July 4 crackdown on drunken driving begins

Monday, June 25, 2012 3:11 PM
Last updated 10:57 PM

Law enforcement officers across the state are cracking down on drunken driving in preparation for what is often one of the deadliest holidays of the year.

Operation Zero Tolerance began Friday in Georgia and will run throughout the July Fourth travel period.

“The Fourth of July is one of the deadliest holidays due to an increase in impaired driving fatalities,” said Harris Blackwood, the director of the Georgia Governor’s Office of Highway Safety.

Officers will increase patrols and conduct sobriety checkpoints to prevent accidents.

In 2010, there were 298 alcohol-related fatalities in Georgia. The number of alcohol-related crashes for the Fourth of July period was not available.

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 392 people died across the country during the July 4, 2010, travel period. Of those deaths, 39 percent involved at least one driver with a blood-alcohol concentration of 0.08 or higher.

Nearly half of impaired drivers in 2010 were between the ages of 18 and 34.

Though no fatalities connected to drunken driving were recorded for July 2010 in Augusta, the month did have the most DUIs for the year at 148. At least 30 of the incidents resulted in an accident.

The number of DUIs for July 2011 was not as high as the previous year. It tied with December as the fourth-highest month with 120 recorded incidents; however, it had the highest number of DUI-related accidents for the year. About 40 were recorded.

Alcohol-related accidents seem to be more prevalent around the July Fourth holiday, said Richmond County sheriff’s Cpl. Bill Adams.

This year the holiday falls in the middle of the week, but Adams said he doesn’t expect that to affect the number of drunken-driving incidents.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/25/12 - 02:34 pm
People, PLEASE use a DD or

People, PLEASE use a DD or get a ride/tow home if you are snockered. Some local wrecker companies will haul you and your vehicle for $75 or less, which is pretty cheap in comparison to a DUI, or worse yet, an accident.

HighSociety
HighSociety 06/25/12 - 03:13 pm
Alcohol and driving don't go

Alcohol and driving don't go together to well. As posted above there are several different options available to get you home. The DUI fine is high, but the funeral cost is even higher. Remember to plan ahead and be safe!

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/25/12 - 05:44 pm
You know, I'm going to go

You know, I'm going to go ahead and admit that, when I was younger, my friends and I thought nothing of drinking and driving! I am ashamed to admit it, but I did it almost every weekend. I thank God that I never got into an accident, never hurt anyone, or got hurt myself! I don't know why He spared me, but He did and I'm so very thankful. The LAST time I did drink and drive was after the Par 3 Tournament. My girlfriend showed me how I had parked my car in front of my apartment...cockeyed!...and, for whatever reason, it hit me that I could've killed somebody!! To this day, I won't even drink one beer if I know I'm driving home...in fact, I really don't touch the stuff hardly at all anymore. I tell my kids that if they EVER get into a situation where they or their friends have been drinking, and they need a ride home, I PROMISE them that I will not give them a lecture if they just call me for a safe ride home! I hope to God that they will take me up on that. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

HighSociety
HighSociety 06/25/12 - 05:27 pm
Jmo, Alot of us are guilty of

Jmo, Alot of us are guilty of doing it, and your right for whatever reason we made it through it without harm being done. I gave up alcohol along time ago, and glad I did. I've had that same talk with my children.

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 06/25/12 - 10:57 pm
PLEASE....NAPS.....Come to

PLEASE....NAPS.....Come to the Riverview boat ramp with your breathalyzers on weekends and after the fireworks next week, you'll make the roads (and waterways) much safer. The alcohol consumption by boaters on the river is out of control!

bullet28
bullet28 06/26/12 - 05:20 am
We cannot leave it ALL up to

We cannot leave it ALL up to law enforcement to stop drunk drivers. They can't be everywhere, and with FB, I have seen people posting locations of checkpoints to avoid. I have GSP programmed in my phone and if I see someone driving as if they are intoxicated, I call GSP immediately. Citizens have to get involved. You wouldn't witness someone take a loaded gun and start pointing it at people and NOT call the police. This is the same thing....a drunk behind the wheel is a LOADED WEAPON!!! I don't know what the punishment is for DUI but I say it is stiff enough because people have two and three and fifteen offenses and still out doing the same thing. ZERO TOLERANCE!!!! Punishments are automatic and not up to a judge. First offense.....prison time for attempted premeditated murder!

bullet28
bullet28 06/26/12 - 05:22 am
NOT stiff enough is what I

NOT stiff enough is what I meant to say!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 07/06/12 - 02:10 pm
Question about zero tolerance

Does this mean that you can get arrested for DUI no matter how much alcohol is in your system during these special zero tolerance operations? Even if it is below the legal limit???

Local merchants welcome Small Business Saturday

With having to compete with e-commerce and national retailers during the holiday season, local merchants welcome the spotlight that comes with Small Business Saturday.