Thief takes car while driver pays for gas

A North Augusta woman lost her borrowed car Tuesday when she left it to go inside a gas station and pay for the fuel she had just pumped, according to a North Augusta Public Safety incident report.

The 52-year-old woman was driving her daughter’s 1989 Honda Accord. She pulled up to the No. 7 pump at the Circle K at 226 Georgia Ave. about 8 a.m. Tuesday and pumped $7 in gas.

“She went in to pay and when she came out, the vehicle was gone,” according to the report, which did not say whether she left the keys in the car.

The woman did not see anyone take off in the grey and tan vehicle. An officer reviewed surveillance tapes with store management and saw someone get into the car, pull out of the parking lot and head toward the Georgia state line almost as soon as the woman turned her back to walk into the store, according to the report.

Because the video was obscured, the officer was unable to determine the gender or race of the suspect.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/28/12 - 04:40 am
How can the police report not

How can the police report not mention something as significant as whether the lady left the keys in the car or not? How much you wanna bet she DID leave the keys in there? If it's an '89, it won't be too long before they find it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/28/12 - 07:21 am
Mr. Bonk

I gather you have had a ticket in car with illegal window tinting and doing 47 in a 45 zone on Martintown Rd.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 06/28/12 - 07:33 am
I hate it when people blame

I hate it when people blame the victim. It shouldn't matter is the keys were in the car or not, it's still stealing.
If N. Augusta didn't enforce speed limits people would do 60 in a 45 like they do here.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/28/12 - 07:46 am
Don't speed

Don't speed and don't have illegal window tint. How many unsolved murders does Augusta have? I have lived in NA over 10 years and have never been pulled over. Sour grapes? People that complain about police presence and not doing their jobs are the first ones that moan and whine about being pulled over. Stay on your side of the river if you want to speed. Plenty of race highways over there with no enforcement.

fatboyhog
2021
fatboyhog 06/28/12 - 08:00 am
Speeding tickets..

if you don't want one, obey the posted limit. If you don't want an illegal tint ticket, then don't violate the tint law. It's pretty much that simple.

bigclaude
bigclaude 06/28/12 - 08:33 am
I think you are all missing

I think you are all missing the big picture here.....who steals a 1989 Honda in the year 2012? It can't be worth that much!!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/28/12 - 09:05 am
Mr. Bonk

We own and operate 5 very large businesses in North Augusta. Have had contacts with 98% of the LEOs and I can tell you they perform there job to the best of their ability and are loyal to the citizens of NA.
Very little tolerance to anybody violating any laws from Murder to illegal parking. If many other cites operated followed suit, I feel that our crime rate and law violation would drop drastically. MHO.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/28/12 - 09:06 am
VERY FEW

cold cases.

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/28/12 - 09:07 am
Wait wait wait... So she

Wait wait wait... So she pumped gas FIRST and THEN went inside to pay? Now I know it can't be true. Nobody lets you do that anymore!

avidreader
avidreader 06/28/12 - 09:49 am
OK, I Admit It!

The same thing happened to me several years ago, and yes, I'll admit it; I was STUPID. I was at a Circle K; I filled up and went inside to pay. My keys were in the ignition. Thieves target gas stations because they know that fools like me will rise to their occasion. My car was eventually recovered -- trashed and the roof caved in.

I learned a valuable lesson.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/28/12 - 10:12 am
I wonder how many murders the

I wonder how many murders the police ignore while pulling you over for your speeding violation......my guess is ZERO. Just because they are pulling you over for VIOLATING the law, does not mean they are neglecting any other crimes. It amazes me the number of people who blame the police when they get a ticket for violating the law.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/28/12 - 10:29 am
The "If you don't want a

The "If you don't want a ticket don't speed" is bogus on its face. IF, and that is a big IF, they are routinely ticketing people for <5 mph over the limit, it is just wrong. There isn't a driver out there that doesn't speed on a daily basis if, as a practical matter, anything over the limit is truly a violation. I dare anyone to claim they can hold it exactly on 45 coming down Georgia ave., or any of the other downhills into N. Augusta. If you do, then you are a hazard because you are staring at the speedometer and not the road.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/28/12 - 10:42 am
AH....the old "it's ok

AH....the old "it's ok because everyone does it" excuse. Let the rationalization begin.

