Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Six victims in downtown Augusta shooting

Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Richmond County authorities are investigating a downtown Augusta shooting Friday night. There are six victims in the incident, which happened around 11:30 p.m. at the corner of Broad and Ninth streets.

Back | Next
Richmond County authorities are investigating a downtown Augusta shooting Friday night. Deputies found a gun under a car parked on the 900 block of Broad Street.  ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/STAFF
ZACH BOYDEN-HOLMES/STAFF

Deputies found a gun under a car parked on the 900 block of Broad Street.

Daniel Long, who was downtown for First Friday, said he heard four shots fired and then saw people scatter.

Capt. Scott Gay said there are people in custody, but did not say how many.

Gay said none of the injuries were life threatening.

bdouglas
bdouglas 07/07/12 - 12:43 am
Sounds like an eventful First

Sounds like an eventful First Friday...

But there's no violent crime in the CBD, right? The plot thickens...

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 07/07/12 - 01:08 am
Mr. Rose colored glasses will be here..

To explain it all away!!

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/07/12 - 02:32 am
(C)ountyman,

Which people and what gain?

boredinaug
boredinaug 07/07/12 - 02:35 am
REALLY???

One of our local tv stations did a segment, just tonight, on Augusta's First Friday's. The segment highlighted store/shop owner's who claim a decrease in sales versus bar and restaurant owner's who claim a 25% increase on First Friday's. It was stated in the segment that many store owners believe the climate has changed and First Friday's in Augusta have succumbed more to a party/bar scene. Crime was sighted (at the end of the segment) as a reason for people not to venture into the downtown area...especially later in the evening.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can tell you my husband and I used to really enjoy First Friday's. We haven't been in several years and I would NEVER go now and take our small son. You won't ever convince me that Augusta is a safe place. IMO-You can't have as much poverty as we do and not have violent crime to go along with it. People are desperate and that should scare us all into choosing carefully where we go and what we do to keep our families safe.

KSL
KSL 07/07/12 - 02:44 am
This doesn't bode well for

This doesn't bode well for first Friday. 11:30? Just 30 minutes earlier on channel 12 the reporter was dicussing how much First Friday had changed.

KSL
KSL 07/07/12 - 02:46 am
Bored, you beat me to it.

Bored, you beat me to it.

boredinaug
boredinaug 07/07/12 - 02:51 am
I hate it KSL...wish I was

I hate it KSL...wish I was wrong on this one!

TrueConfessions
TrueConfessions 07/07/12 - 02:52 am
for real?

When I first moved here EVERYBODY lived first Friday...now you can't even go to that.. At first it was fighting now shooting?? Honestly?? It doesn't make you a thug because you can shoot.. It just makes you a dummy with a dang gun. Neither does it make you hard...people need to stop using guns thinking it's going to solve problems... It's not it's gonna bring more of them to you... People are dying because of this type of stuff...people really need to grow up..in my eyes the people doing all this shooting are punks...for real

KSL
KSL 07/07/12 - 02:53 am
The thug element in our

The thug element in our society has become more emboldened. It seems everyday an argument somewhere ends with gunfire.

KSL
KSL 07/07/12 - 03:06 am
I am not certain it is so

I am not certain it is so much a poverty problem, bored. Poverty may be associated with criminal behavior, but we are not dealing with people shooting each other over something to eat. I should say, YET.

ByGeorge
ByGeorge 07/07/12 - 04:29 am
It is definitely a thug

It is definitely a thug issue. The streets downtown are packed with thugs who have no respect for anyone or anything. First Fridays have worsened progressively over the last several years. Fights, robberies, and drug use are rampant. Groups of idiots walk right out into streets daring drivers to hit them. You can smell marijuana being smoked all over. I've seen the cops look for it, but it's so crowded they can't find the sources. I would not take my family there for all the money in the world. It's as if every housing project and every bad neighborhood in not only Augusta, but places as far away as Wrens, Thomson, Aiken, and Warrenville have loosed their worst on downtown Augusta.

First Friday should be abolished. Start having First Saturday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm and get things back to being family oriented. Plus, all those idiot, saggy pants wearing thugs will most likely sleep right through First Saturday.

KSL
KSL 07/07/12 - 05:01 am
I don't disagree with you

I don't disagree with you ByGeorge, but the crossing of the river goes both ways. A lot of crimes perpetrated on Aiken County residents, especially in Beech Island and N. Augusta are compliments of RC residents.

And just for countyman, not just RC. GA residents.

KSL
KSL 07/07/12 - 04:58 am
What you describe sounds like

What you describe sounds like complaints on here in the past about what shoppers were encountering in the mall.

ByGeorge
ByGeorge 07/07/12 - 05:05 am
I don't doubt that KSL. I'm

I don't doubt that KSL. I'm just pointing out that First Friday has become Thug Fest. It's horrible. I'm a first responder, so I occassionally have to be in the midst of it. I've often wondered how much Augusta was going to tolerate and if it was going to take a mass shooting to put a stop to the nonsense. Well now that mass shooting is a reality. Thank goodness nobody got killed. They could put a couple hundred cops down there and it still wouldn't be enough. The city just needs to put a halt to First Friday.

ByGeorge
ByGeorge 07/07/12 - 05:24 am
First Saturday

In place of FF, they should have First Saturday (or Second Saturday?) and hold it between ten in the morning and two in the afternoon. That way, the thugs will sleep right through it. Problem solved. Of course, that makes too much sense.

owensjef3
owensjef3 07/07/12 - 05:40 am
I had just drove by this

I had just drove by this block about 8:30 thinking what a nice night to be out. Why are people getting in these kinds of conflicts when they should be having a good time. Violence is getting out of hand. Wow I agree with KSL, I must go play the lottery. laugh

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/07/12 - 07:05 am
High

This time I 100% agree with you....yes there is a problem!

johncapes
johncapes 07/07/12 - 07:19 am
Garbage in garbage out!

