrested May 17 in the incident. His case is still pending in Columbia County Juvenile Court, Judge Doug Flanagan said.

School officials barred the girls from attending their graduation ceremony and demanded they pay to fix the locks before giving them their diplomas or releasing their second-semester grades.

Metz is the only one of the four who has not paid her portion of the restitution, according to school Superintendent Charles Nagle.

When six Lakeside High School seniors committed a similar prank in June 1993, they were charged with second-degree criminal damage to property, suspended from school and barred from taking part in graduation ceremonies. Those students
also had to pay restitution before receiving their diplomas.

In January 2006, seven Burke County High School students were arrested after they squirted glue into the locks of 33 doors and two gates, causing about $3,000 in damage, according to a report from The True Citizen in Waynesboro, Ga.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/03/12 - 09:48 pm
Jake, I seriously believe

Jake, I seriously believe that it is some of both. I admit with mine in the early years, I was mommy to the rescue. I had to learn myself that sometimes love must be soft and other times hard. I had to wean her of expecting me to fix all her problems. I still show her love though even when she messes up. Most of us are prone to one side or the other of how we love. Too much of either side causes more problems, don't you think? I am sure you can tell which way I leaned. My own father was excellent in finding a good balance.

r
r 08/03/12 - 09:52 pm
How may places can the be charged!!!

The school punished them. There graduation day was taking away and I have no problem with that. They had to explain to all their friends and family why they didn't walk. All but one paid the money to have it fixed. It was a stupid prank should tax payer dollars continue to take them to court? It will not pull jail time only parent and tax payer dollars. I am sure the tax payer money will be greater than the parent money in the end.. Let's go for a killer, drug dealer, or a drunk driver. Someone who can really harm us.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/03/12 - 09:55 pm
Palmetto, I will have to look

Palmetto, I will have to look back and see what I felt about that. I'll let you know. What else you got? Take a look at the transvestite from UGA and some of my comments on black and white women who committed crimes. That ought to be interesting.

I see you are a male and feel I've been unjust to the fellas. Maybe. I have I don't know, but I'll look into it

Gotta dry my hair.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/03/12 - 09:59 pm
Sorry, willow. Not into

Sorry, willow. Not into transvestites. Just kids being stupid kids.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 08/03/12 - 10:36 pm
I doubt you'll find me very

I doubt you'll find me very guilty if we are going to limit it to kids. But we will see. Sorry if I offended you earlier.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 08/03/12 - 10:42 pm
Yes, ma'am. I am a fan of

Yes, ma'am. I am a fan of yours.

Jake
Jake 08/03/12 - 10:49 pm
Willow

Thanks for your responses. You have usually seemed reasonable to me. I know you are a mom who cares. Hope your hair is dry, ahhh, the visual.

Karen Slater-McDaniel
Karen Slater-McDaniel 08/03/12 - 11:41 pm
How do we know?

How do we even know if if costs $4k for the locks? Was there a bid to replace or repair the locks? I'm sorry but YES some of us did pranks as teenagers. Eggs, toilet paper, beer cans, etc. To make this part of a criminal history crossed the line. Restitution? YES ... but take bids & divide it 5 ways. The rest is crap.

HighSociety
HighSociety 08/04/12 - 12:26 am
As much as I hate to say this

As much as I hate to say this I agree with those saying the possible punishment doesn't fit the crime. Pay for the damage and the rest is history. We all did stupid stuff at one time. I doubt these girls had a clue what kind of damage this prank would cause.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/04/12 - 05:44 am
Sheriff Andy would have

Sheriff Andy would have handled it much differently. Of course Barney would lock um up. We have taken the Barney approach and will have Aunt Bee, Floyd the Barber, and the rest of the town in court for the biggest trial in these parts in decades. Y'all put the bullet back in your pocket.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/04/12 - 06:21 am
High

This time I 100% agree with you....

I doubt the girls knew how much damage they did.....so take them off the witches pole...let em live.....put the stones down...

Jane18
Jane18 08/04/12 - 08:48 am
Not just vandals

They are pleading not guilty? They already admitted they put the glue in the locks.................Now they are liars too!! They, and their parents, could have straightened this out the moment it was found out who the "culprits" were!!

David Parker
David Parker 08/04/12 - 08:59 am
Lot of good stuff here. UGA

Lot of good stuff here. UGA said it right, choose your battles. Like we all do every day in our lives. Mine are with one of my kids and he's winning even still. It's a natural human response to reflect on what happened and forgive at times. Or just accept that there are greater issues at hand. You really think prosecution is going to be a catalyst for a change in the culture of our youth? No. It's most appropriate for the parents to handle that and with the ridicule they are experiencing, I would guess they are making it their number one priority.

augustarookie
augustarookie 08/04/12 - 09:36 am
Sniffing glue

Wonder if those who thing they should get off have been sniffing glue

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 08/04/12 - 10:36 am
To Frank I.....

"she's covering her head after pleading not guilty because so many of you have decided her fate and punishment.."

