Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Driver charged after illegally parking in handicap zone

A Beech Island man was arrested Tuesday after a Richmond County sheriff’s deputy caught him using his mother’s handicap permit to park illegally.

Deputy Jack Rackliff saw a Buick Century parked in the handicapped spot outside the Family Y on Broad Street about 9:40 a.m., according to a sheriff’s report. The deputy said the vehicle’s permit card was in an envelope on the dash, displayed so that the expiration date wasn’t visible.

Rackliff recalled it was the same car he had seen a week before parked in another handicapped spot with the permit partially concealed. He was writing a parking ticket when Weldon Gilbert Brandon, 60, appeared.

The report said Brandon refused to let the deputy see the handicap permit card and went back inside the Family Y. Rackliff returned to his vehicle to get another ticket book, and when he returned to the Buick, Brandon was getting into it to leave.

Rackliff said Brandon ignored his request to stop and drove away. He caught up with the Buick on Jones Street and arrested Brandon, who was charged with obstructing a police officer and given a ticket for parking in a handicap spot. Brandon admitted that the handicap permit wasn’t his and that the car belonged to his mother, the report said. He was released from the Richmond County jail about 10 p.m. on bonds totaling $1,720.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/04/12 - 09:04 pm
Well, that sure wasn't worth

Well, that sure wasn't worth the closer parking spot, was it??

KSL
KSL 07/04/12 - 09:20 pm
I hope he has to pay the

I hope he has to pay the fine, every bit of it.

KSL
KSL 07/04/12 - 09:24 pm
But once again, the headline

But once again, the headline is misleading. Upon reading just the headline, my reaction was: This is news?

fatboyhog
1902
fatboyhog 07/04/12 - 09:55 pm
Upon reading the headline, my

Upon reading the headline, my first thought was, "that was a little harsh." But, since I know how the media likes to spin things to make a buck, and that sensationalism sells, I figured that there was more to it than the headline suggested.

itsanotherday1
41978
itsanotherday1 07/04/12 - 10:04 pm
I'm glad the sorry sack is

I'm glad the sorry sack is paying the piper. No excuse for lazy, good for nothings parking a few feet closer.

It is but one symptom of the sorry state we find ourselves in due to the sorriness of citizens who will take the path of least resistance, given the opportunity.

r
r 07/04/12 - 10:18 pm
It's about time!!!

People use the permits and can run faster than the normal person to get to the store and run over me to get the space while my daughter is in a wheelchair. It is not always about being closer !!!! You need the wider space to get the wheelchair person in and out of the car!! People who do these things really need to think if they want to be the person really needing the space!!!

class1
class1 07/04/12 - 10:26 pm
I wish the police would

I wish the police would ticket more people for misusing their pass. The pass is issued to the person not the car.

augustarookie
augustarookie 07/04/12 - 11:19 pm
One down

One accesible parking violator down, a zillion to go. Get 'em all.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/04/12 - 11:20 pm
An Experience

I used to have a business PO box at the Wrightsboro Rd Post Office. Parking was always at a premium there although there were two spots in front reserved for the handicapped that were usually snapped up by able bodied people. Cars sped around the building to the drive-up mailboxes on the far side.

I once saw a young lady in a wheel chair who had to park her van on the far side crossing the hot asphalt, dodging traffic and getting at the front door the same time as I did. I had to remark to her I was disappointed that others, not handicapped, used the reserved parking spots. She smiled and said it was okay. But it's not okay.

Bubba
Bubba 07/05/12 - 04:47 pm
At the Y?

Funny to me. When I was a member of Health Central, (Where this offense occured.) it always freaked me out that people were coming in to run on a treadmill for 45 minutes, of do the elliptical, or bike, or whatever, but dang, if they had to walk an extra 75 feet to get to the door... You'd think they had to walk barefoot on broken glass the way people going to work out would stalk a spot. Good work arresting this scofflaw.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/05/12 - 12:40 am
Disrespect for authority

As a retired public school teacher, I have many memories of kids' not following my instructions. But this Tuesday morning's was the first incident in which I encountered a sober, middle-aged adult refuse to comply with the commands of a law enforcement officer.

