Homeless man charged in 15th homicide of 2012

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:37 AM
Last updated 7:28 PM

A 44-year-old homeless man was charged Tuesday in Augusta’s 15th homicide of the year.

Bryant Willerson  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Bryant Willerson

Police said Bryant Keith Willerson fatally beat another homeless man, William McLain, 63, at the old Days Inn property at 444 Broad Street.

Willerson and McLain began to argue over money, and Willerson grabbed a floor lamp and hit the older man in the back and head, Richmond County sheriff’s investigator Lt. Blaise Dresser said.

Dresser said police were called to the property in the 400 block of Broad Street shortly after 2 a.m., and they found McClain’s body.

Although the former Days Inn is no longer open, police said they suspect McLain “squatted” on the property and Willerson might have, too.

Willerson has been arrested several times on obstruction and other charges in Richmond and Aiken counties.

He was booked into the Richmond County Jail on a murder charge.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/12/12 - 06:50 am
CBD?

Was this in the CBD?

double_standard
double_standard 06/12/12 - 09:05 am
code words

Funny how no one refers to this guy as a thug.

bentman
bentman 06/12/12 - 09:43 am
Scum of the earth.

Scum of the earth.

grinder48
2039
grinder48 06/12/12 - 09:58 am
Augusta really needs to get

Augusta really needs to get rid of this crxp from downtown if they EVER want to revitialize. Revitialization just ain't gonna happen as long as these kinds of people wander the streets, live in hotels, etc. And I don't mean to condem the people who live in Richmond Summit because of this slimeball but the Richmond Summit needs to go too. For the most part, only young people will go downtown. Older people - with monety to spend - are afraid and intimidated.

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 06/12/12 - 10:04 am
well if the victim is

well if the victim is black...everyone get your "hoodies" ready for the march and chants of "racism" or "no Justice, no peace"...look up in the sky its a bird, its a plane, it will be the "justice bruthas" al and jessie...well on second thought don't think so, this guy looks like no money can be made off of him so the "justice bruthas" and all the rest of the "racism, blame the white man for all the ills in the black community" crowd will pass this one by

corgimom
corgimom 06/12/12 - 10:05 am
He was arrested last Nov. in

He was arrested last Nov. in Aiken County for inhaling aromatic hydrocarbon. Another drug addict.

But I don't have a problem calling him a thug.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/12/12 - 10:10 am
Thug?

Not many 44-year-olds get that particular label, although he appears every bit the horrible, violent loser that would inspire one to pin it on him.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 06/12/12 - 10:25 am
Riff raff...

Fightin' over drug money, probably.....either for buying same or collected from drug deals. Contractors don't usually kill each other over the proceeds of a landscaping project.

Drive past this place frequently around 8.30 - 9.00 pm. Often see hookers and other "ne'er do wells" outside on the sidewalk as I pass by.

SPARKSTER83
SPARKSTER83 06/12/12 - 11:13 am
WE ARE REALLY IN THE END

WE ARE REALLY IN THE END TIMES,PEOPLE ARE CRAZY,THE WORLD IS CRAZY, AND THE PEOPLE YOU THOUGHT WERE NORMAL ARE TURNING OUT TO BE CRAZY!!!!!! ALL I CAN SAY IS PRAY PRAY PRAY.

TDBEEZ
TDBEEZ 06/12/12 - 11:53 am
i just took Mr. McClain to

i just took Mr. McClain to jail for a probation violation last Friday or Saturday. Decent enough guy...had mental issues. nothing too serious, but kept him from functioning in society on a day to day basis. rip

grinder48
2039
grinder48 06/12/12 - 12:00 pm
Get Rid of the Place

There needs to be an ordinance requiring
owners of properties like the old Days Inn at 444 Broad to either bring them up to and maintain high standards or demolish them. This place is a real detriment to downtown Augusta.

CommanderBacon
CommanderBacon 06/17/12 - 09:06 am
My Father

This is my father. My name is Timothy McClain and I am his only son. It is true that he did have a few mental issues, but he did not deserve to leave this world the way he did. Bryant Willerson does not deserve the privilege of Life w/o parole, because that would give him a permanent roof over his head and three square meals a day, all at the taxpayer's expense. I think he deserves a harsher punishment. My father was not a violent man, unless provoked.

KSL
KSL 06/12/12 - 08:13 pm
Sorry for your loss.

Sorry for your loss.

jayannjackson
jayannjackson 06/13/12 - 12:14 am
I pray peace for you,

I pray peace for you, Timothy, as you grieve the loss of your father. I make NO excuse or defend the man "accused" of this horrific crime, I only offer there, but for the grace of God go I. I am heartbroken to imagine being hopeless, homeless, and seemingly with such an addiction that has taken control of my mind. May your father rest in peace ... I am confident justice will prevail in the hands of the Lord.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/13/12 - 06:27 am
Would 444 Broad Street be in

Would 444 Broad Street be in the CBD? This can't be....Countyman says that the CBD is safer than anywhere.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 06/13/12 - 07:00 am
CBD

The boundary of the CBD changes to suit Countyman's vision. In light of this crime at 444 Broad, Countyman now decrees that the CBD begins at 5th street and runs to 15th street.

Voilá! The crime was not in CBD!

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/13/12 - 09:33 am
LL…touché, touché indeed!

LL…touché, touché indeed!

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/13/12 - 10:32 pm
Funny

I got a thumbs down just for asking a question lol

Robert martin
Robert martin 06/14/12 - 04:55 pm
homcide

Crazy people in this world

CommanderBacon
CommanderBacon 06/17/12 - 08:59 am
Father's Day

This Father's day is really rough for me. It's not only the fact that he is gone, but the way he was taken from me that is most difficult to deal with. I admit my relationship with him wasn't great in the last year, but now I don't even have a chance to reconcile that.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen