Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Mom sues Club 5150 over death of daughter, Ashley Brown

The mother of a woman gunned down in an Augusta nightclub last year is suing the club, its owners and the two men charged with the homicide of Ashley Brown.

The suit filed June 6 asks to award Beverly Robinson for the “full value” of Brown’s life at a price to be determined by a jury. Brown was 26 when she was fatally shot in the head Sept. 15 outside Club 5150 at 2864 Deans Bridge Road.

In October a prosecutor at a bond hearing said a fight involving Robert Leverett Wright and Dachavous Murphy broke out at the club that night. The pair left the club and returned minutes later; Wright was driving, and Murphy fired from the car’s window at a crowd, Assistant District Attorney John O’Neal said.

One of the bullets hit Brown, who was celebrating a friend’s birthday that night.

The lawsuit names Murphy and Wright as defendants, along with club co-owners Chartara Newman, Tavaras Jones and the property owner, William E. Walker III. It accuses them of negligence, nuisance, negligent homicide and wrongful death.

Comments (18)

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/18/12 - 12:55 pm

Full value of life??? Am I

Full value of life??? Am I reading this right? The things lawyers can convience people to sue for. The only person who will be walking away with some cash based on this woman's life will be the lawyer who will be robbing her mother blind.

KSL
KSL 06/18/12 - 01:00 pm

Just looking for pockets with

Just looking for pockets with money in them.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/18/12 - 01:06 pm

I could go there, but I'm

I could go there, but I'm not. Sueing the owner of the Club................

iLove
iLove 06/18/12 - 01:19 pm

Compassion

C'mon yall......where is your heart?

sueboo418
sueboo418 06/18/12 - 01:43 pm

I feel for this woman on the

I feel for this woman on the loss of her daughter, so young and so much life ahead of her. Unfortunately, she was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Suing isn't going to bring her back. And I don't get suing the club owners. They had no idea these thugs were going to drive up in the parking lot and open fire. Murphy and Wright maybe but not the club owners. Sounds like a money hungry lawyer somewhere in there!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/18/12 - 02:09 pm

Where is my compassion? Right

Where is my compassion? Right where everyones else's is that think clearly. Unfortunately, those thinking less clearly on a jury will twist their noses just right and figure out why the club owner is liable; just because "somebody gotta pay".

I hope the first thing a judge does is allow the club owner to be dismissed from the suit, and let her proceed with suing those directly at fault for the wrongful death of her daughter.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/18/12 - 02:15 pm

I have compassion for her

I have compassion for her losing her daughter. BUT........the property owner is certainly not responsible and I doubt the co-owners of the club are responsible. If I was on the jury she could have everything she can get from old Dachavous but that's about it.

iLove
iLove 06/18/12 - 02:23 pm

Wait for the facts then...

Do you guys know the DETAILS of that night....or are you speaking only from what you have read on AC.com?

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/18/12 - 02:56 pm

Does a property owner have a legal duty...

to make a good faith effort to insure that his/her property is not used in a manner which undermines peace and good order?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/18/12 - 02:58 pm

Unless the club owner told

Unless the club owner told the other two to come back and shoot, then he isn't/and shouldn't be part of a suit. Period

I don't think that is the case, so I don't need to know the DETAILS.

David Parker
David Parker 06/18/12 - 03:36 pm

I'm going to get crazy here

I'm going to get crazy here and say maybe a judge and jury should determine if a property/business owner is responsible to some degree, for things that occur on their property. Bottom line, if the business was not open, this would not have happened at that location at that time. Also, take notice that there are dozens and dozens of clubs and bars that don't have a shooting of this nature. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, it's just that in the circumstances here, it did happen.

Again, let the Judge judge before we acquit anybody.

Jeepster2001
Jeepster2001 06/18/12 - 04:21 pm

This Club Has a Reputation -- None of it Good

If you do a search on "Club 5150" and/or "Chartara", you'll find all knids of things about this club - and none of them good. There had been under-age alcohol and another shooting previously. A dangerous place that the marshals would no longer show up for "specials", because of the lack of control. And the owner knew about the issue, and should've shut the place down, when no security could be provided. A cesspool.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/18/12 - 05:27 pm

#1. The incident occurred

#1. The incident occurred outside of the building. No amount of security will stop someone of from leaving and returning to shoot into a crowd.

