Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Nearly 30 Augusta storage units vandalized

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:59 AM
Last updated 8:14 PM

Richmond County sheriff’s investigators are searching for the person who broke into 29 storage units overnight Wednesday.

According to an incident report, employees at Store More Self Storage, 3515 Wrights­boro Road, arrived Thurs­day morning to find the locks broken off.

The manager told deputies that the gate at the front entrance had been left unsecured after a moving truck damaged it earlier this month.

The manager said she would attempt to locate the units’ owners to determine what items are missing.

David Parker
David Parker 06/22/12 - 12:22 pm
Bad situation. Betting alot

Bad situation. Betting alot of the owners don't have a clue what all was in their box.

So, if you can't prove that something was in there and now it is not in there, can a lawsuit against the storage facility be implemented to compensate?

If you can't, is the only recourse to take your business and what's left of your belongings somewhere else?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/22/12 - 12:24 pm
Gate damaged earlier this month,

and it wasn't fixed immediately? I'd be talking to my attorney about how much he thinks I should sue them for.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/22/12 - 12:30 pm
The TV shows about buying the

The TV shows about buying the storage lockers is responsible. Sue them.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 06/22/12 - 02:41 pm
That's what's wrong with

That's what's wrong with America, everyone wants to call an attorney before anything else. The phone book is full of attorneys.

bubbasauce
20689
bubbasauce 06/22/12 - 06:10 pm
Do not go to these storage

Do not go to these storage auctions.I went to my first storage auction last weekend, what a joke. More junk than you can imagine. Just wanted to see how one went. No more wasted Saturdays!

KSL
KSL 06/22/12 - 08:31 pm
I'm not for suing at the drop

I'm not for suing at the drop of a hat. Some will find it ironic that my attorney dad was the one who instilled that in me.

That being said, if the storage place let 24 hours go by without repairing that damage, they deserve to be sued.

KSL
KSL 06/22/12 - 08:30 pm
Heck, 24 hours is too long to

Heck, 24 hours is too long to give them to fix it. Legally that is known as negligence on the part of the owner.

KSL
KSL 06/22/12 - 08:44 pm
Dave, I know I don't.

Dave, I know I don't. Antiques, most of my spouses many musical instruments, which come and go as needed, and a bunch of old business info. Quick estimate given me of the value.... it's a law suit if there is negligence, which will never happen.

Thank goodness we graduated from the normal storage to first class.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/22/12 - 11:24 pm
Bush

It's George Bush's fault.

allhans
allhans 06/22/12 - 11:35 pm
Some place it on the

Some place it on the curb..FFA

KSL
KSL 06/23/12 - 02:16 am
I am not placing $15,000

I am not placing 15K to 20K worth of musical instruments on the curb.

KSL
KSL 06/23/12 - 02:13 am
And there is only one of

And there is only one of those spouse is willing to part with.

jackrussell
jackrussell 06/23/12 - 02:26 am
They could have hired a

They could have hired a deputy to guard the entrance until repairs were made. I'm sure it would've cost less than they're going to be responsible for now.

KSL
KSL 06/23/12 - 02:35 am
Probably have inadequate

Probably have inadequate insurance. Maybe inadequate employee training. At this point, the owner is the only one to blame based on the reporting.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/23/12 - 06:51 am
Don't those places have

Don't those places have disclaimers saying they are not responsbile for thefts, etc.?

fd1962
fd1962 06/23/12 - 08:54 am
Storage unit businesses do

Storage unit businesses do have disclaimers. Plus, most prominently post advising lessors of space to obtain separate insurance coverage for their contents. Can only lead horses to water though...

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/12 - 09:24 am
Living there

I have been told that some needy folks live in storage units....too bad they didn't have a few there ......

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.