Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Campaign sign used as weapon in fight

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:34 PM
Last updated 7:21 PM

Police were called to a fight between two women after one began hitting the other with a “Vote for Roundtree” campaign sign Thursday evening.

According to an incident report, Latricia Turner, 34, and Deidre Briscoe, 32, were arguing on Fairington Drive around 10 p.m. when Briscoe began hitting Turner. She retaliated by taking off her shoe and hitting Briscoe in the head.

Police said Briscoe then grabbed a “Vote for Roundtree” sign and began hitting Turner in the head and back with it.

Turner told officers the fight started because she refused to date Briscoe and wanted to go hang out with her friends.

countyman
19731
countyman 06/08/12 - 12:55 pm
People get into fights every

People get into fights every single day of the week in the US.. I'm sure the name of the candidate had nothing to do with the article..

The Chronicle needs to be careful during this process, because Peebles may not actually win.. Several of his signs can be seen in West Augusta along Washington rd, but not in other parts of the county... If Roundtree can energize the population of South Augusta, and East Augusta he could win.. The population of South Augusta is larger than West Augusta... The only problem West Augusta is richer, and those people are usually more consistent in terms of voting..

HighSociety
HighSociety 06/08/12 - 01:11 pm
Countyman, I dont think the

Countyman, I dont think the lady using a certain candidate's sign reflects negative on the candidate himself. The AC is just reporting what happened which seems to have a bit of humor to it. I would disagree with your statement on Peebles only having signs in West Augusta. Some of the ones that he has in east Augusta have been set on fire. I would agree that it shouldn't be assumed that Peebles is going to win.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/08/12 - 01:56 pm
Wonder If?

Wonder if they were arguing over whether Roundtree was qualified to be Sheriff?

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/08/12 - 01:59 pm
Is this a sign (no pun intended)

In my neigborhood all the Roundtree signs seem to be in the yards that are growing dandelions.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/08/12 - 02:02 pm
Are they both women?

"a fight between two women," but "Turner told officers the fight started because she refused to date Briscoe."

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/08/12 - 02:39 pm
That's funny No Longer

That's funny No Longer because as I commute around Augusta it seems all the Peebles signs are on vacant lots. I wonder if the property owners know.

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/08/12 - 02:41 pm
And this entire article COULD

And this entire article COULD have been written without ever divulging which candidates name was on the sign. Another free shot at Roundtree.

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/08/12 - 02:49 pm
So is this considered

So is this considered "community policing"? Doesn't say if either was arrested, so we don't know if such hardened criminals are off the street or not... heh

bdouglas
bdouglas 06/08/12 - 02:51 pm
@Khan: I can't stand when

@Khan: I can't stand when candidates use private property for their signage without asking! Many do this at subdivision entrances thinking since no one lives on that part that they can put up whatever they want. Bill Clyburn once had signs at the entrance to mine and I emailed his office asking for them to be removed. He emailed back personally blaming it on an intern and said they'd be removed the next day. They weren't...3 days later they still weren't. So I removed them myself and left them lying in the ditch for when they decided to come pick them up.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/08/12 - 03:50 pm
Private or public property?

In my neigborhood the property owner does not own all the way to the street - from the road back about 9 feet belongs to the county. What does the law say about placing signs on public property and what does the law say about removing signs from public property?

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/08/12 - 04:12 pm
A nine foot easement? That

A nine foot easement? That doesn't sound quite right. And if it is public property I wonder if that is considered an encroachment if a candidate uses it for private gain? I can't encroach on property where there is a utility easement so I would think the same standards apply, wouldn't you?

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/08/12 - 04:19 pm
Subdivision entrances where

Subdivision entrances where there is a homeowners association is typically owned by the association as common ground ; hence paying for maintenance and upkeep as part of your annual fees. That should be off limits to public use for signage (outside of yard sale signs that are to be immediately removed) . We don't even allow for sale signs.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/08/12 - 04:24 pm
B4real said

I agree....just another shot.....we know who won't get trashed on here --don't we...:)

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/08/12 - 04:30 pm
Easement - NOT

Khan, IT IS NOT an easement. In fact there is no easement in the front of the property, the property owner just doesn't own it. If you go to the GIS site http://mapweb.augustaga.gov/augusta/ and do a 'parcel search' on '1070820000' you will see what I mean.

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/08/12 - 04:36 pm
I will have to wait until I

I will have to wait until I am not on a phone. Cannot see it currently.

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/08/12 - 04:38 pm
Also, Khan....

A Home Owners Association (HOA) is mandatory for all the property owners who automatically become members no matter if they want to be a member or not. They are bound by the covenants, are legally required to pay dues/fees, and a lien can be placed against their property if they do not pay them.

On the other hand a Neighborhood Association (NA) is purely voluntary and if a property owner does not sign up to become a member there is nothing that can be done about it and the association has no legal power to enforce anything.

Guess which type does not have many members and is not effective and you will know what type exists in my neighborhood and other older Southside sub-divisions!

No_Longer_Amazed
No_Longer_Amazed 06/08/12 - 04:53 pm
Code Enforcement.....

