Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Bond denied for man arrested in death of homeless man

Friday, June 22, 2012 11:36 AM
Last updated 8:54 PM

Bond was denied Friday morning for a man accused of beating a fellow homeless man to death with a 20-pound lamp.

Bryant Willerson, 44, was arrested on suspicion of murder June 12 after William McClain, 63, was found dead in a patch of grass outside the old Days Inn property at 444 Broad St.

Jared T. Williams, of the district attorney’s office, said at the hearing that McClain was wearing only a shirt when he was found.

According to Willerson’s statement to investigators, he went to the abandoned property to talk with McClain about picking up cans to recycle. He found McClain naked in a hotel bed, and an argument ensued when McClain propositioned Willerson, Williams said.

In the course of the argument, Willerson grabbed a 5-foot-tall floor lamp with a
20-pound base and hit McClain repeatedly, Williams said.

Also on Friday morning, bond was set at $15,000 for a man accused of stabbing his roommate with a pocket knife during an argument over stinky feet.

Richmond County sheriff’s investigators said the victim, Darryl Harris, 56, accused Crawford Jackson of having smelly feet June 11 at their home on Cedar Street. Jackson responded by cutting Harris on his finger and stomach with the knife, Williams said. Jackson was charged with aggravated assault.

Williams said Jackson has had previous brushes with the law. In 2008, he stabbed roommate Phillip Scott in the stomach with a pocketknife. The small puncture became infected and ultimately killed Scott. Jackson was acquitted of murder in 2009.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/22/12 - 10:42 am
Hate to be cellmates with

Hate to be cellmates with those guys.

Frank I
Frank I 06/22/12 - 10:59 am
They should pack 'em in

They should pack 'em in together. Though I don't guess Willerson is going to complain too much about his confinement, he doesn't have to worry about the elements or his next meal.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 06/22/12 - 11:47 am
I guess when he was

I guess when he was propositioned he could have just said "no thanks" and moved on instead of killing the guy.

These folk are homeless for a reason.

SPARKSTER83
SPARKSTER83 06/22/12 - 01:19 pm
LMBO RIVERMAN THAT COMMENT

LMBO RIVERMAN THAT COMMENT MADE MY DAY BUT OH SO TRUE!!!!!

CommanderBacon
CommanderBacon 06/25/12 - 01:18 am
Murderer

This man killed my father, William McClain
I was present at the bond hearing, and it gives me and my family great relief to see that Willerson will not be getting out on bond. Its true my father was mentally challenged, but he was brutally beaten to death. Next will probably be the preliminary hearing, and then the grand jury. I will go to the preliminary hearing if I can, but the grand jury hearing is going to be a closed courtroom, and I won't be allowed to attend.
-Timothy McClain, a grieving son

What you pay at pump may change

ATLANTA - House leaders released the outline Wednesday of a plan they say will boost funding for transportation by $1 billion without raising taxes, although legislators and lobbyists who heard it ...