News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man goes to cops over stolen electricity to charge phone

Friday, June 29, 2012 10:21 PM
Last updated 10:52 PM

A man complained to police that his neighbor was stealing electricity to charge his cell phone, a Richmond County sheriff’s report said.

Around 11 a.m. Friday, Charles Jackson, 61, of the 1200 block of Reynolds Street, told police that Chuma Lamar Williams, 33, was stealing electricity from his business, Christian Sign.

Williams told deputies that Jackson had given him permission to charge his cell phone. Jackson told deputies he had given Williams permission in January but had asked him to stop a few weeks later, according to the report.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/30/12 - 01:07 am
Good LORD!! Pay the man $1

Good LORD!! Pay the man $1 and move on. I won't waste my time doing the math, but it is likely < 1 penny/ charge.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 06/30/12 - 10:25 am
That hurts my brain trying to

That hurts my brain trying to think about how much electricity the man has used. It has to be miniscule.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 06/30/12 - 10:26 am
You have got to be kidding me

The man called the police over a $1.00 I will stop by and give the man a dollar. It cost more than a $1.00 for the police to drive over and take the report and file the report. The cost of ink to print the story cost more than a $1.00. What a waste of tax payers money.

purmkinhed
purmkinhed 06/30/12 - 10:51 am
Obviously...

the man is down on his luck or he wouldn't have asked to charge his phone. In today's economy you would think Mr. Jackson would be Christian enough to happily help Mr. Williams out. After all he does own "Christian Signs" does he not? Calling the law doesn't seem to me to be a very "Christian" thing to do. Sad...

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/30/12 - 11:39 am
More to It!

There is probably more to this than the police report tells. They were probably in a disagreement over something bigger than this and this was a warning tactic. The suspect must sleep somewhere so where ever his bed is there should be an outlet near by. Simply a waste of taxpayer dollars!!

Casting_Fool
Casting_Fool 06/30/12 - 11:48 am
But if the guy had to

But if the guy had to trespass in order to charge the phone, you have a completely different issue here. I wonder if the article overlooked the actual charge in order to play up the absurdity of the cell phone angle. The article doesn't say that the owner of the business charged the guy with stealing electricity, just that he didn't want the guy on his property doing that. Makes sense to me.

allhans
allhans 06/30/12 - 12:44 pm
I think Mr. Jackson just

I think Mr. Jackson just wanted him off his property.

Georgialina
Georgialina 06/30/12 - 01:35 pm
Business down??

How bad must this guy's business be if he has to report this guy for "stealing" his electricity?? As a business owner I can tell you my power bill is way too high but seriously how much does a cell phone actually cost to charge? I thank the good Lord that my business is not as bad as Mr. Jackson's must be.

carcraft
carcraft 06/30/12 - 07:21 pm
The owner could see multiple

The owner could see multiple possibilities for legal entanglement to arise from this situation. I think he simply wanted the fellow to stop using the out let on his sign.

madgerman
madgerman 06/30/12 - 07:55 pm
What a "christian" thing to

What a "christian" thing to do. Dosen't he understand that homeless people need a place to recharge their cell phones so they will be ready for texting the next day?

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/30/12 - 10:22 pm
@purmkinhead: So you think

@purmkinhead: So you think the guy was obviously down on his luck since he just wanted to charge his CELL PHONE? You do realize how absurd that sounds now, right?

crackerjack
crackerjack 07/01/12 - 07:00 am
What a Guy!

I'm going down to the Police station Monday, and have Mr. Jackson arrested for impersonating a fellow human being.

Frazier retires after demotion

Long-time Richmond County principal Wayne Frazier, known for his unorthodox approach to school reform, submitted his resignation Wednesday after being demoted to a teacher this summer.