News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Gun pulled after horn honk

NORTH AUGUSTA -- An 18-year-old North Augusta man contacted police Wednesday after a man pointed a gun at him in traffic.

According to an incident report, the teen was driving along Martintown Road around 8:20 p.m. when the gold Toyota Tacoma he was behind went off the side of the road. The Toyota then re-entered the roadway, almost striking the victim’s vehicle.

The teen told authorities he honked the horn.

Shortly after, the white male driver of the Toyota sped alongside the victim’s vehicle and pointed a handgun at the teen.

The Toyota then slowed and tuned off Martintown Road in the Hammonds Hill area.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 05/24/12 - 08:24 am
Road rage

People with no self control and filled with anger coupled with the fact that a firearm is involved is one scary scenerio.

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 05/24/12 - 08:25 am
Texting and reloading at the

Texting and reloading at the same time is not safe. How sad that it's come to wanting to kill someone for honking their car horn after THEY do something stupid. Glad the honker is okay and I hope police find the CRIMINAL with the gun and prosecute him fully.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/24/12 - 08:39 am
Speculation

Now, my comment is mere speculation and supposition, so don't get all mad at me; but it is possible that the complainant was tailgating. This mental picture comes to me from this statement in the story:

. . . . when the gold Toyota Tacoma he was behind went off the side of the road. The Toyota then re-entered the roadway, almost striking the victim’s vehicle.

Of course, he might not have been tailgating, but I was just offering up a possibility.

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/24/12 - 08:43 am
Tailgating or not, you don't

Tailgating or not, you don't pull a gun on someone for it! Two wrongs don't make a right, they say.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/24/12 - 09:22 am
Thank you bdouglas!

There is no excuse, the real question is why was the Toyota running off the road, was he drunk, was he texting, why was he careless behind the wheel? Please are just crazy now days and when I get mad at other drivers I just go on about my business, get a tag number and report the behavior.......better than getting shot at or ran off the road.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/24/12 - 09:38 am
We still laugh at our house

about the time I used my horn, nothing big, just a slight toot, on a big lady in the drive- through at Mickey D's. She was taking a bite out of everything they served her and sending it back in. Doggone, after a little while of this, I figured she'd had a full meal. I was trapped in the line and late for a dr. appt. with my daughter. All I can say is thank you Lord for those concrete columns that smacked her car door shut as she attempted to fling it open, describing to me and all of Washington Road exactly what she was going to do to me. It was hysterical and I couldn't stop laughing, but I'll tell you a pistol pointed at me would have sobered me very quickly. I try not to use my horn anymore.

Newsflash
Newsflash 05/24/12 - 10:03 am
Two wrongs don't make a

Two wrongs don't make a right,but three rights make a left . Think about it ! Be careful out there.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 05/24/12 - 10:06 am
Armed road rage story

I've told this before: Coming into Augusta Mall from Wrightboro I barely missed a car that ran the stop sign; I hit the horn at him and drove round to park at the main entrance; this guy followed me all the while six inches off my bumper blowing his horn and flipping me off. When I parked, he jumped out of his car with a flea market samurai sword! The woman in the car must have threatened to cut him off because eventually he got back in his vehicle and burned tires out of there.

My only thoughts were about how he should be very nice to that girl; you see, I was sitting there with my Bulldog .44 unseen on my lap. This fool was bringing a knife to a gunfight.

debbiep38
debbiep38 05/24/12 - 10:47 am
Soapy, Delta is ready when

Soapy, Delta is ready when you are.

LLArms
LLArms 05/24/12 - 10:55 am
These people are going to

These people are going to have a real bad day when they pull that stunt on someone else who happens to have a firearm.

