Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Columbia County teen facing rape charge

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 2:29 PM
Last updated 11:31 PM

Columbia County authorities have charged an Evans teen with rape and aggravated child molestation.

Blake Weems, 17, was arrested Tuesday on charges of rape and aggravated child molestation.  SPECIAL
SPECIAL

Blake Davis Weems, 17, of the 4100 block of Quinn Drive, was arrested Tuesday after a 13-year-old girl told her parents that he molested her. The parents then called the Sheriff’s Office.

The girl said Weems forced her to have sex, according to a sheriff’s office report.

Weems was being held at the Columbia County Detention Center. Bond had not been set.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/13/12 - 08:08 pm
Tragedies for both young folks,...

their families and their friends.

happychimer
happychimer 06/13/12 - 08:30 pm
He knew better. Now he must

He knew better. Now he must face what he did. No means no. Too many don't understand the word no.I have no sympathy for him at all.Let the wheels of justice roll.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/13/12 - 08:41 pm
Thumbs up on that Happy. 17

Thumbs up on that Happy. 17 and 13 are not close enough in age for there to be any benefit of the doubt considered.

whyme
whyme 06/13/12 - 09:53 pm
Benefit of the Doubt

I don't know either parties involved in this situation and unless the above comments were made by people directly at the scene of the alleged crime, no one should be making judgment calls. While it is typical of most people on these boards to write based on the article presented, it shows a lack of common sense. It may indeed turn out that the young man is guilty and justice should be served. However, until that time, I prefer to show some intelligence and hold my comments until that time.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/12 - 12:15 am
whyme

Most of the time I try and use that recommendation, Rushing to judgement can sometime make you look real stupid.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/14/12 - 07:21 am
I agree; ICL, her comment

I agree; ICL, her comment is inappropriate.

Jeepster2001
Jeepster2001 06/14/12 - 08:48 am
3rd Charge

I agree that she jumped to conclusions. However, the statement of the third charge was correct, and was not listed in the story.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/14/12 - 09:27 am
Unless, he did NOT have sex

Unless, he did NOT have sex with her, there was a crime committed. Period, end of story; and that is a fact, not a rush to judgement.

It is sad when you cannot opine on the news of the day as it is written, without the hypersensitive folks getting their noses out of joint.

lonelupuswolf
lonelupuswolf 06/14/12 - 09:40 am
2 sides to every story

There is always 2 sides to every story and the truth is somewhere in the middle. It is hard to make judgement unless you know both parties. I pray for the family of this young man as I know that it must be really hard on them as it is for the family of the young girl.

happychimer
happychimer 06/14/12 - 09:51 am
I don't see whose comment was

I don't see whose comment was inappropriate, unless it was removed. I know mine is not inappropriate.Let the wheels of justice roll. If he is guilty, the judge should sock it to him.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/14/12 - 10:13 am
Feelings

My feelings goes out to possibly just one family in this case.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/14/12 - 12:11 pm
Forced sex should be easy to

Forced sex should be easy to prove based on a medical exam, especially in a girl that young. If he did it the truth will come out. I bet this type of thing happens many times and goes unreported. If it did happened I applaud the girl for being brave enough to tell her parents.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/14/12 - 12:53 pm
Stillamazed, I realize the

Stillamazed, I realize the central issue here is about rape, and time will tell if there is guilt or innocence on that charge. The peripheral issue, which I am having a hard time believing that some people want to ignore, is that sex occurred between a 17 yo and a 13 yo. That is a crime and inexcusable on the 17 yo's part, whether it consensual or not. I'm not too keen on prosecuting where there is minimal age difference and it is consensual, but a 4 year stretch when one of the pair is 13 is a bit beyond reasonable.

I would just say
I would just say 06/14/12 - 01:34 pm
I shall pray for both

I shall pray for both individuals here, neither could be in a good place right now. Hope it all works out.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/14/12 - 01:36 pm
I sure agree with that

I sure agree with that itsanotherday...if this young man did do this to a 13 year old then he is wrong, 17 year old boys should not be thinking about 13 year old girls. If he forces himself on any one no matter the age he is wrong and needs serious help! There was a case not to far back if you remember where the boy was 18 and the girl was 16 and he was arrested because they had consensual sex, they were boy friend and girl friend, I personally did not agree with that arrest. At 16 a year knows what she is doing and I beleive they were both still in highschool. This girl in question is only 13 and 3 years makes a big difference in a girls life. Sadly, we will all probably hear alot more from this case before long.