Blythe man thwarts robbery with his gun

Thursday, May 31, 2012 12:11 PM
Last updated 10:03 PM

Desean Morris  SPECIAL
SPECIAL
Desean Morris

A Blythe man told authorities he stopped a man who was trying to rob him at gunpoint Wednesday morning by pulling out his gun.

Valdis Marion Anthony, 35, had entered his vehicle after making a purchase at Circle K, 2999 Washington Road, when an unknown man opened his passenger door and pointed a gun in his face saying “give up your money.”

Anthony told officers he drew his handgun on the suspect, who then fled.

A witness pointed deputies behind the store after she saw a man with a gun running in that direction.

Deputies discovered Desean Barry Morris, 21, of New Ellenton, S.C., hiding behind a nearby Fred’s store.

Morris was booked into the Richmond County jail on charges of felony criminal attempt and possession of a firearm during the commission of a crime.

HighSociety
HighSociety 05/31/12 - 11:25 am
Would've loved to see mr. bad

Would've loved to see mr. bad guys face. Hope to see more articles like this in the future.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/31/12 - 01:37 pm
@highsociety

I will agree with you on that one, bet he wasn't expecting that at all, probably thought he had found him an easy target....perhaps he needed the cash for some more of those hidious tatoos!

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 05/31/12 - 02:57 pm
Next Time

While I agree with pulling a gun on a person who is trying to rob you next time the robber is more apt to pull the trigger.

dichotomy
dichotomy 05/31/12 - 05:11 pm
Too bad Mr. Anthony did not

Too bad Mr. Anthony did not pull the trigger a couple of times. This punk will be back on the streets shortly to do it all again.

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 05/31/12 - 06:09 pm
Legal?

Since it wasn't mentioned in the article, I'm going to assume that Mr Anthony was carrying his gun LEGALLY. I encourage EVERY American to get a carry permit, learn to handle a gun properly and safely, and do just as this man did. I can't encourage anyone to take another mans life, but I believe he would have been within his rights had he pulled the trigger on this thug. WAKE UP AMERICA!

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 06/01/12 - 12:53 am
As I read the article, my

As I read the article, my thoughts mirrored Dichotomy's post. Start capping some of these criminals and this foolishness will abate in a hurry.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/01/12 - 07:14 am
No way of telling

... but maybe this loser needs the money to send in for Boy King Deke's membership in Mayors Against Illegal Guns. Copenhaver and the courts: "Making life easier for criminals in the CSRA.

Retired Army
Retired Army 06/01/12 - 07:37 am
Ah, common guys. You're

Ah, common guys. You're missing the irony of all this. Can you imagine what this thugs street creds are gonna look like down at Walton hotel?

His "Homies" are going to rag him half to death. Sometimes there is justice that even the law can't mete out.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/01/12 - 07:38 am
Guns taken away

Some think if we ban guns the jerks won't have them....nonesense....the criminals WILL ALWAYS have them.....we will be in more danger without them..

lifelongresident
lifelongresident 06/01/12 - 09:59 am
dear almost victim, great

dear almost victim,

great job, i wish you would have pulled the trigger, there's no way you would have been found guilty, your truck+"ole" desean pointed a gun at you+georgia's stand your ground law=a pauper's funeral for "ole" desean his mom and other relatives can then shed tears for "ole" desean at the grave site instead of in their best "cititrends" outfits and finest hair/nail styles courtesy of the local hair/nail shop in the courtroom while "ole" desean claims "how sorry he is" with all of his "tats" covered up, paints pulled up around his waist, clutching a bible, while standing telling the judge if "given a 2nd chance, I want to get my life together and go to college or the military" then there will be his mom standing in front of the courthouse claiming her son is "innocent" that they have the "wrong man" with the local preacher by her side claiming racism and "my son is a good boy he just got caught up with the wrong crowd, he was just starting to turn his life around" of course wearing the latest fashions from cititrends on gordon hwy in the southgate mall

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 06/01/12 - 09:40 am
Tattoo

I see he has the Star of David on the front of his neck.

iLove
iLove 06/01/12 - 10:45 am
Folk Nation <----gang

The "Star of David" is also used as a gang sign.

toldyaso
toldyaso 06/01/12 - 11:01 am
Well Mayor Copenhaver, here

Well Mayor Copenhaver, here is a prime example of a youth criminal with a gun. What is your MAIG group going to do? Nothing is the correct answer. Do you even know what constitutes an Illegal gun in the state of Georgia. You want to be a popular guy? maybe you need to re-evaluate your political affiliations.

toldyaso
toldyaso 06/01/12 - 11:05 am
For Mr Anthony, if you have

For Mr Anthony, if you have to pull your gun, you should use it. You are lucky this punk didn't go ahead and shoot. If your not going to use it better leave it home. Just sayin"

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 06/01/12 - 02:54 pm
RE: 1205

I agree; and if it had been me, I would have. That being said, I do understand his reticence; besides that whole "Thou shall not" prohibition, there is also the entire life-changing event thing to think about.

Unless the robber is of your same ethnic group, or you are a sitting judge, the shooter is looking at hours and hours of police intimidation, at length having to hire a lawyer (bottom line: a couple of grand) to get out of there. Of course, since you've hired a lawyer, "There must be something you're hiding." This means some buttmunch prosecutor with much tax money to waste and a career to feed will make your life H-E- double hockeysticks until he gets bored or finds someone else to harrass.

Yeah, all of that HAS run through my mind on the two occasions I thought I might have to use my licensed firearm.