Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man swindles cashier out of $741

A man swindled a cashier at the Walmart on Knox Avenue in North Augusta into giving him at least $741 Thursday afternoon, according to a North Augusta Department of Public Safety report.

The report said the man bought $1.95 of merchandise and confused the cashier by asking her for change and appearing to exchange his own bills with the woman. The scam, called change raising, fools cashiers by constantly making change and swapping smaller bills from the con man for larger ones from the register.

The report said a review of surveillance videos revealed that the man stayed at the register changing money for more than eight minutes.

The suspect is described as an older black man with curly gray hair.

Comments (11)

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 06/30/12 - 01:09 am

Rotten human being

to take advantage of a hard working individual - hope he gets his just reward by the police finding him and locking him and making him repay every penny cheated!

jd10865
jd10865 06/30/12 - 02:03 am

Change

Soooooo....he is an older black man asking for change.....I know where he is....at the White House

nocnoc
nocnoc 06/30/12 - 07:12 am

Simple suggestion .....

Why don't these places immediately release the video and photos of these suspects to the media? A picture is worth a 1000's words.

The released video or photos can't hurt the investigation, because I am sure the crook knows what he did and a what he looks like.

BTW: Offer a Store Gift Card as a reward incentive .

tanbaby
tanbaby 06/30/12 - 08:14 am

i don't care if it was

i don't care if it was walmart...why did she have that much money in the cash register??????????????

happychimer
happychimer 06/30/12 - 10:29 am

Tan the cashier does not

Tan the cashier does not determine how much money to have in the drawer. A computer tells how much the cashier has, and management picks up the money.

happychimer
happychimer 06/30/12 - 10:52 am

I was swindled out of about

I was swindled out of about $75 back about 2004. He was an older light skinned black older man.He bought a small item and kept wanting change. He put his hand on the register, and I hollered at him to get his freaking hands away from that money. I then told him he would have to get change at the office. Later I learned he had ripped me off.After that, if anyone wanted change, I sent them to the office.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/30/12 - 11:44 am

Training!

All store cashiers should be trained on this scam and when someone asks for change more than one time then all transactions should be stopped and management and the police should be called!

The only thing worse is when the bottom feeders prey on our old people!

allhans
21928
allhans 06/30/12 - 12:52 pm

Easy target, it seems. Over

Easy target, it seems. Over eight minutes and you haven't called for help. My goodness.

happychimer
happychimer 06/30/12 - 12:52 pm

When a customer gave me a 5

When a customer gave me a 5 dollar bill, I typed that in, and the amount of change they get back, came up on the screen. I had some who would say they gave me a twenty or a fifty. I would then call the office for someone to count it down. That way nobody could scam me that way.

happychimer
happychimer 06/30/12 - 01:00 pm

Being a good cashier involves

Being a good cashier involves a lot more than just ringing up items.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 06/30/12 - 02:06 pm

LOL...scams at the NA

LOL...scams at the NA walmart?!! Just walk around that store and be observant.. the stuff going on there is amazing...and it's not the customers.

KSL
KSL 06/30/12 - 09:55 pm

jd, if you are going to be

jd, if you are going to be that witty, I hope you will hang around and post often. I love to laught out loud. Only he is not in the White House that much.

HighSociety
HighSociety 07/01/12 - 11:33 pm

I missed that earlier, but

I missed that earlier, but just went back to read it again. That my friend is FUNNY!

Judge denies request to delay sales tax vote

A superior court judge denied a request Wednesday from a Richmond County citizen seeking a court order to postpone the May 20 special purpose local option sales tax referendum.