#2. If this was a known place where violence breaks out, the daughter bears some responsibility for going there.

myfather15
myfather15 06/19/12 - 04:25 am

I've actually heard people on

I've actually seen people on here that SEEM to be blaming the club/business because they were open, and have a bad reputation for violence.

Lets address the "Open" part. So next time I'm in line in a convenience store and a robber comes in and sticks a gun in the clerks face, I think I'll sue for mental anguish because the store shouldn't have been open at that time. They also shouldn't have let that robber hit the store while I was in line, thats completely unacceptable. Shouldn't that store provide security officers, maybe off duty deputies to guard against such things?

Jeepster just made a good point but probably not the one I'm thinking about. This place is a cess pool. I'm in law enforcement and I've heard of this club and its reputation. Thats why I DO NOT feel compassion for a single human being who CHOOSES to go to this establishment. I will promise you one thing, you won't read amout me getting shot there becaue I would NEVER be on that property period.

I know noone goes there with plans to get shot but when you have a club where gang bangers, drug dealers and all sorts of other low lifes attend, there will be problems. WE THE PEOPLE make our own bed and we dang sure need to lay in it. When you make extremely poor decisions, live with the consequences. Don't blame others and try to get rich off you or your families poor decisions. That goes for anyone. That is one of the main problems that is destroying our society today and for the future. It seems no matter what people do and how bad they behave, its not their fault. They either have depression, anger problems, alcoholism (called a disease), drug addict (its also a disease don't you know), Bi-polar, ect. There is an excuse for absolutely everything. Its the diseases fault, not the persons and if you feel different, your not compassionate.

In this case, its the property owners fault, the business owners fault, shooters fault (which is actually true), but certainly there is not blame to the person who made an extremely idiotic decision to attend this club known for violence, is there? I'm actually suprise they haven't found a way to sue Richmond County S.O. or the ambulance service, the bullet manufacturer, the gun manufacturer and on and on.

Now, let the bashing of me begin because I'm so uncompassionate!! I already expect to get way more thumbs down for this than thumbs up, thats just how people are becoming.

KSL
KSL 06/18/12 - 10:19 pm

It all goes back to the idea

It all goes back to the idea of entitlement. My daughter was there so I am entitled. Since when is a mother entitled to the life time value of a daughter? Was she expecting her daughter to provide for her from age 26 forward. Or do we have an opportunist attorney taking advantage of a grieving mother?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/18/12 - 10:38 pm

KSL

I'm afraid that greed is shared by both the family and attorney. They are looking for deep pockets to enrich the lawyer, and salve the emotional wounds of the mother.

It brings to mind the unfortunate accident that happened to a relative of a good friend. He had an accident at a construction site that left him with some disability. Purely an accident where he tripped and fell from a second story. I was as popular as a fece in a punchbowl when I argued that the employer had no liability; the employees assume a certain amount of liability when that take on a job that has certain dangers.
Their attitude? " Well, SOMEBODY has to pay!!!!" My answer was "WHY?? It was an accident of his own doing."

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/18/12 - 10:43 pm

myfather 15

Double thumbs up if I could give them.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/19/12 - 08:20 pm

If the club was for 21 and

If the club was for 21 and over and these shooters were inside, that is reason enough. Had their hoodlum behinds not been allowed in a 21 and over club their juvenile acting selves wouldn't have been shooting in the club, striking an innocent bystander. So I say sue sue sue. Due to the fact that Augusta kids act a fool when they go out, they don't need a teen club, they need strictly adult clubs for people with class.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 06/19/12 - 08:08 am

it's a shame another life was

it's a shame another life was lost....cuture, culture, culture of violence. if this club has a known reputation of catering to thugs, wannabe wanksters, drug dealers, ho's, pimps or any other dreg of society sez a lot about the victim and her ability to make sound judgements concerning her life, helath, or safety. no its time to find someone to sue for as her mom sez "full value of her life" well if i am on the jury the first question i would ask is where was he in life, what level of education did she have?? what type of job skills did she acquire in her short life?, where did she plan to go career wise and what tools did she have to get there?, that being said because she was "here" does not place a monetary value on life. intrinsic or emotional value to family yes, money value for the sake of money NO!!!!! smells like an opportunistic lawyer and family member to me, looking in this society where everyone can sue for anything and get paid, looks like a chance to get "broke off a little change"