I had wondered why a police cruiser with its blue lights flashing was blocking the street between the Downtown Y and Merrill Lynch. After a second RCSO car appeared, I learned why. Then the deputy in the first cruiser removed a gym clothes-clad male from the back seat of the cruiser and took him into the Downtown Y via its side entrance. Shortly thereafter, the police replaced the male in the first cruiser. The deputy then drove this cruiser down Broad in the direction of 401. Good job, RCSO.

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/05/12 - 07:11 am
If a person can walk into the store & then walk around shopping

for 45 mins, then why does a person even have a handicap permit?

When you see a commercial delivery or construction vehicle using a space and permit you have to ask how and why?

When you see a 18-25 year person play Richard Petty to grab a handicap space, then speed walk into the store, you have to ask how and why?

When you see a 600 lbs motorcycle, or a non-permitted vehicle parked in a Handicap Ramp spot you have to ask why?

When you call the police you are likely to get the avoidance question "How do you know they are not handicapped?" Usually followed up with: "Yes he/she appeared ok, but if the permit is issued in his/ her name there is nothing we can do." Or "maybe his/her handicap condition is not apparent." Sure they could have a heart condition and or other hidden problem. But, if they can walk from the car to the store and then around the store to shop for 45 mins., then they failed to meet the "Cannot walk 200 ft." definition for Handicap permit qualification.

To make matters worse, the paper GA. Handicap plaque permits are way too easy, obtain, duplicate, create or modify.

1.) A person can download a state permit image off the internet, then use an $69.00 color printer scanner, load it with 120lb card stock. Because of the extreme ease of counterfeiting paper permits, a few states have gone to date imprinted plastic permits and charge $10 for them.
2.) The Ga. Permit are designed to allow even a 6th grader to change and extend the expiration date. Some issuing locations use ball point pens, other use Felt tip, others use common printed address labels. The label can be purchased in just about any department store.

3.) Too many doctors don't follow the issuing guidelines and sign off on a permit for simple short term temporary injuries. The person will then have a 3 year paper permit, or about 2 years 10 months & 3 weeks longer than the twisted ankle.

4.) and last but not least ( the one remark that will tick off some people) Some people weight 400 lbs because they don't walk enough.

Next time you are at Wally World, Kroger, Target or any large store just watch the number of good walking shoppers using the handicap spaces.

I tend to greet them in passing with a friendly;

"Glad to see your injury has healed up so well."

fatboyhog
1902
fatboyhog 07/05/12 - 08:38 am
Nocnoc, if the permit is in

Nocnoc, if the permit is in their name, not much can be done. If law enforcement sees a seemingly able-bodied person exit a car parked in a handicapped space and has the audacity to question them, they get slapped with a "you are discriminating against me" complaint. It's damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Then, there are the ignorant people who have the permit, park in the space, and let an able bodied person walk into the store while they wait. What do you do about that? They are legally in the space. Too many handicapped people are just lazy people who don't want to walk and get a quack doctor to give them a permit. But, we have to be sensitive to ADA. I'm not sure what the solution is. One is to put the picture of the person on the permit. The other is to have the information printed on both sides of the permit, as i have seen people flip the permit around so that the name isn't visible.

Anyway, I'm glad the deputy arrested this jerk. He appears to think that he is above all the laws and can do whatever he darn well pleases. And, that's probably been his MO for years (yell, scream, and throw a temper tantrum, rather than accept responsibility and move on).

allhans
allhans 07/05/12 - 09:02 am
It seems that most of the

It seems that most of the lawbreakers that I see using HC spaces are young men. What's with that?

sarahs mom
sarahs mom 07/05/12 - 09:11 am
Nocnoc

I have a heart condition and another chronic condition that allows me to have a handicapped placard. I am only 45 so I get many ugly looks for utilizing the handicapped spaces. I can assure you, if you tell me you are glad my injury healed well, you will not like the answer you receive. I wasn't aware that you had X ray vision and could see my damaged heart and lungs, ( FYI its a congenital defect) but I will be glad to point out the more than 10 surgical scars hidden from view, just for you. You have no idea what some people's story might be,not everyone has an INJURY. what if that person has MS? can you see that? I choose to walk slowly with a cart in the store and use my wheelchair when I am shopping at other places without carts. However, if it will appease your conscience, I will no longer try to participate in cardiac rehab and forget the swimming pool at the gym, I guess that is off limits as well. I will just utilize a wheel chair at all times so I am worthy of using a handicapped parking space.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/05/12 - 09:17 am
FatBoyHog, I don't care if

FatBoyHog, I don't care if the thing is in their name, just slap um or something.

