Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Athens police investigating toothpick heist

Athens-Clarke police are trying to track down thieves who stole nearly 400,000 toothpicks from a local toothpick manufacturer.

Six cases of toothpicks went missing from Armond’s Manufacturing Company Inc., 95 Trade St., about two weeks ago, and another seven cases disappeared last weekend, according to police.

Each case contained 288 packages of 100 toothpicks, which brings the total number of purloined picks to 374,400.

The plastic toothpicks have a total value of $2,808, police said.

No signs of forced entry were found after either burglary, police said, and the owner believes the toothpick heist either was an inside job or a former employee with a key, police said.

Two current employees told the owner they were at the J&J Flea Market on Commerce Road on Saturday when they saw a man walking around selling containers of Armond’s green MicroPicks, according to police. The employees could only describe the toothpick hawker as a Hispanic man, police said, and the business owner told officers that the man at the flea market may have gotten the contraband from current or former employees.

In addition to the MicroPicks, the thieves also stole cases of white ProPicks, police said.

Comments (7)

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 05:11 pm

Good grief. I hope he is

Good grief. I hope he is picked up soon.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/09/12 - 05:25 pm

You could make a lot of

You could make a lot of toothpick bridges. Y'all never did that in school?

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 07:13 pm

NO. Does that work on hand to

NO. Does that work on hand to eye coordination?

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 07:29 pm

My parents complained that I

My parents complained that I walked 3 or 4 steps at 8 months and then I sat down and crawled for the next 3 or 4 months. Well, I wasn't stupid. That walking was hard work. Seriously, both of my sons are absolutely brilliant: math, liberal arts, business, people skills, leadership. Both crawled until they were 14 months old.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/09/12 - 08:10 pm

Just think, If you bought

Just think, If you bought some, you could be charged with receiving stolen property.

KSL
KSL 06/09/12 - 08:45 pm

Who would ever think they

Who would ever think they might be accused of buying a box of tooth picks as being a major crime?

KSL
KSL 06/10/12 - 07:24 am

Obviously this has so far

Obviously this has so far been a very slow and boring weekend.

I got a thumbs down for the previous comment. Nooo, actually I got a thumbs down because that particular poster does not like me or anything I post.

Pedestrian killed on Mike Padgett Highway

Around 8:15 p.m., Richmond County deputies responded to calls of a traffic accident in the 3100 block of Mike Padgett Highway and the intersection of Payton Drive. The victim, who has not been ...