Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Some Greenbrier gluers pay restitution

Monday, June 18, 2012 1:45 PM
Last updated 7:38 PM

At least three of the four girls who squirted super glue into the door locks at Greenbrier High School have paid restitution, a Columbia County school board member said.

School trustee Mike Sleeper said in a text message last week that three of the girls paid their share of the more than $5,000 it cost to repair the locks. He was unsure who paid restitution or if the fourth teen had yet contributed.

As a prank last month, four Greenbrier High seniors – Brooklyn Leigh Bella, 17; Elizabeth Sutton Metz, 17; Dynisha Antoinette Clemons, 17; and Kristin Arey Tannehill, 18 – squirted super glue into more than 40 locks at the school. Each was arrested soon after by the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office and charged with second-degree criminal damage to property.

School officials punished the teens by banning them from the Greenbrier graduation ceremony. They also demanded that the girls pay the cost of fixing the locks before giving them their diplomas or releasing their grades from the second semester.

District Attorney Ashley Wright said last month in an e-mail that her office has the complete case file from the sheriff’s office and will be working on a presentation to a grand jury.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/18/12 - 01:52 pm
Make that Super Gluers.

Make that Super Gluers.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/18/12 - 03:10 pm
Didn't Ms. Wright present this to the grand jury last Tuesday?

One of the gluers is reported to have bragged early last Tuesday morning to her WH "friends" that her "Mom is going to take care of it" later that day.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/18/12 - 03:48 pm
Why all the nastiness towards these girls....

They did a silly thing and are going to have consequences for it. End of the story.

And Craig, "My Mom is going to take care of it" could mean many things including making the appropriate restitution.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/18/12 - 03:57 pm
This is sad...

because Greenbrier made the front page of USA today in an article on the nation-wide crackdown on vandalism. Of all the school's accomplishments, Greenbrier in Georgia will be nationally known only for the acts of these four losers.

Lakeside95 06/18/12 - 04:27 pm
Glad that official school

Glad that official school board information is being shared via Mike Sleeper's text messages.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/18/12 - 04:44 pm
WB,

Would one brag were one's Mom going to pay restitution?

Would an inebriated teen brag that "Steve Morris can't do anything to me" if the male youth intended to pay for a DUI?

And, by the way, from unimpeachable sources I learned that the "Cool Mom" of the braggart wouldn't "take care of it."

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/18/12 - 05:39 pm
Lakeside, I'm not surprised

Lakeside, I'm not surprised at all with Mike Sleeper spreading school news via text messages! The guy usually regurgitates all his information to the local radio media, so if you haven't heard it there yet, you will. Now, to be quite honest, I don't fault the local radio media at all...I mean, if you've got some cocky dude that can't keep his mouth shut, then you might as well benefit from it and keep your listeners fed with information, right? To be frank about it, I don't trust Mike Sleeper and I never have. This is yet another reason not to vote for the guy. As far as the "Greenbrier Gluers" are concerned, it's time to move on...they've paid their dues (monetarily and punitively). I sincerely hope other kids have learned from this.

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/18/12 - 05:49 pm
No Bill?

Maybe the grand jury will return a no bill?

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/18/12 - 06:18 pm
JMO,

You are a discerning judge of human character.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/18/12 - 06:42 pm
Mike Sleeper just likes to see his name!

Sleeper is as bad as Pam Tucker in enjoying seeing his name in print. He should leave announcements to the Superintendants office and tend to his little one vote in the system.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/18/12 - 07:48 pm
Craig, thank you very much.

Craig, thank you very much. Coming from you, I take that as a...well, I'm not sure how to take that! LOL! Yeah, I can tell your comment was very tongue-in-cheek. Look, I've got my reasons for my opinions on Mr. Sleeper. Those opinions are based on history and personal experience. Simple as that.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/18/12 - 08:30 pm
Craig, Count 1, Yes, I would

Craig,

Count 1, Yes, I would say they would, believing that once paid, out of trouble. Or at the very worst, just quoting mom.

Count 2: You know that has nothing to do with these girls.

Count 3: Believe it or not, not every "Cool Mom" has the "Cold Cash".

The bottom line is this, what difference does it make what comments you hear attributed to teens caught in the act of doing wrong? Of course, they will brag; they are embarrassed and doing what the immature do to save face, or so they think.

Throwing the baby out with the bathwater isn't the solution. My guess is that you must be just fed up with the whole system.

Lakeside95 06/18/12 - 09:51 pm
I think it will be

I think it will be interesting to see if Sleeper has opposition in his race next time. I agree that Sleeper is the mouth of the BoE...at least Pam Tucker is informative.
If cooler heads had prevailed, the only communications regarding this case should have come from the superintendents office.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/19/12 - 12:16 am
JMO,

My 6:18 PM post was serious in nature.

Bizkit
Bizkit 06/19/12 - 10:19 am
Well these kids did something

Well these kids did something stupid. What can I say-a product of Georgia Public Schools. Given the status of our schools, I would wager the intellect and maturity of the students isn't much different than their teachers. I have been appalled at the ignorance of some of the teachers in Columbia County. The school system is broken.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 06/19/12 - 02:27 pm
Welcome to Mayberry

Big news in the "small town" South.

"Barney.....I gotta go over the high school......some girls done glued up a bunch o' locks. If Aint Bee calls, tell her I'll be home for dinner."

"Right, Andy!"

jaschild
jaschild 06/19/12 - 09:04 pm
bizkit, how about a product

bizkit, how about a product of their parents? wait a minute, how about of themselves. i find it appalling that so much is blamed on the school system and or teachers. yes, i'm a parent and yes, my children attended Columbia County schools and yes, my kids have had their share of trouble. not once have i had the mind to blame it on the school system. if someone has a problem with school system - why not approach the school system or better yet, if it is that bad, then homeschool your child. if you can do a better job, than by all means - do your parenting and stop blaming society and everyone else.

jaschild