Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

University Hospital visitor's car burglarized

Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:34 PM
Last updated 11:50 PM

A woman had her car broken into while at University Hos­pi­tal on Saturday afternoon, a Rich­mond County sheriff’s report said.

The 30-year-old called police around 2:45 p.m. after getting back to her car to find her rear passenger quarter window broken and her purse missing. She had been at the hospital for an hour.

The burglar got away with her black-and-white zebra-print purse, a brown suede checkbook wallet, a purple leather wallet and two credit cards, the report said.

KSL
KSL 06/30/12 - 08:47 pm
Why do women leave their

Why do women leave their purses in plain sight?

TCB22
TCB22 06/30/12 - 09:42 pm
I would say to you KSL that

I would say to you KSL that most women do not. In fact...most women keep them close. You also immediately turned this into her fault. Just be cautious about painting with such a broad brush. Law enforcement folk shouldn't need to be told that.

KSL
KSL 07/01/12 - 12:33 am
TCB22

In the crime reports in the Aiken Standard, I read about this crime daily. Perhaps you should be asking why the same crime happening in Augusta is not reported.

KSL
KSL 07/01/12 - 12:44 am
And I am not a law

And I am not a law enforcement person.

debbiep38
debbiep38 07/01/12 - 01:26 am
Is that how they get new EBT

Is that how they get new EBT cards? By charging them down to nearly zero then leaving them in plain sight for someone to steal and then going down to the food stamp office and claiming it was lost or stolen?

debbiep38
debbiep38 07/01/12 - 01:31 am
Can't one of you guvmint

Can't one of you guvmint scammers please garner enough entrepreneuralism to write a book on how to "game" the system for us slow learners?

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/01/12 - 04:37 am
I agree with KSL on this.

I agree with KSL on this. People have been breaking into cars for decades. Why would you leave something of value in plain view? If you don't carry it with you lock it in the trunk. Shopping centers and hospitals have always been target areas for criminals. As far as being news worthy, this is not.

madgerman
madgerman 07/01/12 - 05:37 am
KSL sometimes they do it for

KSL sometimes they do it for insurance purposes.

June Todd
June Todd 07/01/12 - 05:50 am
Thefts from cars

Just a warning note: Items in the trunk of your car are not necessarily safe. All a thief needs to do is to break a window, open the door and release the lock of the trunk. I know that this has happened in the parking lot at Trinity Hospital.

KSL
KSL 07/01/12 - 07:33 am
June, which is why I would

June, which is why I would never get out of my car, go to the back, then put my purse in the trunk, anywhere someone could be watching.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/01/12 - 06:41 am
Crooks

They do sit around & watch for women doing just that...I know my sister has had trouble with purse snatching from trunks of cars at her business.....they can get in the trunk.......
At a grocery store too.....nothing is safe any more.

KSL
KSL 07/01/12 - 07:05 am
At least breaking a window,

At least breaking a window, opening the trunk on the chance that something of value will be found there is a far less likely event than than when a valuable is in plain view.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/01/12 - 08:56 am
All the more reason for

All the more reason for security cameras everywhere. I know a lot of folks don't like that idea because it is perceived as an invasion of privacy issue. I am more than willing for a stranger sitting at a monitor to catch me scratching my hiney or picking my nose if it will help them catch scumbags like the one who stole the purse.

augustarookie
augustarookie 07/01/12 - 10:38 am
Hospital Security

Our hospitals are like small cities and crime is inevitable. Hospital security departments have limited staff. You could have a police officer every 6 feet and still have crime. Cameras help but are not the total answer. There are no safe places in the world.

beboisme
beboisme 07/01/12 - 01:58 pm
That's funny itsanotherday1.

That's funny itsanotherday1. Those cameras are only as good as an observant camera room operator. Through my experience half or not most are catching way too much shut eye in the darkened camera room. There never will be an adequate amount of employees because most directors receive their big bonus bucks by way of reducing staff. It's always been my belief if your going to reduce staff then management better learn the ropes that are in the field and not in the breakroom.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 07/01/12 - 01:23 pm
TCB22, I understand where

TCB22, I understand where you're coming from, but c'mon...you HAVE to put some of the blame on the lady who left her purse in plain sight. No, the crook shouldn't have done it, but they are the B-A-D guys and they're going to do B-A-D things! As far as the security personnel, they are like everyplace else these days..their numbers have shrunk due to money/profits. Their qualifications have shrunk due to money/profits. The administrators would rather save money by making someone else do more work with less education so that the administrators can keep their high salaries.

tanbaby
tanbaby 07/01/12 - 01:49 pm
TAKE YOU PURSE WITH YOU !!!!!

TAKE YOU PURSE WITH YOU !!!!! either that or leave it at home and put your license etc in your pocket....

fatboyhog
2082
fatboyhog 07/01/12 - 07:08 pm
Burglary vs theft

There is no such a thing as burglarizing a car in GA. It is a theft. Why can't reporters in this town learn proper terminology when it comes to reporting crimes? Are they not professional, educated journalists?

fatboyhog
2082
fatboyhog 07/01/12 - 07:08 pm
Burglary vs theft

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 07/01/12 - 08:33 pm
There is definitely a new

There is definitely a new thug element in the University Hospital parking deck. Thugs just hanging out on foot and in cars. There needs to be some visible security. The parking deck at MCG is much more secure and better run.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 07/01/12 - 11:10 pm
Bebo

I don't expect cameras to be 100% monitored, that is impractical. It is like any other random operation; the criminals never know when a particular camera is being monitored, and they also know their mug is being captured whether someone is actively looking or not. Very good deterrent in my book.

BTW- I just watched a TV (true life) show where a murderer was caught by LEO's looking at a security camera tape that revealed the brand of shoes he was wearing when he robbed and murdered a store clerk. They looked at earlier tape and saw the same brand shoes in addition to physical features when he cased the place.

The more security cameras the better.