The guy with the samurai sword would have really had to change his drawers. Knife to a gunfight anyone? Shesh some people got no sense.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/24/12 - 11:12 am
I agree with y'all about the

I agree with y'all about the North. Ever been to Boston? That's all you hear. It is considered RUDE in the South and I knew I was being rude when I let loose on her. I really don't agree with the part about us Southerners thinking we can't drive or worrying much about what someone else that we don't know thinks.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 05/24/12 - 11:56 am
Cretins behind the wheel

You never know what you're going to get when you honk, around here. Sometimes it's a polite wave of acknowledgment which says....."Yep, I know I goofed.....sorry about that!" Other times it's the middle finger or verbals as you pull alongside and sometimes it's an invitation to some form of mortal combat.

Some people are on a very short fuse and just hate to be corrected or rebuked.

allhans
allhans 05/24/12 - 12:50 pm
Are people required to take a

Are people required to take a road test before they get a license?
I can recall in Duval County FL having to drive through downtown by Hemming Park, parallel park, the whole works. I made it okay but lost points for failing to stop at imaginary pedestrian cross walks.
If these test are no longer being given, then someone is not doing their job.

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/24/12 - 01:02 pm
I sure hope that guy in the

I sure hope that guy in the gold Toyota wasn't a preacher! (c;

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/24/12 - 01:17 pm
Road Test

:-), allhans. I smiled when I read your post because I remember the "trick spot" that was always included in the little town where I got my license. The state patrol examiner would have you travel down a one-way street and then order you to turn left at the post office onto another one-way street. If you did not turn from the extreme left lane into the other extreme left lane, you had to go back to the station and schedule another test. They caught a lot of people with that trick.

pommom38
pommom38 05/24/12 - 01:51 pm
Amen Soapy @10:48!!! They do

Amen Soapy @10:48!!!
They do it often on this street and it irritates me. Too lazy for walking to the door??
Tailgating?? What on earth does that have to do with almost being hit?? You can be car length behind another, it goes off road, then wham it's on you. SMH at some..
I don't have road rage, I have people rage... Less dangerous :)

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/24/12 - 02:17 pm
Here in the South, horns are

Here in the South, horns are for scarring the bejeezus out of your little grandchildren when they are playing in the front yard. It also seems get a visceral reaction from Grandma, but the kids all laugh at her and I win.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/24/12 - 11:34 pm
Honking

I take the report with a grain of salt that the guy pointed a gun at him, recalling an incident when I was stirring my coffee one morning, heard the usual endless honking across the street so I asked the guy to please stop honking his horn at 7am every morning when he picked his nieces and nephews up for school (out of zone by the way)...He screeched backwards out of the driveway, started yelling, threatening and cussing at me (I was on my deck in stunned silence) and then at least pretended to call "his friend at the police department" and audibly claimed there was some crazy woman threatening him with a weapon. ??? I was still holding the tiny white plastic coffee stirrer. There are various types of lies. That was one of them. Don't believe everything you hear. He probably hadn't even really called dispatch. Between him, his relatives and the other neighbors' 24/7 traffic (loud boom-boom music, no such thing as "quiet voices" and apparently unable to ring a doorbell or knock on a door, (Must honk horns) it was a rare night I got a full night's sleep with all the racket. AT one time it was a nice, quiet, subdivision with thoughtful, self-respecting and civilized neighbors. No more.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/25/12 - 06:01 am
ALeaves

AL says..

Try Appling Ga AL.....I hear it still has the quiet-calm-tender care we both need......:)...see ya there one day..

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/25/12 - 11:19 am
SeenitB4

I grew up in the country and as a little one and as a teen I hated it because all my friends lived in town and I was isolated. Now I long for that isolation very time I here thumping coming down my street. Our neighborhood in Evans has changed alot since we bought the house 8 years ago and it has not changed for the better. It seems that perhaps the folks who were trying to get their kids into better schools and neighborhoods only succeeded in bringing the trouble along with them......

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/25/12 - 04:53 pm
stillamazed

It was only a matter of time, stillamazed. If you don't stop it where it starts it emboldens people and it spreads.

Frazier retires after demotion

Long-time Richmond County principal Wayne Frazier, known for his unorthodox approach to school reform, submitted his resignation Wednesday after being demoted to a teacher this summer.