North Augusta man paid for Craigslist item with counterfeit bills

NORTH AUGUSTA -- A North Augusta man notified authorities Wednesday after he discovered he had been paid for a Craigslist item with counterfeit money.

According to an incident report, the 20-year-old met another man at Publix around 4 p.m. to sell an iPad listed on Craigslist. The buyer handed over $400 in cash and left with the merchandise.

Several hours later the seller was looking at the stack of $20 bills and noticed they felt strange. After further examination, the victim discovered 13 of the bills had the same serial numbers. Other bills also had repeated serial numbers.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 05/31/12 - 08:33 am
I wouldn't look too hard at

I wouldn't look too hard at money I had received. If it was good enough for me, it's good enough for Walmart or something.

JRC2024
JRC2024 05/31/12 - 08:46 am
John, you would have to prove

John, you would have to prove you did not make it and could be in alot of trouble for using it. Take certified cashiers checks only from buyers.

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/31/12 - 08:51 am
@JohnBrownAug: Good enough

@JohnBrownAug: Good enough for you to go to jail, too. You present it as real, you go to jail regardless of where it came from.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 05/31/12 - 09:04 am
Yeah, I guess y'all are

Yeah, I guess y'all are right. Just like that old woman in North Augusta who got arrested after just leaving the bank with the cash that turned out to be counterfeit. The buck has to stop somewhere. But it seems many, including banks, keep the buck going.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/31/12 - 09:16 am
They placed that granny in

They placed that granny in handcuffs. I would be livid if that happened to my mother.

Kind of ironic that the Craigslist scam got reversed for a change.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 05/31/12 - 09:23 am
Yes, that woman was in her

Yes, that woman was in her 70's and she was handcuffed and taken to jail. It shouldn't always be where the buck stops. The officer should have gone to the bank, handcuffed the president of the bank and the clerk and taken them both to jail for giving the old lady the counterfeit.

She was the one who ended up out of the cash and probably the one who could least afford it. Y'all thought I was joking with my first comment, but I was making the point banks are not about to take the loss. I suspect they have a policy. They'll play the game, keep the bad bills going and let them jail innocent grandmas. A bank should be responsible for the bills they give to their customers.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/31/12 - 10:18 am
Is my Ben legit?

I agree Johnbrown. Since that incident, I haven't been very fond of cash, much prefer AE or Visa. Everytime I offer up a BF and the clerk pulls out the marking pen, I think of granny in the back of the patrol car. I also cash all of my checks at one local bank, so I will know the source of my money.

Jake
Jake 05/31/12 - 10:25 am
Duh

You would of thought that the picture of Deke Copenhaver on the $20 bill would have been a dead give-away.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/31/12 - 10:40 am
Law enforcement takes the

Law enforcement takes the easy route when they arrest a "granny" or any other unsuspecting person passing funny money. Heaven knows the average person pays no attention to the bills they receive from the bank, an automated teller, or even change from a store. Even if they did, most could not tell a good counterfeit bill from a real one. It's bad enough that they have lost their money and they should not be subjected to handcuffing and arrest when a simple report and ID verification would do to begin an investigation. Any one of us could get a counterfeit $20 from the bank or Wal-mart and pass it at Best Buy. Cuffing us and taking us downtown is pointless and archaic in this day and age unless we happen to have a sack full of bogus bills.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 05/31/12 - 10:41 am
Switchback

I carry one of those pens with me all of the time. You should see the look on the cashiers face wen I check their bills. It's priceless.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 05/31/12 - 11:55 am
Common sense

Surely there's still a place for common sense in this world? If an old lady passes just one counterfeit $20 and everything else in her wallet is legit, the chances are good that she is not the source of the spurious currency.

On the other hand, the dude who payed for this i-Pad with a whole stack of dud twenties is either the source of the bogus cash or he is very close to it.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/31/12 - 12:19 pm
Jake

Deke's not on the $20's?

BamaMan
BamaMan 05/31/12 - 12:40 pm
Counterfeit $$

Years ago I got a $20 from an ATM on Washington Rd in Martinez. Went straight to the ___ Taco place there next to Appliance Land. Is it still there? They treated me like a criminal and totally embarrassed me in front of the whole Saturday lunchtime crowd over that $20. I showed them where I had just left the ATM with a $20. Needless to say I haven't gone there again. If they had had a marking pen, it could've been very discreet and never even let me know they suspected anything. They finally accepted the bill, but that treatment cost them a customer.

my.voice
my.voice 05/31/12 - 02:44 pm
Anyone want to buy an ipad on

Anyone want to buy an ipad on the cheap? LOL

nnaugusta
nnaugusta 05/31/12 - 05:08 pm
I wonder if this is the same

I wonder if this is the same guy that sells them all the time on CL. One ad, dozens of iPads. Curious where he and his mother gets these things from...if it is the same 20 year old needing "college" cash that is.