KrashTestDumby
KrashTestDumby 07/05/12 - 09:43 am
nocnoc's Conundrum

nocnoc: First you complain when people using a disability placard walk around the stores for 45 minutes, and then you offer that the reason some disabled people weigh 400 pounds is because they don't walk enough? Damned if you walk, damned if you don't! Absolutely Brilliant!

Your criteria of "Cannot walk 200 ft" is only one >>>out-of-context<<< criteria specified by the State of Georgia (O.C.G.A. 40-6-221). Using your methodology would mean, for example, anyone who does not use portable oxygen AND who does not have a cardiac condition AND who isn't blind AND who are not hearing-impaired are not eligible for a placard!

UPDATE: I knew it was out there, but I had to search to find the source. I found it, so I now add the following...

I own a 1,000-pound motorcycle. I live in Ohio. Ohio (and many other states) issue disability plates for motorcycles. As a disabled American veteran with several service-connected "hidden" disabilities, I drive my 1,000 pound motorcycle with disability plates all over the country. Is it OK with you if I park my motorcycle in an accessible parking spot? (Note: on my "good days" I don't exercise my right to use an accessible spot).

Oh, wait... YOUR opinion doesn't matter! Federal law specifies disability placards and plates from ANY state or foreign county MUST be recognized in ALL 50 states and US Territories (reference § 1235.8 Reciprocity):

Your criteria and comment fail.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/05/12 - 12:24 pm
Issue the permit to the individual, like Europe

ISSUE THE PERMIT TO THE INDIVIDUAL. If the person whose picture is on the handicap permit is not riding in the vehicle, then issue a ticket. IMO the problem is current permit (plates) are issued for the vehicle and anyone driving the vehicle can get away with using them.

KrashTestDumby
KrashTestDumby 07/05/12 - 11:47 am
No_Longer_Amazed:

No_Longer_Amazed: CONGRATULATIONS! You are now the proud parent of one-or-more children of less-than legal driving age, who have disabilities... exactly whose picture goes on the disabled parking permit? OR, you are now an organization which transports persons with disabilities (e.g. a nursing home)... whose picture do we put on the placard?

POOF! You are now a cute female with a disability. It's late at night. Your picture has been hanging in the window of your car all day as you [worked|shopped|other]. How safe do you feel returning to your car? (Repeat scenario with "little old [lady|man]"). If your car gets parked in an accessible parking spot at your place of residence (e.g. apartment, condo, hotel) how long will it take the criminal element to decide where to commit their next crime and expect minimal resistance?

Having a picture on the placard does absolutely nothing in determining the legality of an empty car parked in a spot.

As it stands now, most placards/plates are already issued on a personal basis - you must meet requirements and have a professional affirm your need before the placard/plate is issued. If an officer sees someone using a placard and has suspicions, it only takes a minute to validate who belongs with the placard.

Yeah, let's put pictures on placards and help the criminal element.

PrayN4U
PrayN4U 07/05/12 - 12:10 pm
WELL DONE

I for one am glad to see the law still cares. I will park in a non handicap space because there are people whose handicaps are more severe than mine. I have a sticker because I fall a lot.

Sweet son
Sweet son 07/05/12 - 12:51 pm
@sarahs mom. You Go Girl!!

I am old enough and bad enough and even though I am male I would jerk my shirt up and try to embarrass the hell out of anyone who questioned me!! Do it!

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/05/12 - 01:19 pm
KTB

CONGRATULATIONS: The individual with the disability goes on the permit.

POOF: The permit does not have to be a placard.

