Prostitution sting catches Gwinnett cop

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 7:57 AM
Last updated 7:03 PM

LAWRENCEVILLE- A Gwinnett County police officer has resigned after being arrested in a prostitution sting in Barrow County.

A spokesman for the Gwinnett County police says Brian Kelly submitted his resignation Tuesday afternoon after he was served with a letter of intent to terminate him.

Barrow County Sheriff Jud Smith told WSB-TV (http://bit.ly/L3LgLy) that he did not know Kelly was a police officer until Monday night. The sheriff said Kelly was arrested May 31 after an undercover deputy posed as a prostitute in an ad online and arranged a meeting with Kelly at a motel in Winder. The sheriff said Kelly exchanged money before he was arrested.

Kelly had worked as a Gwinnett County officer since 2003 and served as a public information officer for two years, ending in late 2010.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/13/12 - 09:05 am
Dang

I just read this in my local paper....what was he THINKING!!

Tots
Tots 06/13/12 - 09:50 am
He was,

Maybe thinking about "puddin tang" or that back door thang....

HighSociety
HighSociety 06/13/12 - 12:03 pm
Thats too funny Tots!

Thats too funny Tots!

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/13/12 - 12:33 pm
I wonder if he ever met the

I wonder if he ever met the UGA professor?

I'm Back Again
I'm Back Again 06/13/12 - 12:45 pm
I'm not in any way condoning

I'm not in any way condoning what the cop did. But seriously, he got the cops (fake prostitute) info from the internet, an went to a hotel and met with her in private. Who cares really? Whats the difference in that and meeting your girlfriend at a hotel for an afternoon fling, and giving her a little spending money before ya leave? I know its against the law, but this should be one of the laws that just doesnt get enforced. Kinda like jay walking, or going 3 mph over the spped limit. Is it wrong? yes, but nobody really cares. He wasnt hurting anybody. And afterall, if the fake cop didnt post her fake ad, he couldnt have called her.
Doesnt make sense at all. Two 17 yr olds can have mutual sex in a hotel and wave as the cops walk by and its fine. Then you can have two 40 year old people having sex for 100 bucks and its illegal. The only difference is the money. And that folks is what the government is all about!

specsta
specsta 06/13/12 - 03:31 pm
Taxpayer Dollars

"...an undercover deputy posed as a prostitute in an ad online and arranged a meeting with Kelly at a motel in Winder..."

What a waste of police resources.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/13/12 - 11:41 pm
I do not approve of prostitution, but

this doesn't sound right. Why would a police/sheriff's dept. run an ad to attract hits on "sex for sale"? I can see them answering someone's elses' ad, but, not being the instigator. It looks like entrapment to me. Not often that I can agree with Specsta; so wonder if I am missing something?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/12 - 12:09 am
B4

I can assure you of one thing, he wasn't thinking with his brain.

myfather15
myfather15 06/14/12 - 01:02 am
Many prostitution rings have

Many prostitution rings have also moved their business online as so many other businesses have as well. Prostitution spreads disease and other criminal activity such as violence. It is just one aspect of crime that law enforcement targets. Its not a waste of time as some would put it. Its just a shame that a person who is suppose to be a person of honor and integrity would partake in such activities. But, before people start bashing all law enforcement, just remember, in any profession as large as law enforement, you will always have bad seeds. Don't lump us all into this same category.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.