Woman loses $2,500 in coins during move

Vintage coins valued at $2,500 went missing after a North Augusta woman hired a moving company to pack her belongings, according to a North Augusta Public Safety incident report.

Covan World-Wide Moving, Inc., was hired to move the woman out of her home of on River Bluff Road.

The 46-year-old woman told an officer that an employee assured her the coins were packed. But on Saturday, she opened the boxes and could not find the coins, according to the report.

The moving company sent a representative to search the remaining boxes, but the coins were never found. According to the report, the employee who packed the boxes didn’t show up for work Monday and was unable to be reached by phone.

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/28/12 - 05:38 am
I had a similar thing happen.

I had a similar thing happen. A moving company moved me from out of town to the Augusta area. I actually packed my collection of state quarters, dvds, jewelry and a handful of other items separately and brought those items to the new house myself. Had those boxes sitting in the master bedroom closet when the movers caught up with me here. While moving the rest of my belongings in, one of the workers (a nephew of the truck driver's moving team) stole the coins, jewelry and a few other things that could be pawned easily. I reported it to the moving company and they "investigated".. didn't hear from them until after the police brought the nephew in and he confessed. After that, the moving company was more than helpful to reimburse me. Before the police got involved they acted like I was trying to pull a fast one on them. NOT

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/28/12 - 07:00 am
Vintage

Assuming the coins were not pennies or nickels, $2,500 worth of old coins (silver) would fit in a medium-sized purse. Too bad she did not carry the coins herself.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/28/12 - 09:14 am
For real LL!!

First of all, why in the H-E- double hockey sticks would anyone tip the mover off that there was loot to be had? Did she let them pack up her jewelry too?

HighSociety
HighSociety 06/28/12 - 12:20 pm
I'm sure the employee didn't

I'm sure the employee didn't show up Monday. Probably spent the whole weekend partying it up. Sounds like they know who the crook is, so he should be behind bars soon.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/28/12 - 02:01 pm
Thursday

It's already Thursday. Surely someone has found the employee by now.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/28/12 - 08:10 pm
I agree with IAD

Who does that? I always do my own packing and taping, and then have the movers load the boxes. It's the only way to avoid theft, that, and moving small valuables separately. Hard lesson for this lady. I hope she could afford the loss.

cozzster
cozzster 06/29/12 - 03:27 am
Sucks...

Well, if she was smart, she would have had the movers sign for the coins and they will have to reimburse her. I hate having movers move me, but I have so much stuff and it is too hard to do. I just make sure everything they move is annotated on their forms and I have pictures to back it up.

Kettle donations rise in 2014