Husband charged in offer to kill wife

Man said he would kill wife, police say

Monday, June 4, 2012 1:35 PM
Last updated 8:14 PM

Broomhall
Broomhall

A Hephzibah man is in the Richmond County jail after his wife set up a fake e-mail address pretending to be his lover and learned he was willing to kill her, police say.

According to a sheriff’s office incident report, the 22-year-old woman set up an e-mail address last week pretending to be an Oklahoma woman she suspected of having an affair with her husband. On Sunday, she began communicating with her husband, 23-year-old Joshua Edward Broomhall, while he was at his Fort Gordon work computer.

In the conversation, police say, Broomhall said, “We could kill her and run away together. I don’t know how long you would have to wait. Do you think I am worth it?”

The wife notified authorities after the conversation.

Broomhall was booked into the jail later Sunday on charges of terroristic threats and acts.

Investigators did not have details on Broomhall’s job at Fort Gordon.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/04/12 - 01:04 pm
Just how dumb can one be?

Just how dumb can one be?

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/04/12 - 03:37 pm
I mean!

Even if he hadn't been using a computer that absolutely is being monitored, how dumb could he be!

She's lucky to be shed of this one, and it makes you wonder what she saw in him to begin with.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/04/12 - 04:18 pm
Same guy, different name

Yes, Fiat, but the sad thing is, she will likely pick another just like him with a different name unless she finds a healthy source of counseling and is open to learning something.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 06/04/12 - 05:53 pm
Yup

You're probably right, Willow.

Jake
Jake 06/04/12 - 06:11 pm
My dearest

I guess this is something a box of candy and flowers will not fix. Why is divorce not an option for some people?

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/04/12 - 06:18 pm
Agree with you on this one

Agree with you on this one Jake. If the woman suspected him of cheating and I would asssume there were marital problems, why not just file for divorce and be rid of the jerk. Don't agree with divorce but in some cases, (hopefully no children involved), it's best to just move on. Can he claim entrapment (besides being stupid) and now this 23 year old will have a record and what has she gained by it all.....beside revenge. Sad really.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/04/12 - 09:14 pm
I'm not so sure about the

I'm not so sure about the whole story here. Just as it is with a lot of posts, without context and voice inflection; it is easy to interpret the written word the wrong way. What if he typed that "tongue in cheek"? I once said to a friend, in front of a attractive girl I worked with; that she (the attractive girl) was the only woman I knew I would divorce my wife for. Of course it was just flattery for her, I had no real interest in her and would not have given a thought to divorcing my wife. (good thing too! She was in the news a while back for killing her husband :( . Shot him, bludgeoned him, and stabbed him multiple times...)

Anyway, I would like to know how they determined it was a serious statement.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/04/12 - 09:55 pm
Oh Gawidah, here the opening

Oh Gawidah, here the opening for Austin and his fake names campaign.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/04/12 - 10:03 pm
IAD, he probably asked for it

IAD, he probably asked for it :)

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/04/12 - 10:05 pm
Good one, RA.

Good one, RA.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/04/12 - 10:27 pm
I thought so too,

I thought so too, Willow.

Mint chocolate chip and coffee almond fudge for my late night tonite. Good stuff.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/04/12 - 10:47 pm
I just gained a pound reading

I just gained a pound reading that RA. It was FF Greek yogurt for me.

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 06/04/12 - 11:41 pm
Job opening at Ft Gordon.

Job opening at Ft Gordon.

CABoatright
CABoatright 06/05/12 - 06:16 am
Target practice...

Target practice...

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/05/12 - 06:59 am
I agree with itsanotherday on this one.....

According to the article it doesn't sound as if he put a plan into motion. I don't know, I just think he is a dumb guy who was trying to get a reaction from a woman. The wife should have already left him if she thought he was cheating. This may be viewed as a scorned wife trying to get back at a cheating husband.

meginlea
meginlea 06/05/12 - 07:45 am
?????????????