The only way to get anything done is through "Augusta Cares" and that is a bigger misnomer than "military intelligence" !!!!

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/08/12 - 05:10 pm
Yep. Which is why more people

Yep. Which is why more people move from RC to CC and less of which has to do with the RC school system. You weigh your options. Higher mortgage for 30 years or private school for the duration your kids are in school. Ironically you would come out cheaper paying for private school than the thirty year mortgage. But the safety of your family & aesthetics become the REAL issue in making that CC border jump. Sorry to be off subject.

Jake
Jake 06/08/12 - 05:18 pm
Passionate

I like to read articles about passion, politics, pummeling and pumps.

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/08/12 - 05:35 pm
I think the next time someone

I think the next time someone [filtered word] me off I won't use one of those small political yard signs but I will grab one of those BIG political signs on the vacant lots in RC and beat the crap out of someone ... how about that? May need one for the next Open Forum! Lol

iLove
iLove 06/08/12 - 05:46 pm
What about the youth?

Roundtree seems to be the only one concerned with the local youth...inside of Urban Pro Weekly, there is an article about the topic.

Another cheap shot @ Roundtree...i agree..

Even in the M. S. this week, Austin seems to be very concerned about Mr. Roundtree....as with many other citizens of this community.

Gage Creed
Gage Creed 06/08/12 - 07:41 pm
Did Fairington get annexed

Did Fairington get annexed into the CBD?

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/08/12 - 08:18 pm
Really???????

"A majority african american community should have MORE African American leaders than we have."

Why are AA interests any different than all others? Geez man, why don't you get your head out of the 60's?
I thought we were to the point we voted for the person who best represented our political views, not the color of our skin or the configuration of our reproductive organs.

Right off the bat I can tell you two AA men I would vote for in a skinny minute for RC sheriff if 1) They lived here and were running, and 2) I had a vote in RC.

I really, really, do not care about someone's complexion, I care about leadership and effectiveness. You should too.

spurrierhater
spurrierhater 06/08/12 - 08:27 pm
Classic

I was excited to read the comments until you dorks started in on easements. The campaign sign's name had everything to do w/ the fight!! Would you ever read an article that had Patricia & Buffie on Sussex Drive fighting w/ a Peebles sign?? Trash sells & that's what they are. I'm surprised a wine bottle wasn't the weapon!

Khan'tB4Real
Khan'tB4Real 06/08/12 - 09:05 pm
spurrier hater ...

Really? Explain to me in a rational sentence what the NAME on the sign had to do with the article. Were they fighting over Roundtree? Was Roundtree wearing the high heels involved in the argument? Is Roundtree their babydaddy? No! It could have been a damn Bob Hale "call me, call me quick" real estate sign for all it had to do with this story. But since signage WAS mentioned we debated the legality of placement of signs throughout the community.

allhans
allhans 06/09/12 - 12:05 am
"I wonder if the property owners know."

Khan'tB....If they don't, they will I would bet.
Most candidates have friends and get permission, some others use utility poles. - ;)

janderson1945
janderson1945 06/09/12 - 01:14 am
Campaign Signs

The candidates name shouldn’t have anything to do with this article. All candidates have crazy people that support them for various reasons. After much deliberation and a review of the candidates at 2 forums, we decided to fully back Scott Peebles as he is the best choice once you are an informed voter. Meeting with Peebles tonight at an event, I spoke with him about his campaign signs and some of the questions I have seen on here more than once to make sure he was following the rules. He said that only large signs have been placed out by his sign committee thus far and that every single one of the large 400 plus signs all over the county has been erected upon request by verified property owners. He went so far as to bring Matt over, his sign chairperson and showed me their list which has locations, names and phone numbers of property & business owners. I then asked about empty lots & county easements to which he also showed me the contact information and again verified that all signs have been placed upon request. Matt did elaborate that a couple of signs have been placed in error due to an address issue or an exact determination as to where the county easement begins but it has only happened a couple of times and was immediately corrected the very same day. He said when he took on this responsibility with the other volunteers, it was made extremely clear to him that signs would only go on pre-approved locations, all laws would be followed and no other candidate’s signs were to be touched. He went on to say if I saw a sign in error or knew of an issue to let them know by going to the Peebles website and it would be corrected. The organization and professionalism presented by each of the persons I spoke with, including Mr. Peebles was superior and extremely detail oriented. He will make a great Sheriff.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/09/12 - 06:22 am
Copenhaver for Mayor Sign

I have an idea when they drew up the plans to scam the public for $100 million for the TEE Center they drew them up on the back of an old Copenhaver for Mayor sign.

Talk about a journalistic cheap shot.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/09/12 - 06:48 am
Whose Signs Prevalent Around Clubs?

We could take noting this signs thing to a whole other level. Whose campaign signs for Sheriff are prevalent around the strip and night clubs? Must have been lots of fights near those signs.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/09/12 - 06:49 am
The officer wrote that in the

The officer wrote that in the report? Are you telling me the arresting officer actually wrote whose campaign sign it was in his report?