Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Woman loses $200 in scheme

Sunday, June 3, 2012 9:27 PM
Last updated 9:37 PM

NORTH AUGUSTA - A woman is out $200 after a man convinced her he was visiting from another country and needed her to hold onto his money while he ran to Augusta.

Around 9 p.m. Saturday, a 30-year-old woman went to North Augusta Public Safety to file a report of a robbery. She told officers around 3 p.m. two people approached her in Walmart and told her one of them had just arrived from another country and had been robbed in Augusta, a police report said.

He told her he had to go back to Augusta to get his passport but did not want to take the $3,200 he had on him in case he got robbed again. He said if she protected his money for him, he would double the money in her bank account.

The report said she went to the ATM and took out $200, which he added to the existing money, and asked her to keep it safe by putting it inside her pants. When she put it in her pocket, the man took the money back and demonstrated how to hide it, wrapping it in a “doo rag” and putting it in his own pants, down by his crotch. Then he retrieved it, and gave it to her.

Some time passed and the woman said when the man did not return, she realized he had switched the doo rags and the one she had was full of strips of newspaper.

North Augusta public safety officers said they will attempt to identify the flimflam thief through Walmart security cameras, the report said.

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/03/12 - 09:48 pm
Are people really this dumb?

Are people really this dumb? I mean in today's time when we know the world is ripe with rip off artist who would ever fall for this stuff???

raul
raul 06/04/12 - 08:33 am
@scoobynew. You answered your

@scoobynew. You answered your own question. Yes, they are.

raul
raul 06/03/12 - 10:46 pm
I wonder if the thieves were

I wonder if the thieves were from Nigeria?

JRC2024
JRC2024 06/03/12 - 10:46 pm
All I can say is my my.

All I can say is my my.

Jake
Jake 06/03/12 - 10:48 pm
Hidden in the cracks

I do not trust crotch money given to me by anyone. Of course some crotches look better than others but it is best to be safe and stay away from crotch money as you do not know where it has been. That being said, this woman was foolish but a very trusting soul. God bless her heart.

dichotomy
dichotomy 06/03/12 - 10:56 pm
"I wonder if the thieves were

"I wonder if the thieves were from Nigeria?"

Yes but they had a Hawaii birth certificate.

jbenny2010
jbenny2010 06/03/12 - 11:18 pm
@ Jake - Bwahahaha! I don't

@ Jake - Bwahahaha! I don't trust crotch money either! Just wow. . .

Preacherman64
Preacherman64 06/03/12 - 11:23 pm
Truely Amazing

There is a proverb in the Bible that says, "Wealth hastily gotten will dwindle, but those who gather little by little will increase it." Proverbs 13:11. Anyone trying to give you money for something like that is just waiting to take advantage of you. Apparently there are just a lot of gullible people out there.

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 06/03/12 - 11:42 pm
P.T. Barnum was right...

P.T. Barnum was right...

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/04/12 - 12:19 am
@ Jake. Trusting? NO!!

@ Jake. Trusting? NO!! Gullible and greedy? Yes. I can't find it in my heart to feel sorry for people who fall for these scams.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 06/04/12 - 12:22 am
Old saying

"Stupidity has its own rewards."

Georgialina
Georgialina 06/04/12 - 01:03 am
Greed

I am with "itsanotherday", I can not find any sympathy for these GREEDY people. This woman only fell for this obvious scam because she was "going to double the money in her bank account" If she was not out to get something that she was not entitled to then she would not have lost her $200. She should be happy it was only $200 and not a lot more. This scam has been reported for YEARS, why do people continue that "that won't happen to me?"

retrostu
retrostu 06/04/12 - 02:36 am
Very witty dichotomy.

Very witty dichotomy.

BlackJack7
BlackJack7 06/04/12 - 05:43 am
Ye Olde "PIGEON DROP"

Ye Olde "PIGEON DROP" scheme....still alive and well after all of these years. She's only 30 (the scheme is much much older than she) so I somewhat give her the benefit of the doubt. But nevertheless, she let her emotions rather than reason get in the way. If it sounds too good to be true (promises to double somebody's money just for holding theirs???)then it is! If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....then guess what....
;-)

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/04/12 - 06:17 am
Scam

I would be too embarrassed to report this...stupid is as stupid does.

scoobynews
scoobynews 06/04/12 - 07:23 am
I remember being approached

I remember being approached in the parking lot once by someone needing "gas money". I thought if you knew you didn't have enough money for gas what the heck were you doing at Walmart??? I basically said in a polite way "get lost".

WAG
WAG 06/04/12 - 07:23 am
All i can say is did she fall

All i can say is did she fall off the turnip
truck....OMG..How stupid! Would never report this. Would be too embarrassed! Does she always stop and talk to strangers??? Lucky wprse did not happen....God bless her!

curly123053
curly123053 06/04/12 - 07:47 am
She learned her lesson I

She learned her lesson I hope. It's sad that people are so easily scammed.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/04/12 - 08:37 am
Yuck!

This is disturbing on so many levels. If she found nothing else alarming, the crotch thing should have gotten her. My compassion for her goes to her lack of processing skills, rather than the consequences.

happychimer
happychimer 06/04/12 - 10:05 am
My husband talks with

My husband talks with everybody. He says strangers are just people he has not met yet. He is too smart to get scammed.I have had people ask me for gas money, and I just tell them I don't have any. Last week a woman came out of nowhere in Big Lots parking lot, and said she needed gas to get home. because she is diabetic, and her sugar was dropping. I undersyand about diabetes. I gave her 1/2 banana and a piece of hard candy.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/04/12 - 10:50 am
Good Samaritan, I guess she

Good Samaritan, I guess she didn't know she was diabetic.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/04/12 - 11:33 am
Nah, CG, just a Republican in

Nah, CG, just a Republican in the making.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 06/04/12 - 11:46 am
RA

You sure are wrong on that one.

draksig
draksig 06/04/12 - 12:09 pm
I've lost count of the number

I've lost count of the number of times people have approached me in a parking lot asking for gas money to get home. Most of them had followed me into the parking lot in their own car and when I tell them I have no money, they drive off looking for someone else.

allhans
allhans 06/04/12 - 12:33 pm
A friend of mine was

A friend of mine was approached at a convenience store and asked for gas money, she gave her $5.00.
Later in the day she and her husband went out to eat and the same woman came up and tapped on the car window asking for gas money....I have to bleep what my friend said to the woman.

happychimer
happychimer 06/04/12 - 12:33 pm
I did not know if the woman

I did not know if the woman was diabetic or not. I did not give her money. I always has a snack with me, and I gave her the snack. she took it, so maybe I helped. I don't know.I think it was a scam and I did not fall for it.

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 06/04/12 - 01:15 pm
I tell ya what

If I was that lady, you couldn't have offered to double the money in my account to get me to file that police report. I'd just let that $200 go!

happychimer
happychimer 06/04/12 - 01:31 pm
DMPerry I would have reported

DMPerry I would have reported it so that others would know about the scam, and it might help others not to be scammed.

debbiep38
debbiep38 06/04/12 - 01:48 pm
RA, Did you forget to take

RA, Did you forget to take your republicaphobe medication this morning?

DMPerryJr
DMPerryJr 06/04/12 - 02:06 pm
Chimer

You are a good citizen. I would never be able to stand the embarrassment.

Charges for sex offender

A man convicted of sex charges in Columbia County, who then went to prison for child molestation in south Georgia is back behind bars.