Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Man, 64, charged with growing pot

Saturday, June 16, 2012 10:04 PM
Last updated 11:00 PM

A 64-year-old man was arrested Saturday afternoon on charges of growing marijuana in his backyard, authorities said.

Richmond County sheriff’s deputies called to the 1400 block of Springview Drive because of possible drug activity found green plants growing in the yard, an incident report said.

When one deputy walked to the backyard, he smelled marijuana and called narcotics to the scene. Resident Thomas Samuel Price was arrested at the scene on charges of producing marijuana and felony possession of marijuana, the report said.

dwb619
dwb619 06/16/12 - 11:09 pm
more to come

64 years old. Born in'48, graduated high school mid 60's. About right age and time frame of the first large wave of pot smokers. I believe this will become more common place. Us baby boomers with retirement time on our hands.

cl
cl 06/16/12 - 11:36 pm
Maybe one day soon, this very

Maybe one day soon this very useful plant will be decriminalized. And then we wont have to waste the cops' time, along with the courts and jails time, and money! All wasted on prosecuting old men for growing some pot. This is asinine!

Abbynoll
Abbynoll 06/16/12 - 11:37 pm
"some pot"

Was it just "some pot" or was it a bunch? C'mon, Chronicle, tell "the rest of the story".

KSL
KSL 06/17/12 - 12:16 am
Well, my spouse and I are of

Well, my spouse and I are of that age. We didn't smoke it then and don't smoke it now. Tomatoes and legal herbs will be all you find us growing. That and flowers and trees.

Dwb, spent time in Ivy League schools and southern schools. Never saw pot being smoked.

cl
cl 06/17/12 - 12:02 am
Some, or a bunch, who cares?

Some, or a bunch, who cares? 1 plant or 20. Who cares. Its a plant that flat out cures some eating disorders, eases pain for thousands, and helps millions deal with stress related issues. The only reason it's illegal is because the drug companies want you to use their drugs, not some plant that anyone can grow. Lies prevent evolution. Seek the truth. Evolve.

KSL
KSL 06/17/12 - 12:11 am
In the interest of keeping up

In the interest of keeping up with the times and being informed, I did read somewhere about 2 weeks ago thst there is a much stronger and more harmful form of marijuana out there now. Care to give me info to refute that? That would mean credible data from a reliable sorce.

KSL
KSL 06/17/12 - 12:08 am
cl, never mine he was making

cl, never mine he was making money without paying taxes. A double no-no. That got Al Capone.

cl
cl 06/17/12 - 12:21 am
Well KSL, I can appeal to the

Well KSL, I can appeal to the gardener in you, if you have an open mind. How much different are the tomatoes that you grow in your garden now, compared to the ones that, lets just say, your parents grew? Marijuana is a PLANT! It is, I have heard, grown 'better' than it used to be but like any plant it has DNA that, like us, controls all aspects of it's growth and strength. So, like the tomatoes you grow, it hasn't changed much... I hear

KSL
KSL 06/17/12 - 12:25 am
Attention

Didn't pay much attention since it did not apply. I will say that the tomato plants I have this year are producing more prolifically than those in the past. Now, if when cooked they produce increased protrction from prostate cancer, we won't know it.

You get it?

KSL
KSL 06/17/12 - 12:31 am
Oh, and I hear there are

Oh, and I hear there are improved plants that are no longer susceptible to diseases of the past.

Live a little longer and learn.

cl
cl 06/17/12 - 12:33 am
Wow, you are difficult. I was

Wow, you are difficult. I was just pointing out that any changes in any plant's evolution is a slow process. You can grow 5 pound tomatoes but do they taste good? Get it? All plants have an optimal growth perimeter. In other words, the claim about super weed is bunk.

cl
cl 06/17/12 - 12:36 am
What were we talking about?

What were we talking about?

cl
cl 06/17/12 - 12:40 am
Life's a garden... Dig it!

Life's a garden... Dig it! Good luck Mr. Price

KSL
KSL 06/17/12 - 12:49 am
Mine are certainly not going

Mine are certainly not going to make it to 5 pounds, thankfully.

KSL
KSL 06/17/12 - 12:46 am
Mr. Price, I hope they throw

Mr. Price, I hope they throw the book at you if for no other reason than you are not paying your fair share of taxes.

cl
cl 06/17/12 - 12:53 am
FYI - Over half of every tax

FYI - Over half of every tax dollar that the federal government receives is spent on defense, aka war. I paid more than General Electric in taxes in 2011. Look it up. ps , I didn't pay much.

debbiep38
debbiep38 06/17/12 - 01:21 am
Onward through the fog.

Onward through the fog.

Techfan
Techfan 06/17/12 - 03:52 am
Man how times have changed.

Man how times have changed. Jamestown 1619, all colonists were REQUIRED to grow hemp.

dwb619
dwb619 06/17/12 - 05:39 am
KSL

You jump to a conclusion.
My comment was meant to reflect that this age group is in the midst of retirement. Not that the entire group are dope smokers.
I made my living from 1975 until 2009 in the nuclear construction and security industry.Which has probably the most intense substance abuse policies of any industry.
If someone wants to smoke a little dope at home, fine by me. I believe I would rather be around the dope smoker than the alcoholic anyway.

cl
cl 06/17/12 - 06:59 am
KSL, you are welcome to break

KSL, you are welcome to break bread with me anytime. Everyone have a Happy Fathers Day!

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/17/12 - 07:14 am
CL, I doubt you paid more

CL, I doubt you paid more than GE. There were taxes paid on all materials they purchased to produce the products they sell. As far as pot smoking. I am in that age group and saw pleanty of it. The smokers were a duh, what, can't remember. The big drinkers were the same way.

freeradical
freeradical 06/17/12 - 08:01 am
This is one more thing the

This is one more thing the government needs to get out of the

business of . Both prosecutiing , or taxing .

Just let people be .

Maybe like alcohol just say you can only grow so much per year.

smity
smity 06/17/12 - 08:35 am
Leave him alone!

He isn't doing this "spice" that's undefined as to the long term effects, he isn't harming anyone. Hey, remember, Pres Clinton didn't inhale, may be this guy won't either. Times shall change things as soon as we find a fix for stupid!

WAG
WAG 06/17/12 - 09:14 am
What are yall fussin about.

What are yall fussin about. It is illegal! Nuff said!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/17/12 - 11:24 am
If pot has all these curative

If pot has all these curative powers; why isn't it used by the pharmaceutical companies? Surely they could extract the active ingredients and put it in an inhaler or pill.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/17/12 - 11:29 am
cl, as long as you understand

cl, as long as you understand that corps don't really pay taxes, people who buy their products and receive their stock dividends ultimately wind up with the tab. Taxe is like any other business expense, it is built into the price of their products to ensure their profitability.

burninater
burninater 06/17/12 - 11:40 am
itsanotherday, there ARE

itsanotherday, there ARE prescription medicines that use chemicals directly from marijuana plants or that make synthetic versions of those chemicals.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/17/12 - 11:54 am
Burn

OK, so then there shouldn't be reasons to smoke pot for therapeutic reasons, right?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/17/12 - 11:55 am

twolane
twolane 06/17/12 - 12:46 pm
do some research

the synthetic version of marinol has several deadly other chemicals and science is quickly debunking any serious cancer dangers from smoking marijuana...and it does have properties that do hinder the growth of cancer cells....you folks should actually read science articles and by the way weed was legal until a buncha raciscts whites thought it would make blacks rape their white women