I realise this is just a simplified scenario, but just like a driver's license is required to be produced when asked for by law enforcement, so is the disabled permit. If the person driving or riding in the vehicle when it is in a handicapped space can not produce the permit showing he/she is handicapped when requested by the authorities, then it is "ticket time." If the handicapped person has already been dropped off at the door or had not even been in the vehicle this trip, why would the use of a handicapped parking space be justified?

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 07/05/12 - 01:25 pm
Question for a "legal mind"

This article references Broad Street, but are law enforcement officers authorized to give tickets on private property like a store parking lot?

KSL
KSL 07/05/12 - 02:08 pm
My husband can jerk his shirt

My husband can jerk his shirt up too. He has a slight scar from open heart surgery, literally slight. It looks like a plastic surgeon did it. They opened up his heart to repair a valve and a hole between the upper chambers. He was healthy before he was fixed. The doctor said his heart had compensated all of his life for the defect. And of course, after the fix he is just fine, though it did take about a year to get his upper body strenth back. Go figure. They saw your ribs open and pull them apart.

Talk about needing a handicap parking place. I am all for those who truly need it. But keep in mind. If you go in for surgery, one of the first things they make you do is get up and walk.

Discharge from the hospital instructions for my husband on Fri. AM after Tues. AM surgery: get up, get dressed. Take a nap if needed.

PghSteelersFan
PghSteelersFan 07/05/12 - 02:54 pm
Georgia is still using

Georgia is still using 'paper' handicap placards? My Father had a permanent (blue) placard while he was living in Augusta (passed away now) and I remember it being plastic with the expire date being written in with a black marker on a white space on the placard.
I live in New Mexico and the State has gone further than just plastic cards/w dates. Now to get one you have to have your 'picture' on the card along with the expire date. You are allowed a 'sleeve' to cover the picture but you must remove the sleeve if asked to by a police officer.
I have a placard w/ photo but I also have a handicap licence plate on the car which makes it easier on both me and the police or security personnel who patrol shopping centers. Passersby also can see the plate and know that the car is legally parked. As for the placard, I carry it with me when I ride in someone else's car.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 07/05/12 - 04:59 pm
Ticket not for parking

... but for an offense not on the books, but very real nonetheless: 'Contempt of Cop.' This clown decided to be cute and flout the officer's authority --an incomprehensible attitude for a seniorr citizen who HAD to know better-- and then when he realized it was for real, decided that running away was the solution. (Really?)

Frankly, the deputy cut him a break with those charges. 'CofC' on the street can very often lead to an off-dashcam "tuneup." Fleeing arrest has slammed a number of otherwise questionably arrested suspects with a solid charge.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 07/05/12 - 10:20 pm
Laziness

is not considered a handicap but, rather, a character flaw.

GaStang22
GaStang22 07/05/12 - 11:01 pm
This is only an assumption but....

Just from his actions in this article..I'm sure mommy will be paying the fine, bail etc.....probably has all his life!!

nocnoc
nocnoc 07/06/12 - 09:34 am
Like I said

#4 was sure to tick off some people.

As I pressed send...
I knew I should have covered myself with the added general catch all disclaimer; "There are exceptions to the general rule."

But please give me some credit.

I do reserve the "Glad to see your doing better comment" for the obvious violators like those who are the only occupant and jog from the car to the store.

To date my worst 2 noted violators:

A Lawn Care Crew in a company truck with a trailer full of lawn equipment.

The National package delivery service driver that blocked 3 spaces to drop off packages.

cheapster505
cheapster505 07/06/12 - 12:22 pm
handy capped

always thought it strange that they don't pay parking meters yet manage to pay for everything else went out to a PAR 3 walking golfcourse and 4 handy cap parking spaces taken ? how Handy capped if they can walk 9 holes and plaaaaay golf why I call them HANDY CAPPED
how handy is that Parking meters don't pay because can't reach? yet every counter is not lowered

Paine plans furloughs, salary cuts, layoffs

Paine College President George C. Bradley on Friday announced the college will implement furlough days, salary reductions and layoffs to save $2.4 million over the next fiscal year.