Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Scott Dean's daughter arrested

Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:14 PM
Last updated 10:13 PM

The oldest adopted daughter of convicted child molester and former Columbia County Commissioner Scott Dean is in jail on charges of burglary and theft by receiving stolen property.

Marlin Azucena Dean, 19, was arrested Saturday in Harlem. Details of the incident had not been released Sunday afternoon.

Scott Dean, who was convicted in Decem­ber of molesting another of his adopted teen daughters, was denied a new trial in February.

Allegations about Dean came to light when Marlin ran away from home and was later found in Mexico. In a phone conversation with investigators, she said Dean had tried to have sex with her. She later recanted.

She was being held Sunday in the Columbia County Detention Center. No bond had been set.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/22/12 - 05:25 pm
Well now

This will be interesting.....

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 07/22/12 - 05:26 pm
Wow

This is something else.

rebellious
rebellious 07/22/12 - 05:31 pm
Whaat?

Who said Richmond County had the corner on crime and drama in the CSauraA. If not for the tragedy of the minors involved, this would be better than Jersey Shore.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/22/12 - 05:33 pm
Better than the Sheriffs race

Better than the Sheriffs race rebel>>

scoobynews
scoobynews 07/22/12 - 07:08 pm
Are we surprised? nope!

Are we surprised? nope!

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/22/12 - 08:40 pm
This has all just been an

This has all just been an absolute disaster for the Dean family. I'm not happy to see this report on this young lady. I have great sympathy for her, but I never trusted her entire testimony. I also never thought Scott Dean got a fair trial or that his sentence was in any way just. His past made him so unlikeable and there was so much information that was prejudicial and questionable testimony which left only the involved parties knowing the real truth.

I hope they all get second chances for their lives. And I also hope people will take their pain into consideration when making their remarks.

KSL
KSL 07/22/12 - 09:33 pm
2012 soap opera material.

2012 soap opera material, the whole thing.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/22/12 - 09:36 pm
Your last sentence was a good

Your last sentence was a good point. There is nothing but sadness in this entire saga. And for some reason, I don't think it's over.

rebellious
rebellious 07/22/12 - 09:43 pm
Sad, just sad

Lives are destroyed everyday by lax or absent parentage. Me thinks, this is no different.

KSL
KSL 07/22/12 - 10:27 pm
And perhaps their adoptees,

And perhaps their adoptees, or some of them had preexisting problems. I don't know and I don't care to know.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/23/12 - 05:00 am
Me thinks

This is not the only article some need to watch their comments!

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/23/12 - 07:09 am
I always felt there was

I always felt there was something wrong with this case and although I was not on the jury, I always questioned his guilt. You just never know and if a child is being abused or molested you want the perp to pay but I was not sure about this one at all. The media is often one sided and people already have a preconcieved notion of the truth before trial. My prayers are with this family, all of them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/23/12 - 07:37 am
Willow, This is the Other Daughter

This is the daughter who testified FOR Dean. She came back and lived with Dean's wife for awhile, etc. Dean's wife is the one who said she stole some jewelry.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/23/12 - 08:25 am
River, when I read this, I

River, when I read this, I had the feeling that the complaint might have come from home. I am wondering if Mrs. Dean stopped to think about what was going to happen to her before she reported it. Of course, there could also be a lot more going on.

I had a friend who wanted to teach her son a lesson for taking a check out of her purse. That lesson's been going on now for about 7 years in the state penitentiary. It wasn't at all what she had in mind when she made the call.

I am a little confused by your comment on how she helped Dean other than recanting. The court must have believed her first testimony instead of her second one.

I’m still hoping that this story will have a redeeming end for all of them. It’s all heartbreaking to me.

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/23/12 - 08:33 am
Recant

Once you state something it is hard to take it back. She helped him right into prison by her initial statement, and maybe he deserved it, maybe not. I don't have alot of faith in our system anymore.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/23/12 - 08:45 am
You Never Know

When one enters the judicial system, events slip out of your control, and you are at the mercy of people who don't care for you. They are obliged by their oaths to think of you as a despicable lawbreaker. Your lawyer is your only advocate, and he is usually busy juggling a score of cases.