Well, thanks for that and I have to wholeheartedly agree with you! Glad you see it our way. She knows that it makes no sense to plead not guilty when it's obvious she participated in the damage and should pay for it. The question that so many have here is how much should she have to pay? I think the punishment doled out was appropriate...as long as they've done that, then that should be the end of it. The school board has no interest in ruining their lives over a few locks! You know...I wish the press would've taken another picture,and that's of the parents coming out of the courtroom! I wonder if they were as wise as this little girl and would cover THEIR heads?
Not to be too harsh, but the bottom line is that this would all go away RIGHT NOW if the parents would have the kids pay the money (3 of the 4 have, right?) and all have had to sit out their graduation ceremony. Not one person wants these kids to have a scarlet letter marked upon them for the rest of their lives! I know that I have done a few STUPID things in my past that I am so very grateful have never come out (yeah...no political career for me! LOL!), so I know I want it to be over with for these kids. I made my restitution, and they should also. They'll be better off for it.
Like Willow, I have to go dry my hair now!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 08/04/12 - 11:30 am
Plea Bargain

The not guilty pleas are there to try and get the charge reduced to a misdemeanor. I agree with that. They shouldn't have a felony record for what they did.

Tullie
Tullie 08/04/12 - 03:43 pm
According to Georgia law, you

According to Georgia law, you could be facing criminal damage charges if you intentionally damage property and the damage is valued at more than $500 and that is considered a felony.

It is their doing all this is happening..not a matter of anyone being heavy handed and trying to force an issue.

I personally don't consider this a prank, it is vandalism. Pranks are typically lighthearted and usually reversible. They do not cost thousands of dollars to replace or repair items.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/04/12 - 06:50 pm
So raise your hand if you

So raise your hand if you seriously want them to go to prison? I'm tired of pointing out what a minor prank this is that didn't hurt anyone and they paid to fix the damage, even if it was unintended. Okay, who wants them to go to prison?

The girl in the photo hid her face like many do even if they are not guilty. Also, keep in mind things told to school officials are done under certain conditions that are not legal. Or it may be NOTHING was said to school officials, yet officials took it upon themselves to administer punishment believing they knew what had happened. School actions and law are not the same.

Tullie
Tullie 08/05/12 - 05:52 am
Minor prank? Gee..what is

Minor prank? Gee..what is your idea of a major prank? Is it only a minor prank because these girls live on the right side of town?

And if they were not guilty why would you pay for the damages? I wouldn't. I would be hollerin that I didn't do it and and I am not paying for it. And it is my understanding that at least one of the girls has not paid her share.

All that aside, I was trying to explain to the folks why they had to go for criminal damages as well.

I seriously doubt they go to prison and personally would not want them to end up in prison for being stupid, thoughtless, and destructive children. How about some probation and community service?

GaStang22
GaStang22 08/05/12 - 07:17 am
Nobody said prison!!

But the crime was a felony and charged correctly. Letting them get away with it deters no one. Criminally prosecuting the ones before them didn't even work!! So you want less punishment?? They committed a felony and if they are troublemakers with a criminal past, they really deserve it. If they are good kids, they can take a first offender walk the straight and narrow which should be easy to do and all will be fine without jail time. Good to know you dont mind 17 & 18 year old kids shooting all the windows out of your car and house as long as they pay for it, then the next weeks new ones can and its ok as long as they pay for it. How long until you've had enough??? How long until you want harsher consequences to let them know its not ok?? I'm just happy you guys have never ever reported to the police or pressed charges on anyone before as long as the damage, intentional or not, was paid for, even if it was 5k and you had to front the money. So many of you compassionate posters have that much laying around to spend on criminal acts. How nice.

All I know was at that age, I was smart enough to know what kind of damage that would cause, I was smart enough to know eggs and shaving cream can cause damage to vehicles. Toilet paper is a prank. This was not. Sorry, I don't buy the innocent BS of someone whos practically and adult "didn't know". They did know......They just didn't think they'd get caught!!

KSL
119103
KSL 08/05/12 - 08:40 am
According to the. Chronicle,

According to the. Chronicle, these girls were not able to bring up an original prank. So they resurected an old one where the punishments were known. Did the 3 who have made restitution actually have to give up spending money or did Mommy and Daddy take care of it for them?

KSL
119103
KSL 08/05/12 - 08:54 am
I agree, Tuilly. More

I agree, Tuilly. More punishment than parents paying restitution. If that is the case, they have not learned a dangged thing.

KSL
119103
KSL 08/05/12 - 01:58 pm
A plea of "Not Guilty" gets

A plea of "Not Guilty" gets you a trial. That's what they are after......a trial.

KSL
119103
KSL 08/05/12 - 02:22 pm
River, I don't usually

River, I don't usually disagree with you, but I seriously doubt the damage was unintended. That they would be caught was the unintended consequence. Their punishment needs to be more than parents covering for there damage.

Walking across the stage to pick up a diploma meant nothing to me. I was expected to graduate from high school and college. Mail it and leave me be. Had to go to both. Had to speak as the Valedictorian in high school. In college we were also required to be there. I would gladly have skipped the pomp and circumstance.

KSL
119103
KSL 08/05/12 - 02:25 pm
And, if I had to appear in

And, if I had to appear in court, I would have chosen a dress or skirt with a longer hemline.

HighSociety
HighSociety 08/06/12 - 10:19 pm
KSL, Your 2:25 was great!

KSL, Your 2:25 was great!