Home shot after candy runs out

Shots were fired Thursday night after a Hicks Street resident stopped handing out candy to neighborhood children and a fight broke out.

According to Richmond County sheriff’s Sgt. Dan Carrier, a resident on the 1600 block of Hicks Street was handing out candy shortly after 9 p.m. to about 15 children between the ages of 5 months and 14 years old. After the candy ran out, a fight began between the children and police were called. Around 10:30 p.m. deputies were called back to the area after gunshots were reported.

Carrier said four people were seen running through the street shortly after the fight yelling, “This is our hood.”

Witnesses told deputies shots were fired in the air and then struck the Hicks Street residence where the candy had been passed out.

Police said they are searching for Jessie Shelley, 21, who is a suspect in the shooting.

JRC2024
JRC2024 07/07/12 - 10:37 am
Patty P AR Johnson and

Patty P, AR Johnson and Davidson are open to anyone who meets the qualifications and not to those who do not, who are the students that cause all the problems. South Augusta is full of retired military familys as is Pepperidge and the Meadowbrook area. I deal with them all year long in my business and I thank them for staying in Augusta. They do so because of Fort Gordon, the Eisenhower Hospital and the VA Hospitals and the friends they have made. Grovetown has grown tremendousley because of Fort Gordon. They drive right out the gate and are real close to their homes. They do not have to put up with the Section 8 mentality that the government has forced onto the city of Augusta but rest assured the "downtrodden and less educated" (freeloaders) will be moving to Columbia County and anywhere the government will pay their rent. I applaude Countryman for his insight and dedication and I also like all of the CSRA. It has been very very very good to me and my business and all of my friends in business.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/07/12 - 01:15 pm
JRC2024

I didn't say there aren't ANY military families in RC, but the majority choose to live in CC. I know retired families that live in RC as well but again we are talking about the vast majority and most with kids go to CC. As far as Davidson and AR Johnson they are great schools, but Augusta needs quality schools for everyone, not just those who go through a selection process or a waiting list. I went to a fully public high school and the school I went to is NOTHING like the public schools in Augusta.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 01:18 pm
Realize Davidson and AR Johnson...

The Richmond County magnet schools have tiny school populations. They are not open to all qualified. There is an "audition" in addition to checks on grades. Many who apply don't get in. There's also a racial quota in acceptance. It used to be one black for every white student. I think it's still the same.

The simple hard fact is Richmond County state test scores are extremely low for all the students as a whole while those of Columbia County are very high.

countyman
19718
countyman 07/07/12 - 06:45 pm
PattyP... Who is actually

PattyP... Who is actually moving to the city limits of Grovetown?? Plenty of people refer to the city limits as 'little Mexico'... The ares near Walmart and Columbia rd are nice, but the city limits not so much...

This is the same thing in terms of South Augusta.. Barton Village, Meadowbrook, Pepperidge, etc are considered less desirable.. The Lakes at Spirit Creek, Manchester, Walton Farms, Walton Acres, etc are nice..

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/07/12 - 07:57 pm
Countyman

I didn't say 'city limits.' I said Grovetown. Obviously a military family is going to move to a desirable residential location and not the boonies. I'm not even going to google and research on this, but how much do you want to bet places like Meadowbrook, Pepperidge etc were much, much nicer say 10-15 years ago. The property values in these areas have plummeted at an alarming rate. Probably had more military, and decent families in those areas as well. What happened?

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 09:11 pm
"Little Mexico"

Countyman said, "Plenty of people refer to the city limits as 'little Mexico'... The ares near Walmart and Columbia rd are nice, but the city limits not so much..."

Interesting ethnic geographical description of Grovetown. I wonder if you used that same method what you would call Augusta?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 07/07/12 - 09:45 pm
Went shopping in Columbia

Went shopping in Columbia today and took the backroads home. Never mind talking about how alive and flourishing Columbia continues to be, let's talk about all those little towns I drove through on the return trip. Couldn't help wondering why every single cotton picking one of them was more alive, attractive, cleaner, better maintained and safer looking than our city of Augusta. They didn't have anything like MCG, Ft. Gordon, major industries, a world class golf tournament, Costco, Sprint Foods and certainly not The Flying Cowboy, nor any of the other attractions that countyman tells us about on a routine basis. What is the problem that DT can't be anything? Some say it's the politics.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/07/12 - 09:58 pm
I'm going to agree with

I'm going to agree with Willow. Again she makes good points and yes, I'd say it's the politics.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 10:41 pm
Willow, Good Observations

However, I'd say there's actually nothing wrong with Augusta, it just moved west of the National. New hotels and businesses galore in West Augusta and Columbia Cty. We just have to accept the reality sad as it is.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 10:58 pm
Grovetown Demographics

From the 2010 census, Grovetown's racial makeup was 70.95% White, 19.94% African American, 0.56% Native American, 1.56% Asian, 0.28% Pacific Islander, 3.05% from other races, and 3.66% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.25% of the population.

Augusta- 54.7% Black or African American, 39.1% White, 0.3% Native American, 1.7% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 1.3% some other race, and 2.6% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.1% of the population

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/07/12 - 11:01 pm
Riverman1

There IS something wrong with Augusta, the 2nd largest city in the state of Georgia, when they don't have anyone wanting to come and enjoy what few amenities the city has. Augusta should be doing much better than it is now. They don't have the culture in the city that will keep it thriving and make it desirable destination. I know a lot of people from all walks of life and not one mentions anything about wanting to visit Augusta.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/07/12 - 11:27 pm
Patty, yeah, I know. I've got

Patty, yeah, I know. I've got friends with businesses downtown and wish I could figure it out. I do recognize it as the hub of the CSRA. I've been saying forever ASU-GHSU should branch out over the downtown area and they have actually taken a first step to do that. Small business will follow something like that.

That second largest city designation is deceiving, though. We are a spread out metro area with large populations in Aiken, Evans and Thomson. The actual, true, old city population is 44,000. That's what everyone refers to as the urban city. 44,000 people don't support much.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 07/08/12 - 09:13 am
Riverman, it would be very

Riverman, it would be very interesting to look at city populations of other nearby successful cities, their resources and politics. My concern is many are accomplishing more with much less to draw from. Greenville would be an excellent case in point. Look at what they have done with their downtown with only a teaspoon full of river.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/08/12 - 02:36 pm
Willow

Once again I agree with everything you posted, especially about Greenville. I have several friends that live there and it is a very nice place to visit. The city has made full use of it's resources and what it has.

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.