Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man shot, killed in Augusta home invasion

Battle Row resident says he saw man carrying shotgun, putting on mask

Friday, June 29, 2012 7:23 AM
Last updated 9:49 PM

The man shot Friday morning by a resident of an apartment on Battle Row has been identified.

Michael Conyers, 40, of Augusta, was shot to death about 2 a.m. by Bobby Lockhart, 26, of the 1900 block of Battle Row, Richmond County sheriff’s Lt. Blaise Dresser said.

Lockhart told police that he looked through his window and saw a man putting on a mask and approaching his apartment with a shotgun. When Conyers forced his way into the apartment, Lockhart started shooting.

Conyers was taken to the Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Lockhart was questioned and released, Dresser said, but the case is still being investigated.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/29/12 - 10:11 pm
It makes me upset when people

It makes me upset when people think that burglaries are petty or small crimes. People can get killed in situations like this - either the homeowner or the burglar. And the fact that the justice system does NOTHING to punish the people committing these crimes is pathetic.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/29/12 - 10:13 pm

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/29/12 - 10:13 pm

aubaug
aubaug 06/30/12 - 12:00 am
Little bit safer now....

Well, I guess the neighborhood will be a little bit safer now! Robbers and thugs will think twice before approaching Battle Row. Congratulations, Mr. Lockhart. I am so very proud of you!

athome
athome 06/30/12 - 12:18 am
This has nothing to do with

This has nothing to do with any school system. Respect for other people and for human life, values, and morals (or lack thereof) are attributes which are instilled from birth from home.

patriotgirl
patriotgirl 06/30/12 - 12:38 am
Thank you Mr. Lockhart for

Thank you Mr. Lockhart for saving the taxpayers a trial and prison expense on the 40 year old jerk. He would have gotten the same at my house. Criminals, you better wise-up, because law-abiding citizens sure are!

cheapster505
cheapster505 06/30/12 - 01:28 pm
shot dead

time to put on the hoodies? or masks?

cheapster505
cheapster505 06/30/12 - 01:28 pm
shot dead

time to put on the hoodies? or masks?

jackrussell
jackrussell 07/01/12 - 04:34 am
Dichotomy is right. You can

Dichotomy is right. You can spend all the money in the world to provide an education. BUT it won't do any good if the kids won't show up to get that education.

KSL
KSL 07/01/12 - 07:52 am
When do we get the rest of

When do we get the rest of the story? The why a shotgun wielding man was breaking into an occupied apartment.

tconyers
tconyers 07/02/12 - 11:18 am
Dad's death

@stillamazed...my dad's not no criminal!!! That was not in my dad's character. He would STARVE before going into someone's home!! The way he was shot was overkill!! I don't care where you live, if someone is so called "breaking in", you don't shoot them over and over. Next time, get the whole story before you label someone a "criminal" Maybe then you'd think twice. Now @ dichotomy, my dad could care less who YOU were! Don't make smart remarks when you don't know the story. My dad didn't own no shotgun! The job he had REQUIRED he register all guns which he did. It's mighty funny how Mr. Lockhart claims he had a shotgun and a mask but no such items were @ the scene!! I don't care what yall think...I know my dad and that was not him!!!!!! Now thanks and have a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tconyers
tconyers 07/02/12 - 11:34 am
People who thinks they know it all

NONE of you know the true story. Read my last post "Dad's death". IS it because he was black?? Some of yall are referring to my dad as a "thug"...my dad WORKED for his money unlike some. After one job he would go straight to the next with no sleep. Yall might think i'm defending him just because that's my dad but i'm not. I've known my dad all my life. Yall just THINK yall know him through a newspaper article. Just like i told stillamazed and dichotomy in my last comment, get the full story!! That goes for KSL, patriotgirl, aubaug, athome, itsanotherday1, Discussionstarter, conservativeman, dusty-rog,slvrnkl, LittleLamb, Sargebaby, and sweetson.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 07/02/12 - 03:12 pm
good shot mr.

good shot mr. lockhart...center mass or a head shot i bet

G-babii
G-babii 07/09/12 - 02:48 pm
@dichotomy that was my father!! and the facts are WRONG!!

the fact are wrong my father is many things... he is a father, a grandfather, and uncle, a brother, and a son, and a joy and mentor to many but nomatter what he has dne in life i know for a fact that he is not a thug or ganster or what ever you think you can call him... and to this bobby lockhart between you and my dads girlfriend the truth will come out.. and you will be behind bars.. have a nice day!!

cinny193
cinny193 07/09/12 - 02:55 pm
my dad

To everyone Who wanna judge my dad u dnt know
him to judge him yall need to look in the mirror
he was never a thug or ganster he was a hard
working man with a family
and like my two of my sisters
said knw the full story first
have good day !!

cinny193
cinny193 07/09/12 - 03:29 pm
my husband

My family is suffering enough for the lost of our loved one
everyone is convicting him before all the facts come
out those without sin cast the first stone
All those of you who is making ignorent nd
nasty comments before the facts nd truth comes
out SHAME ON YOU!! Nd i will pray for you.
Never think your so mighty nd great. We all have sinned
nd none of you have the right to judge him,
The only person who can judge him is GOD!!
At the end of the day a sin is a sin nd We aré all worthy
of death be careful wat u say nd Never celebrate the death
of someones loved one. At the end of the day We all
have to reap Wat u sowe so for all Who is making
ignorent comments watch wat u say cuz karma is a mother.
So i dnt give a Damn Wat any of yall say i was with this man 20+ Yes
he was not a thug nor has ever been a theif or a gangster .so keep
ur damn assumptions to urself cuz its affecting my children so let us greif. In peace if any of u had common sense one plus one plus is a
still two nd this whole thing is Nt equaling up....
Ima do unlike yall nd pray GOD has mercy on ur souls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!