Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Joe Neal Jr. trial scheduled Monday

The trial of an Augusta lawyer accused of rape and providing alcohol to a person under the age of 21 is expected to begin Monday.

Court records show that witnesses have been subpoeaned for in the case of Joe Neal Jr., who requested a speedy trial upon his indictment March 6.

Investigators said Neal and his ex-wife, Caroline Neal, plied an 18-year-old girl with marijuana and alcohol Dec. 16 before attempting to have sex with her at their home on Kings Way. Caroline Neal faces the same charges. Both are free on bond.

A clerk for Superior Court Judge James Blanchard confirmed today that the trial is expected to go forward Monday. Neal’s attorney, Sarah Blake, could not be immediately reached for comment.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/01/12 - 09:15 am
They need to post the photo

They need to post the photo of Neal wearing the Ninja costume. One look at that and all doubt leaves.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/12 - 09:18 am
Lawyers

It is so hard to pin a lawyer down....they know the tricks don't they!!
John Edwards just showed us that....even though I think ole John has been punished enough already...

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/01/12 - 09:31 am
Edwards is as guilty as OJ,

Edwards is as guilty as OJ, but I will say if misuse of campaign finances can land you in jail, we wouldn't have any office holders in the area not behind bars.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/12 - 09:58 am
J Edwards

At least J Edwards didn't kill anybody.......if every man having an affair/baby were put in jail........who would be working to pay our soc sec & retiremet plans??

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 06/01/12 - 10:16 am
I would say Elizabeth would

I would say Elizabeth would disagree with that. The worst thing for a cancer patient to have to endure is stress and lack of hope. I believe she would say her narcissus husband provided both for her.

billcass
billcass 06/01/12 - 11:10 am
9 Jurors disagreed with you

So 9 jurors sit through weeks of testimony and deliberate for 8 days and acquit on one charge and deadlock on the remaining charges, but people who heard none of the evidence and got all their information from CNN or Fox know he is guilty? Wow.

allhans
allhans 06/01/12 - 11:47 am
I don't think there is any

I don't think there is any question of guilt but I am glad its over...
If I had been on the jury I probably would have done the same as this bunch.
Edwards is a jerk but I doubt that prison is the answer.
t.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/01/12 - 12:27 pm
I'd just like to mess up

I'd just like to mess up Edwards' hair if nothing else.

But seriously, the public often expresses opinions of guilt or innocence. We're not officers of the court.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/12 - 12:29 pm
A jerk

I think we can all agree Edwards was a jerk to his wife....but again I say.....we don't jail men for being a jerk...do we...or for having affairs...
Let us not forget Ms Reille played a big part in what happened....you can't tell me she didn't want to get PREGNANT....& as far as that goies....how many innocents do we have around us....even on HERE!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/12 - 12:31 pm
Mess with hair

Ya better leave that hair alone....it might be a wigggggg! :):)

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 06/01/12 - 01:10 pm
Edwards at least tried to

Edwards at least tried to play football at Clemson. There is a dispute about what he actually did at Clemson, but, as I said, he tried. So I'll give him a break. He was a poor mill worker's son who made it big and the fame may have been more than he could handle.

raul
raul 06/01/12 - 03:03 pm
How did this thread go from

How did this thread go from Joe Neal to John Edwards? Oh, right. They are both lawyers. Heh.

SON of Scoob
SON of Scoob 06/01/12 - 04:21 pm
The drift of the comments is

The drift of the comments is called AADD. Happens just about every time with the same cast of characters.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/12 - 05:35 pm
Son scoob

Thanks son......the same cast uuummm.....it happens!

Jake
Jake 06/01/12 - 07:30 pm
Party time

I guess the Neal's had a more interesting or provocative time during the Christmas holidays than we had. All we did was go to Christmas concerts where our kids were playing instruments, go to a party at work and buy gifts for our family and friends. I need to get out more often.

boodroe
1962
boodroe 06/02/12 - 07:45 am
Joe Neal

This story is about Joe Neal's trial why all the comments about John Edwards did I miss read the story. Joe is an arrogant self serving lawyer so maybe they are related

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 06/02/12 - 06:02 pm
He said, she said....

He says it was consensual, she says it wasn't but was intoxicated at the time. A defense attorney will cast doubt on her alcohol-clouded memory of events and rip her to shreds . No evidence of force or coercion. Neal walks on the rape charge.

A modest fine and probation for supplying booze.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/03/12 - 06:42 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 06/03/12 - 06:45 am
The right 3 people

It is obvious that it is very hard to find the right 3 people for this adventure.......very few have found the "right" bunch...:)

Turkeys get taste of own medicine

I got up and out of my sickbed so I could write this column because it’s time for the annual Turkey of the Year awards, the highlight of the holiday season.