Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man accused of sucking teen's toe in Grovetown Walmart won't be charged

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 4:22 PM
Last updated 9:00 PM

Authorities won’t charge a man accused of sucking a teen’s toes at the Grovetown Walmart.

Joey William Leaphart, of Langley, won't be charged after his arrest.  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Joey William Leaphart, of Langley, won't be charged after his arrest.

The 18-year-old girl said July 10 that Joey William Leaphart, of Langley, tricked her into letting him suck her toes in the store, according to a Columbia County sheriff’s report.

Leaphart won’t be charged because the teen consented, sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said.

The girl said she was shopping when a man asked whether her toenails were painted. After replying yes and asking why he wanted to know, she was asked whether she had watched America’s Funniest Home Videos, according to the report.

The man told her he was with the show and said that if she complied with his requests, everything she purchased that day would be free. She reluctantly agreed to his taking a picture of her foot.

The man guided her to an area behind a clothing rack, dropped to the floor, grabbed her ankle and said, “Don’t worry. I don’t bite.” He then started sucking her big toe. The girl screamed at him to stop and told him to leave.

Before the man ran from the store, he told her, “It tasted so good, though,” according to the report.

Leaphart was previously arrested for similar incidents. He became a registered sex offender in Decem­ber 2000 when he pleaded guilty to performing a lewd act on a person under 16 for licking the toes of an 11-year-old girl. In 2002, a jury acquitted Leaphart of aggravated battery after a 22-year-old woman said he forced himself on her foot.

On Feb. 17, Leaphart was arrested and charged with solicitation for contribution after approaching women in North Augusta Plaza and asking for money, according to the North Augusta Department of Public Safety.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/31/12 - 04:35 pm
I just don't know what to say

I just don't know what to say about this guy. I'll tell you one thing, if I ever saw him coming on to my daughter, he'd be getting his jollies with MY foot stuck right up his ask me where I'd put it!! What a sicko! I mean it. I am so glad they published his picture with this story!

grouse
grouse 07/31/12 - 04:46 pm
A semantics question: is she

A semantics question: is she a girl or a woman? The law defines her as an adult. The use of "teen" is accurate, but the article later refers to a 22-year-old woman, so my guess is the reporter is using the 21-year-old drinking age as a standard. The Chronicle and New-Times both are inconsistent on this.

Barry Paschal 07/31/12 - 04:54 pm
Answer for Grouse

The 22-year-old is a separate victim. The teen referenced is 18. There also was an 11-year-old victim mentioned.

NancyCasto
NancyCasto 07/31/12 - 04:59 pm
Sick

He sounds mentally unbalanced. This man is sick.

myfather15
myfather15 07/31/12 - 05:25 pm
The man is a SICKO, not sick.

The man is a SICKO, not sick. I could care less if he is "mentally unbalanced." Put him in prison before he really hurts someone. He will, watch and see. Fetishes usually graduate because they can't satisfiy them.

KSL
KSL 07/31/12 - 05:32 pm
That store needs to do what

That store needs to do what the Richland Ave. Walmart did: ban him from entering the store.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/31/12 - 05:41 pm
The use of "girl" for the 18

The use of "girl" for the 18 year-old is obviously journalistic license to further sensationalize the story and evoke emotional reaction. Despite the fact it is archaic and demeaning to the woman.

OccamsRazor
OccamsRazor 07/31/12 - 06:03 pm
Sick?

I believe that this fellow needed to be charged with a crime, but I don't believe that he is a "sicko" or "sick" because he has a fetish. He duped a young woman into "consenting" to a sexual act in public, despite the fact that he got off the hook for it. I don't particularly care that he is aroused by feet. In my opinion, people should be free to do whatever they like in their own bedrooms, as long as their partner is a consenting adult. Just because I think that feet are kind of gross doesn't make him a sicko. However, this guy couldn't keep it to himself. Approaching a lady in in public and tricking her into allowing him to suck her toes behind a Wal-Mart clothes rack signals a deeper problem. It's not too far removed from him forcing himself on her, in my opinion.

r
r 07/31/12 - 06:13 pm
Toes!!!!