David Parker
David Parker 06/19/12 - 09:34 am

So reading comments here, by

So reading comments here, by my count, I can get a job, provide a service to them on their terms, as you do. Then make them a success. However, if something occurs in the process of making my employer money and I get injured by chance, by accident, I've no recourse? Sounds like employers hold all the chips and the people that support them are expendible. NAH, I didn't come up with the idea of insurance, but I pay it. If someone skimps on their coverage or doesn't conduct business within accordance to the law, let a judge call them out on it or confirm that they are not liable.

Alot of yall act like there is no risk in running a business. I'm sure the other side of the coin is just a shiny, with alot of business owners dodging protocols and getting away with it. Alot of them retire very PHAT.

Nobody forces anybody to run their own business. Don't mean to hijack the thread with a debate on degrees of responsibility but c'mon, let a judicial system weigh-in here.

iLove
iLove 06/19/12 - 09:44 am

21 and up

I am glad that Patty-P can understand what I am saying.
So most feel that the owners are NOT responsible?

Did you guys know Ashley? Have you ever made a bad decision in life?
She was leaving out of the club....AFTER the melee....running out of the door. Shot IN THE DOORWAY. If these YOUNG BOYS were not allowed to enter from the beginning, would there had been a death? Who knows, fact is,

OWNERS ALLOWED under 21 y/o BOYS ENTER.

#heartless

iLove
iLove 06/19/12 - 09:46 am

Myfather

Usually your comments are tactful and well thought out...delivered well. I am usually in agreement with your ideas and views. What happend this time?

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/19/12 - 10:50 am

Some people must

first learn to assimilate and associate with civilized humans before they are released to prey upon them. That starts from birth. Some of you parents ain't "worth killing".

moonlighter6
moonlighter6 06/19/12 - 01:35 pm

Value of a Life?

First and foremost, my deepest condolences to the family and friends of Ms. Brown. May she rest eternally peaceful in Heaven.

Sad, now the courts will decide on a dollar value for the loss of Ms. Brown? If you asked her family, friends, and the general public; BILLIONS will not suffice !

Closing or disallowing licenses for Clubs and Bars should be our focus. It is rare to hear about such shootings taking place at any Church or House of Worship.

NoHayManera
NoHayManera 06/19/12 - 07:19 pm

And the club is responsible

And the club is responsible for Ms. Ashley Brown's death, how?

myfather15
myfather15 06/20/12 - 12:16 am

I don't know what happened

I don't know what happened Ilove. Just a disagreement on one topic I suppose, but thats ok. I know many may not believe it but I have compassion for people, even when they make bad decisions. Every club in Augusta and just about every other city I've been to, has a problem with teens sneaking in. Ever heard of a fake ID? They are everywhere and are better quality than ever. The teens came back and fired from a car window outside the bar. There is no way the owners of the bar and especially the property, could have prevented this.

This is a club that is famous for its fights, shooting and stabbings. Why would ANYONE attend this club, FOR ANY REASON? It just doesn't make sense. Sounds to me, since the shooters left and returned, firing out of a vehicle window, that the only ones at fault here are the low lifes that committed the offense, but thats just my opinion. I just get tired of seeing ridiculous lawsuits from people who will blame everyone but a bad decision, maybe on their part. Lawsuits like this do affect all of us. Yes, Insurance will pay a lot of the damages, but that will make mine, yours and everyone elses insurance go up. Each lawsuit has that affect.

I don't even like to call this a mistake. Knowing that a club/bar is known for violence, then choosing to attend it anyway, isn't a mistake but rather a very bad decision. People aren't being held accountable for their own decisions now days, as I wrote earlier. I feel for the victim, but you mark my words, until that club is completely shut down, PEOPLE will still CHOOSE to attend it. The make a FREE WILLED choice to still attend a club such as that. So YES, its a little difficult for me to still have compassion for people that would get injured there in the future. In closing, I like the statement "If the truth offends you, does it make it any less true?" Answer that question to yourself.