Why is everyone jumping on this woman's case? WHO KNOWS the details of why she didn't just 'quietly divorce' him??? WE DON'T. Maybe he wouldn't allow it...maybe he'd made threats to her....maybe she was TRYING to save her life through this whole thing?!?!?! I mean, it just seems strange that HE was the jerk plotting to kill his wife and run away with a mistress and then the wife is getting bullied in this comment thread. What in the WORLD!!!!!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/05/12 - 08:12 am
Meg, you say he was plotting

Meg, you say he was plotting to kill her. We don't know that is in fact what he was doing, or just blowing smoke do we? If there are other facts to support that we are not privy to, then by all means put him under the jailhouse; but as it stands, the whole story bears some scrutiny.

iLove
iLove 06/05/12 - 08:21 am
A woman scorned

A woman scorned

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/05/12 - 08:28 am
megainlea, no we don't know

megainlea, no we don't know the details and why she didn't just "quietly divorce him", that's why the question was brought up. No one is jumping on this wife, just asking some questions as to why things occurred the way they did. I think everyone agrees this 23 year old young man was less than intelligent. What I find sad is that if this was just some guy shooting the BS to sound big or romantic to "the other woman", then this wife has just created a situation that this young man will have to fight the rest of his life. Revenge is an ugly thing and nothing really good comes from it. Either you communicate and work out the problem or one of you pack your bags and move on. If that isn't the case and this woman really felt her life was in danger, then she did the right thing.

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/05/12 - 09:20 am
Megan don't you know that the

Megan don't you know that the woman is ALWAYS to blame. Maybe she wasn't giving him enough love, attention, cooking enough meals at home, or whatever else his ego needed. I see these kinds of stories all the time on those Dateline shows. Many of the wives or husbands never saw it coming - them being murdered that is. But I am sure many of them knew about the "other" woman or man. The problem is men is men and some women have been using those exuses for years - I wasn't loved like I wanted to be, not enough action in the bedroom, or whatever other excuse they can come up with. The real problem though is not being man or woman enough to say "hey, I want to be single". A lot easier than going to prison.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 06/05/12 - 10:45 am
Bravado and big talk.

This guy walks. He's charged with making terroristic threats and acts but this was pure bravado and a good defense attorney should cut this case to ribbons as nobody was actually threatened, as far as I can see. Sure his wife got a shock but that was because she was posing as another person. He didn't threaten her directly, there is absolutely no evidence of any plot (take note meginlea) and that is why he is not charged with conspiracy to commit murder.

If this is "terrorism", then I'm a terrorist too and so is anyone who's said threatening things about their spouse to a third party in the heat of the moment, such as......."sometimes I could kill that woman".

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/05/12 - 12:01 pm
He was probably military

He was probably military "intelligence". That face has stupid written all over it.

crackertroy
crackertroy 06/05/12 - 12:02 pm
Not to mention evil

Not to mention evil

Cadence
Cadence 06/05/12 - 01:05 pm
Gut reactions

What some call flattery others call sexual harassment by a co-worker. A married co-worker. Please don't do that, guys. And it looks like if this lady had filed for divorce she may not have gotten out of the marriage alive. She trusted her instincts and may have saved her own life.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/05/12 - 01:45 pm
Cadence, if you are

Cadence, if you are referencing my post, it was something that occurred in 1975; between me and a girl I was friends with, and had dated before I married. She was single. I know the difference between friendly teasing and unwelcome harassment.....

tanbaby
tanbaby 06/05/12 - 05:20 pm
to itsanotherday1, what one

to itsanotherday1, what one sees as "friendly teasing" might not be what the person on the receiving end of said "friendly teasing" sees....just don't do it....there can be some ugly repercussions from it....

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/05/12 - 11:20 pm
Tanbaby, I retired as a

Tanbaby, I retired as a manager, with more than a plenty of education in HR. I had to be recertified on "workplace harassment" every two years (among many other PC things). In the instance I referenced, it was in no way harassment. For that matter, she recruited me for a job at the place she went to after leaving where we worked together. We were friends.

Christmas Eve storm possible

ATLANTA - Forecasters say strong storms, some with the potential for isolated tornadoes, are possible over large parts of Georgia on Christmas Eve.