Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman wanted in scams arrested

Thursday, July 5, 2012 4:54 PM
Last updated 11:42 PM

Police said a woman suspected in a series of scams is off the streets after being picked up by Richmond County deputies Thursday afternoon.

Eva Smith
Eva Smith

Police issued arrest warrants for Eva Smith in June after she was identified by victims as the woman responsible for several scams in the downtown area.

Smith's scams typically involve another character, who she refers to as Officer Webb.

Victims tell authorities Smith claims she needs money and promises reimbursement in the form of money or other favors from a relative - Officer Webb -  at the sheriff's office. When the victims call the sheriff's office to speak to Webb they learn they have been the victim of a scam.

Police said she has claimed she needed money for gas, car repairs, food and has claimed to be pregnant with twins in the past to gain sympathy.

Smith has been arrested at least six times between June 2010 and March 2011 on theft by deception charges but has never been jailed for longer than four months for the misdemeanor crime.

She also has a history of other crimes including shoplifting and drug charges.

Investigators said Smith has been a suspect in several other cases but charges were never filed by the victims.

iLove
iLove 07/05/12 - 05:37 pm
Hasn't she been here before?

Hasn't she been here before?

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/05/12 - 05:57 pm
This woman needs mental

This woman needs mental health counseling. There has to be something done to help her. Same thing last year.

scoopdedoop64
scoopdedoop64 07/05/12 - 07:32 pm
Maybe or Maybe Not

I am not a mental health specialist but not everyone who does something bad has a mental problem. People like this scam good hearted people and then they don't help people who really need it. She may need mental health or she just may be a mean person who would rather scam a dollar than work for it.

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/05/12 - 07:42 pm
I agree with both of you.

But either way, she shouldn't be left out on the streets to prey on the public!!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/05/12 - 08:16 pm
I'm sorry, but I have to

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with y'all who think this woman needs help. She is a scam artist, and in order to be a succesful scam artist, you have to be INTELLIGENT. Approaching people with a clever scenario that encourages the victim to offer their money to her is something that takes much thought and planning. If a potential victim balks at her story, or questions her details, she has shown that she can quickly adapt in order to gain her ill-gotten reward. I'm sure if you ask any of this woman's victim whether they feel sorry for her and that she needs some sort of mental health assistance, they'll let you know exactly how they REALLY feel!

OhWell
OhWell 07/05/12 - 08:23 pm
The help she needs is to stay

The help she needs is to stay in jail longer than 4 months after so many scams.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/05/12 - 08:33 pm
And many of you would have

And many of you would have pity for juveniles and young men who break into peoples homes and assault people. For those folks there is an easy way out IF they even get arrested. For those folks there is an opportunity to get an education, probation, counseling etc. Perhaps she needs the same thing.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/05/12 - 09:35 pm
Mental help my rear end. This

Mental help my rear end. This woman is an adult, low down, thieving criminal. As far as I am concerned she is a prime candidate for the three stikes and your out life sentence rule. I would hate to feed her for life but I am sure I am doing that anyway. She just uses these scams to supplement my welfare tax money to buy her drugs. Too bad we can't give the death penaty for multitple misdemeanors. But noooo, we just keep turning her loose to do it all again and again and again. WE are the ones who need a mental health check.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/05/12 - 09:56 pm
Somehow,

we just ain't getting through to this one.

It must be 'bout time to slap on an habitual offender charge. She sure seems to qualify for one.

papadawg3
papadawg3 07/05/12 - 10:08 pm
She tried to street work me at the Cardiac center at University

This old girl tried to hook me for gas money in parking lot of University Cardiac Care parking lot. 2010 I called the security on her then and they ran here off..

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/05/12 - 11:41 pm
dichotomy I feel the same way

dichotomy I feel the same way about 3 strikes for low down thieving criminals but - why oh why when I demand justice am I always told I'm being too harsh or vindicitive? I was told the thugs need an education and programs to help them with their criminal ways. All I'm saying is give her the same thing.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/06/12 - 12:35 am
I understand what you are

I understand what you are saying Patty, sauce for the goose-gander and all that. If this woman gets an opportunity at rehab, it needs to start behind bars however.

Rehab is a laudable goal; I would much rather turn out someone from prison that has a shot at being a productive taxpayer than someone who is a hardened criminal that will just recidivate.

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/06/12 - 05:36 am
Scam Artist Comment

She's good at what she does, evidently. She scammed the Prosecutor and all the Judges.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 07/06/12 - 07:29 am
Another side of this is, she

Another side of this is, she isn't stealing or robbing: she is asking and receiving... It is because she lies to get her needs met that she is in trouble. Her victims play a part in this as well.

I got your comment, Patty and why you said it. I also see why a judge has a little heart for the old gal. She is a survivor.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 07/06/12 - 08:27 am
dichotomy and patty-p add me

dichotomy and patty-p add me to your list, either put criminals in jail for verrrrrrry long sentences, banish them from the county, or execute them but something has to be done. i for one like the "escape from new york" idea, get an island wall it off, mine the waterways and drop them in to fend for themselves any caught trying to escape back to civilization "burn them off the wall"

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 07/06/12 - 08:41 am
She

needs to run for Congress.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/06/12 - 10:35 am
Survivor or not,

this woman is a lying parasite.

Patty-P
Patty-P 07/06/12 - 11:01 am
Thanks Willow and you are

Thanks Willow and you are 'right on' with what I'm thinking. It's different to forcefully take from a person but she is asking and receiving. She probably got more time than those who rob and kick down doors, and less sympathy too.