What an hang up would you really want to put a strangers toes in your mouth!!!! He needs some intensive therapy!!! Of course offering your toes to a man asking you to go behind a clothes rack, may need some help also!!!

harley_52
harley_52 07/31/12 - 06:22 pm
I Am Not....

...surprised.

Jake
Jake 07/31/12 - 06:22 pm
Charges

I think he should be charged with at least something. Practicing Oral Podiatry without a license? Big toe assault?

KSL
KSL 07/31/12 - 06:59 pm
She might need to be charged

She might need to be charged to agreeing to doing something kinky in a business establishment. I am in no way excusing him. You aren't supposed to be clueless if you are an 18 year old female.

lddist
lddist 07/31/12 - 07:04 pm
I seen this guy the other

I seen this guy the other day...driving a toe truck...

KSL
KSL 07/31/12 - 07:04 pm
Occam's, not certain what

Occam's, not certain what your definition of a "lady" is. Mine does not include selling the sucking of my toe for the camera. Nor for off camera, for that matter.

Kingbiscuitboy
Kingbiscuitboy 07/31/12 - 07:30 pm
Trash...just trash

Anybody else notice that walmart attracts all the trash around town?

KSL
KSL 07/31/12 - 07:45 pm
I am not trash and I shop

I am not trash and I shop there. They carry food I want and comptuter items I need without having to enlarge my carbon footprint to drive 5 miles to the other side of town.

InChristLove
InChristLove 07/31/12 - 07:55 pm
Before we condemn this young

Before we condemn this young lady I think we need to remember that she was told this was for the show "America's Funniest Home Videos", and she was told that her purchase up to $100 would be paid for. Then she was told this jerk wanted to "kiss" her foot. If he had said I want to "suck" your toe, I really don't think she would have agreed to the stunt any further.

If he had kissed her foot and then left the store without paying for the purchase and she realized it was a con, would she have reported it and would people be as upset. Kissing a foot doesn't sound as gross as sucking a toe....but either way, the guy has a serious problem.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 07/31/12 - 08:16 pm
OK

Okay, the girl/woman was ridiculously naive, dumb, I don't know! If you are already a registered sex offender though, it's obvious that kinky stuff is dangerous stuff. Should have asked a CWP holder to kiss her foot, LOL!

redapples
redapples 07/31/12 - 08:17 pm
I hope he approaches the

I hope he approaches the wrong person next time and gets a more appropriate response.

harley_52
harley_52 07/31/12 - 08:19 pm
KSL....

Possibly discussing your "carbon FOOTPRINT" would be a turn-on to Mr. Leaphart.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/31/12 - 08:36 pm
Harley

Harley has a sense of humor. Who knew???

harley_52
harley_52 07/31/12 - 08:45 pm
"Who knew???"

Only the thoughtful.

grouse
grouse 07/31/12 - 09:11 pm
Barry, please read the second

Barry, please read the second line of the article. "The 18-year-old girl..." I pointed out that the 22-year-old was a separate person...and I was not confusing the 11-year-old with the 18-year-old.

KSL
KSL 07/31/12 - 09:54 pm
Good one, Harley!

Good one, Harley!

albertoli
albertoli 08/01/12 - 08:32 am
so, if you trick someone and

so, if you trick someone and lie to them, then it is not a crime? this is sending a bad message to sex criminals, particularly to this guy. we'll see him again in the news, probably in Groovytown.

KSL
KSL 07/31/12 - 10:01 pm
As I posted before some days

As I posted before some days ago, for an 18 year old girl to be that naive this day and time is totally unbelievable. What we are actually seeing in her behavior is totally something different that this person, not the word I wanted to use, took advantage of.

KSL
KSL 07/31/12 - 10:06 pm
Yep, seems we could have

Yep, seems we could have seen him several times before. 3 strikes needs to include 3 misdemeanors of this nature.

KSL
KSL 07/31/12 - 10:12 pm
Yep, seems we could have

KSL
KSL 07/31/12 - 10:28 pm
And yes, Nancy, he is sick.

And yes, Nancy, he is sick. He doesn't at this point, after these instances, need to be "roaming around."

noils
noils 07/31/12 - 10:57 pm
That's a relief.

For a moment I thought Fox News analyst Dick Morris must be in town.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...