The only way to keep the thugs out of events is to charge cover charge! And a high one too! The merchants could reemburse the patrons if they spend money at the event and then merchant could be reimbursed by party collected the cover charge, minus a small fee. No one is out of pocket and it would keep the free loaders away! Anything free attracts a certain element, free food, or any giveaway! Like the Masters, no badge not entry, and if caught on the course, escorted off! My son was there last night, but if I can prevent it, it's his last visit until there is a change. My family made regular visits downtown until a couple of years ago, stopped for this very reason!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 07:28 am
It's Okay They Only Kill Each Other

They only kill each other and the bullets are designed so they just hit bad guys. They magically stop and fall to the sidewalk if they miss the target. There's nothing for honest folks to worry about. It's perfectly safe in Augusta.

nevertoolate
nevertoolate 07/07/12 - 08:04 am
You never know, maybe

You never know, maybe somebody such as myself with a concealed permit was approached by a group of "thugs" and gave them the trouble they were asking for...but then again, I wouldn't be hanging around in downtown Augusta after dark for anything. I don't even feel safe going to the ballet for the Nutcracker.

crackertroy
crackertroy 07/07/12 - 08:07 am
DDA

Augusta's CBD is a joke compared to Cities of similar size: Greenville, S.C., Charleston, S.C., Asheville, N.C. We need new people at the DDA. The first mistake was planting government housing all throughout Augusta's most historic areas. That was not a way to preserve the historic integrity of the city of Augusta.

1beautifulmess
1beautifulmess 07/07/12 - 08:14 am
I don't know...

I've always had a love/hate relationship with this town. There's not enough to do here and there's no diversity. This city should be a major player in the way of entertainment and culture. I don't think high cover charges would change a thing. The crimes are happening in the streets. I would hate to have them do away with it. Maybe, 1st Sat or 2nd Sat would be best-something in the afternoon. Making it more family friendly would be better. You really can't hang out anywhere anymore safely. It's sad that having an argument and disagreement can lead to death or harm. We use to be able to live to argue or reconcile another day but not now. Your lights will be out permanently in this town.

boredinaug
boredinaug 07/07/12 - 08:41 am
KSL...you may be

KSL...you may be right...poverty may not be the only cause...but I challenge you to show me an affluent area that has the burglaries, homicides, domestic violence, assaults, etc. that we have here in Augusta. At last check- the poverty level in RC was above 40% in some areas. Please understand I am NOT blaming the crimes/violence on poverty alone...but I believe it becomes a lifestyle generation after generation. I also believe drugs and gangs play a huge roll in this deal because drugs are money makers and gangs help facilitate the business of drug dealing.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/07/12 - 09:07 am
I disagree with abolishment.

I disagree with abolishment. I see this as a golden opportunity to put a boot on the necks of the "thug" element by increasing the police presence with plainclothes officers, and arresting some of these punks. With a lot of foot cops filtering through the crowd, the roaches will find another place to play. Take our event back! Don't let the bad guys ruin everything.

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/07/12 - 09:14 am
Consider their intellegence

Consider their intellegence level. Not much.

LuvMyTown
2009
LuvMyTown 07/07/12 - 09:40 am
Shame on the Arts Council

Unfortunately this was a totally predictable event.
The Arts Council should have shut down First Friday years ago.
Bring on First Saturday (noon-time)!

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 07/07/12 - 09:42 am
Shutting down First Friday

Shutting down First Friday will only hurt the downtown shop owners. But, I have to admit. I have no desire to brave the crowds downtown anymore. You never know what to expect, and that's sad. I used to really enjoy it at one time.

KSL
KSL 07/07/12 - 09:51 am
I absolutely agree with

I absolutely agree with itsanother. You can't win by retreating. They win. And the roaches don't need to scatter elsewhere. They need to be done away with. They need to lose their power.

Proponents of growth in Augusts need to acknowledge they have problems that need fixing. Ihave no desire to go back to the Atlanta metro, though technically I didn't grow up in the metro. I haved lived in the Augusta metro for decades. But for more than a decade I have ceased going to the heart except for the rare occasion.

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 07/07/12 - 09:56 am
The downtown CADI program

The downtown CADI program collects $350,000 a year from property owners and is nothing but a glorified trash pick up service. Merchants were told that Public Safety would be the first priority with this extra tax money raised through the BID. In case some of you are not aware, this will be back up this year for a vote either to keep the program or dismantle it. Vote No to CADI unless it is law enforcement only!!! Hold the DDA accountable!!!!!

freeradical
freeradical 07/07/12 - 10:19 am
They don't mean to be

They don't mean to be evil.

But when you have a hollow cold cavernous void for a soul , and

are consumed with a desperate struggle to fill the

hollow soul with money , drugs , drink , pride of life , lust of the flesh

and fail miserably to fill the void , your own life becomes increasing

meaningless and worthless.

Thus killing another human being becomes an increasingly trivial

matter as well.

Human life becomes increasingly meaningless , and of less value with

age rather than increasingly precious.

Even your own life.

So as the emptiness of life looms larger and larger with each passing

day, killing yourself becomes more of an option as well.

This is why shootings and suicides among specific ages are charting

upward side by side with equal vigor.

The new generation of the bloody tooth & claw is coming on strong.

What a dark future awaits.