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/28/12 - 10:45 am
@Southern Leslie said, "I

@Southern Leslie said, "I wonder how many murders the police ignore while pulling you over for your speeding violation......my guess is ZERO."

Murders are a bit extreme for an example, but it is a well-documented fact that thieves and armed robbers have walked away from crime scenes on foot in well-trafficked (by cops) areas of North Augusta in the past without being caught, or even pursued in some cases. That's the point people here are making. The fact that NA has these H.E.A.T. cars specifically for targeting drivers says a lot about their priorities. I'm not saying they don't do their job, as I don't ever feel unsafe in NA...but they could do a lot for their public image by changing some things.

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/28/12 - 10:48 am
itsanother day said, "I dare

itsanother day said, "I dare anyone to claim they can hold it exactly on 45 coming down Georgia ave."

Speed limit is 40 or less on all of Georgia Avenue, and 35 or less for most of it. Hold it on 45 and you'd meet the NAPD, too. (c:

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/28/12 - 10:47 am
So the police are supposed to

So the police are supposed to be able to tell that a robber, who is walking by is a robber just by looking at him? What do you suggest....profiling?

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/28/12 - 10:50 am
@Southern Leslie: Not at all.

@Southern Leslie: Not at all. Just that with a description of the subject and knowledge that they WALKED AWAY headed X direction on X road and they aren't even pursued is a problem. Don't be ridiculous.

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/28/12 - 10:56 am
How were the police to know

How were the police to know that they were the robbers? The idea that the police knew they were the robbers and made no attempt to stop them is absurd.

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/28/12 - 11:11 am
@Southern Leslie: Uhh, they

@Southern Leslie: Uhh, they had a *description* and knew they walked away...not driving, not running, not riding a bike. Walked. With a description. I guess that's hard to follow?

Southern Leslie
Southern Leslie 06/28/12 - 12:35 pm
So you are accusing the

So you are accusing the police of intentionally letting armed robbers get away. That would be a crime....bring up charges.

allhans
allhans 06/28/12 - 04:21 pm
Its' hot out there. Gotta

Its' hot out there. Gotta have some wheels....

allhans
allhans 06/28/12 - 04:40 pm
...."the officer was unable

...."the officer was unable to determine the gender or race of the suspect."

pommom38
pommom38 06/28/12 - 04:49 pm
Good point

The ratio of solving crimes vs speeding tickets wrote is astounding I figure....
Not seen where they have solved ANY burglaries, but bet they've written a 1000 tickets!! I don't care either way, I don't commit robbery and have never had a speeding ticket. But anyway, if a person leaves the keys IN the car and it goes missing, then yes, folks are going to blame the *victim*.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/28/12 - 05:22 pm
A good lesson

Of course she left the keys, and of course in a town like Mayberry, we all could. One thing that I have started being really careful about is locking my car WHILE I am pumping the gas. It would take two seconds to open the passenger door and take a purse. And that event, would really ruin my day. I'd rather lose my car, as long is it was not recovered.

madgerman
madgerman 06/28/12 - 05:56 pm
I guess with all the reality

I guess with all the reality shows on TV, most folks have forgotten exactly what reality is. If you don't plan on leaving your keys on the hood of the car, just why would you leave them in the ignition slot?

Jake
Jake 06/28/12 - 07:20 pm
ATM's

Make sure you are careful at ATM's. Many times I go early in the morning to deposit a check and I am the only one there at the bank. How easy it would be for someone to rob me but I am not changing my banking habits on account of fear. I just keep my eyes open to my surroundings.
I also have been in the grocery many times and have seen unattended purses in carts. Sometimes I will wait nearby pretending to look at food items until the person finally goes back to their cart. Most of the times it is elderly ladies, bless their heart.

dwb619
dwb619 06/28/12 - 08:07 pm
NAPD

As I live in Belvedere, there is no way I can go any direction and not pass through part of North Augusta. I know how the NAPD operates, so I drive 5 mph UNDER the limit. I can go all the across North Augusta in less than 10 minutes. You do have to drag your brakes on the hills.
As far as the car theft goes, Dummer grabbed Dum's wheels.