Augusta woman scammed after meeting man on military dating site

An Augusta woman fell victim to an internet scam by wiring $5,765 to a man she met on a military dating Web site.

Tracy Burns, of the 2300 block of Walden Drive, said she communicated with Benson Shiffer, 51 – who claimed to be an Army sergeant – for several weeks on militarycupid.com and through an instant messaging service, according to a Richmond County sheriff’s incident report. Shiffer told Burns she needed to file paperwork for him to leave a foreign country where he was deployed with the Department of Defense.

Burns, 43, received paperwork on Department of Defense letterhead that requested $1,675 to allow for Shiffer’s leave. She wired the money to Jeffrey J. Cruz at Chase Bank in Copiague, New York. Shiffer then sent her a $3,380 check, allegedly from Trans American Life Insurance, which Burns was to cash and then send the money to him, according to the report.

On July 6 and 7, Burns wired $2,100 to Cruz and another $1,990 to Dee Dee Harper in Grant Pass, Ore. Burns received another $3,380 check. When she tried to cash it, the bank informed her that both checks were bad.

Burns questioned Shiffer about the transactions and he stopped communicating with her.

Scam alerts have been linked to Shiffer and the military dating website, according to the report.

augustarookie
augustarookie 07/12/12 - 11:57 pm
This gal

must live in a shell

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/13/12 - 04:24 am
I guess he had nothing to do

I guess he had nothing to do with the military? I wish it were clearer.

corgimom
corgimom 07/13/12 - 05:25 am
She got off easy. Hope she

She got off easy. Hope she learns from this mistake.

stillamazed
stillamazed 07/13/12 - 06:23 am
Desperate for Love?

I can't believe how many people still fall for this type of thing. You have no idea who you are communicating with over the internet so what makes people think they can trust them? If a person truly cares about you they would pay to come and meet you and they certainly would not be asking for money. She should have been smart and made some calls once this request was made by Shiffer, I mean Ft Gordon is right here, it would have been easy to find out if this was truly procedure. I hate this happened to Ms. Burns but I have a hard time feeling sorry for her simply due to the fact that you hear about this type of thing all the time.

tanbaby
tanbaby 07/13/12 - 06:28 am
don't feel sorry at all for

don't feel sorry at all for people who fall for this garbage..."looking for love in all the wrong places"...

SPARKSTER83
SPARKSTER83 07/13/12 - 07:30 am
WHAT??? ARE YOU KIDDING

WHAT??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!

gapeach0870
gapeach0870 07/13/12 - 08:59 am
Let me try this again..

At the risk of my post getting flagged again, I just want to say this woman wasn't thinking too clearly when she wired that money. When she received paperwork, supposedly from the DoD, red flags should have gone up when the guy requested she send money so he can leave. I'm not in the military, but I'm certain they handle their own paperwork and expenses. Unfortunately in this day and age, too many people are scammed into thinking they are actually helping a person.

avidreader
avidreader 07/13/12 - 09:01 am
Eternal Bliss!

"Love is in the air, and eternal bliss is on my doorstep . . . "

allhans
allhans 07/13/12 - 11:01 am
I sure wish people would

I sure wish people would stop falling for these scams.
It appears to be lucrative business.
My sister almost got hooked in on one years ago. (He) " claimed to be overseas, they (some country) were holding him, and he needed desperately to get back to NC".
I told her she could be corresponding with a woman down the street..How could one possible know?

Goaliemom1987
Goaliemom1987 07/13/12 - 03:56 pm
REALLY? I can't believe

REALLY? I can't believe people still fall for that!I don't feel sorry for anyone that is that (I will be nice) naive...

harley_52
harley_52 07/13/12 - 04:30 pm
Next thing you know she'll be

Next thing you know she'll be complaining some guy who promised her a fully paid shopping spree ended up sucking her big toe.

Jake
Jake 07/13/12 - 04:58 pm
Good one

Good one harley!

KSL
KSL 07/13/12 - 07:03 pm
Is there a potential civil

By the way, is there a potential civil lawsuit against Walmart for allowing perverts to enter the store? Walmart does have deep pockets. And he had been banned from one of the Walmarts in Aiken.

KSL
KSL 07/13/12 - 07:07 pm
What about the woman who is

What about the woman who is the subject of this thread? Does she have a lawsuit against the website?

happychimer
19590
happychimer 07/13/12 - 08:10 pm
I hope she learned from her

I hope she learned from her mistakes.Now she will know if someone online wants any money, don't give it to them.My son met his wife online, and they have a very good marriage.

Dixieman
Dixieman 07/14/12 - 06:08 am
Dixieman has one billion points

Actually, this is cheaper than getting married and later paying the divorce lawyers and ex- so maybe she dodged a bullet.

Itsallnew11
Itsallnew11 07/14/12 - 05:33 pm
Go to scamwarners.com and

Go to scamwarners.com and under dating scams you can put in their "fake" name, username, e-mail address and other pertinent information and see if they have been reported for scamming others. While there you can also create a profile for this person with all of the information and load pictures is you have them in order to keep others from being scammed. Ladies be smarter when looking for love. If they ask for money immediately sever all communications with them. Militarycupid.com is the worst site I have seen for scammers.

City inspectors look to demolish Goodale House

Rob Sherman, director of Augusta's License and Inspection Department, said his staff plans to ask a State Court judge in early 2015 to order the endangered property, which was built in 1799 and is ...