Sometimes the District Attorney rules that a person caught red-handed did not have “criminal intent” when breaking the law, e.g. Lee Benedict. Sometimes, the initial complainant wishes to recant and withdraw the complaint, but the District Attorney presses ahead to trial full force, e.g. Alvin Mason. Sometimes, even when there was clearly no crime committed, a vicious special prosecutor will proceed to trial for political correctness to please a mob, e.g., George Zimmerman.

I stand with Willow in believing that Scott Dean was given way too harsh a sentence. In fact, I believe (just based on newspaper accounts) that the District Attorney did not prove him guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 07/23/12 - 09:28 am
Criminal law 101 by little

Criminal law 101 by little lamb.....priceless!!!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/23/12 - 09:34 am
This Daughter Said the Other Sister Lied

Even though she first said Dean had done the deeds, this is the daughter who took up for Dean and said the other sister made it up so the whole thing is kind of strange that Renee would now say she stole her jewelry. Here is a quote from the AC:

"Dean’s oldest daughter, Marlin, testified at the hearing that her sister lied by telling a Guatemalan judge that her biological father murdered her brother. Marlin said the false testimony was an attempt by her sister to get her and her family into an orphanage.

At the trial, Theodocion alleged the girl gave false testimony against Dean. Marlin testified then that her sister desperately wanted out of her Harlem home because she didn’t get along with Dean’s wife."

harlemgirl
harlemgirl 07/23/12 - 10:02 am
sad, sad, sad

Once again, the Deans, especially Mrs. Dean, are suffering. When a family tries to help, to do the good thing for others, it usually doesn't bring such sadness.

Of course there is alot going on that isn't public,but please know they are good people, good parents, and do not deserve any of this. Just pray for them and that God will guide them through yet another tough time.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/23/12 - 10:38 am
Byline

Hopefully, Chronicle editors have assigned this story to a real reporter so we might learn who filed the complaint, what was taken, where did the burglar(ies) take place, and when the events unfolded.

happychimer
happychimer 07/23/12 - 11:29 am
I am surprised that comments

I am surprised that comments have been allowed on this story. I remember when the 1st story broke, and Marline Dean ran away to Mexico, the comments were closed. Any ordinary family, and they would not be protected, but because of the name and influence, they are protected from the public knowing what's happened.no surprise this time.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/23/12 - 12:07 pm
happy, AC usually shuts down

happy, AC usually shuts down the comments when they get grossly out of line and it takes too much time to monitor them. Comments are supposed to be made only about the person featured in the story, not other family members, particularly if they are made in a derogatory manner. This is my understanding from ACS, though I could be mistaken.

happychimer
happychimer 07/23/12 - 12:36 pm
Willow that is the way it is

Willow that is the way it is suppose to be, but it is not always that way.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/23/12 - 12:46 pm
my opinion

I think Scott Dean needs a new trial.
I personally think his first one was tainted by people who didn't care for him. INCLUDING THE JUDGE!
Too much BS in the first one.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 07/23/12 - 12:52 pm
Another thing

I don't trust the DA at all. All they want is a conviction whether the party is guilty or not.

harlemgirl
harlemgirl 07/23/12 - 12:56 pm
shrimp for breakfast

I have to give you an amen!

happychimer
happychimer 07/23/12 - 01:11 pm
I think the jury made the

I think the jury made the right decision. Marlin lied one time, and told the truth the other time. So which is which? Did she lie the 1st time, or lie the 2nd time?The jury saw and heard more than we did.

Sean Moores
Sean Moores 07/23/12 - 01:49 pm
@ Willow Bailey 12:07

That is exactly what we do. Thank you.

AlexisDeanRippe
AlexisDeanRippe 07/24/12 - 11:55 am
Shrimp.

Too shrimp for breakfast. Can I just say thank you! From his lil sis.