Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Augusta man gets 15-year prison sentence for beating mother

An Augusta man was sentenced to 15 years in prison Thursday for a beating that left his mother with a broken nose and bleeding from the brain.

Mark Buckner was sentenced to 15 years in prison for beating his mother.  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Mark Buckner was sentenced to 15 years in prison for beating his mother.

Mark Brandon Buckner, 25, was indicted May 15 on a charge of aggravated assault after an argument over money with his mother turned physical. The incident happened between March 27 and March 29.

Assistant District Attorney John Markwalter recommended the maximum sentence of 20 years confinement based on the “depravity and severity of the beating, particularly on his own mother.”

In Buckner’s defense, attorney Don Evans said Buckner was under the influence of cocaine and alcohol at the time of the beating and that he has expressed “extreme remorse” for his actions. Buckner has no prior criminal history.

Superior Court Judge Danny Craig sentenced Buckner to 15 years in prison, followed by five years probation, along with drug and alcohol rehabilitation.

Comments (10)

happychimer
happychimer 07/19/12 - 01:42 pm

Cocaine and alcohol are no

Cocaine and alcohol are no excuses. he chose to use them. Beating his mother is about the lowest he can get. She gave him life. The sad part is, she probably still loves him. Sad

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 07/19/12 - 03:24 pm

I would say that she does

I would say that she does love him, happy, just as we would still love ours. No winners here; the entire family is in pain. Sadly, this is going to become more common.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 07/19/12 - 03:43 pm

Cannot imagine hitting parents

My parents have never treated me very well, but I would never lay a hand on them. And I pity the fool who would touch them.

In my opinion, this clown got off too easy.

beboisme
beboisme 07/19/12 - 09:32 pm

That scar on his head looks

That scar on his head looks as though he missed his anger management class again!

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/19/12 - 09:32 pm

Beating Mom Is the lowest of

Beating Mom Is the lowest of them all.

TeresaJ
TeresaJ 07/20/12 - 09:22 am

I love you Son!

I regret to have seen this info on here. However, it is here and I will make a statement on behalf of my son. Every family has it's own problems and hopefully it is dealt with. The scar on Brandon's forehead was from a past serious skateboard incident. Brandon would never have harmed me in his own right state of mind. He has deep regrets for what has happened and will face significant punishment at his young age. This is devastating to me and his immediate family. Also, I will always love my son and only pray that he remains safe where he is. It's always a good thing to be aware of all of the facts before you post harsh judgement on an individual. Brandon is an intelligent and decent human being. His future means everything to me. I love you Brandon!

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/20/12 - 09:51 am

I reckon that about covers it.

"His future means everything to me."

I hope his future turns out better for him than his recent past was predicting. I hope he finds purpose and peace.

Kairos is a great opportunity for both, if it is ever offered to him.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 07/20/12 - 01:28 pm

Teresa

You are to be commended for loving your son despite his errors.

Hopefully he will learn his lesson and come back home to your loving arms.

God bless you and your family.

jmo
jmo 07/20/12 - 06:13 pm

Maybe

Maybe 30 years would have been more apporiate.

tygar_9500@yahoo.com
tygar_9500@yahoo.com 07/21/12 - 01:24 am

wow i cant believe this

man i know buck, and he is not like that..thats not him..im so sorry for what has happened, this shocking to me..theres still love for buck out here..not saying what he did is right, but i know thats not him..keeping him and his family in my prayers...

Jane18
Jane18 07/21/12 - 09:16 am

So, what have y'all learned?

Shouldn't someone tell ole' Buck he cannot handle alcohol and cocaine? I'm sorry Mom, surely your son did not just try alcohol and drugs this one time, so, has anyone confronted and tried to make him see the error of his ways before? I know you love your son, we all do, but, had my son EVER done something like this to me, his Dad would have kicked my sons' behind up around his neck. And I am not kidding! There are some things children just are not supposed to do.... even under the influence of drugs!!

Post exchange construction loses 40 days to winter

The $22 million expansion of Fort Gordon's Post Exchange lost nearly 40 construction days this winter, but the project's manager said Wednesday that the new facility should be ready well ahead of ...