Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Hephzibah preacher who pulled gun is threatened with death

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:35 PM
Last updated 9:32 PM

A Baptist preacher told deputies he was threatened with death after he pulled a gun on a Hephzibah man Sunday.

Witnesses said Spivey was talking with Darwin Kyle Eutsy, 40, of the 1600 block of Keron Way, when the argument became heated and Eutsy became verbally abusive.

When Eutsy stood up suddenly during the argument, the pastor pulled out a handgun and pointed it at Eutsy, the report said. Spivey then left the area.

Authorities were called to Miracle Baptist Church around noon Monday, where Spivey told deputies he had received a threatening call from Eutsy the previous evening.

According to the report, Eutsy told Spivey the only reason he would come to the church would be to “make a deal with the devil, kill (the pastor) and burn the church down.”

Spivey declined to press charges.

raul
raul 05/22/12 - 03:06 pm
Pistol Packing Preacher!

Pistol Packing Preacher!

Jake
Jake 05/22/12 - 03:22 pm
Holy Ghost!

Brings new meaning to the term "slain in the spirit".

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 05/22/12 - 03:24 pm
Gospel goof

How not to evangelize!

When the discussion gets heated it's time to "shake the dust from your feet" and move on.

my.voice
my.voice 05/22/12 - 03:50 pm
How did we get from

How did we get from "soliciting people to visit the church" to "the argument became heated"?

I am not an English major, but there seems to be a sentence or four missing.

As for the minister, he may want to consider another line of work.....like a repo-man!

crackertroy
crackertroy 05/22/12 - 04:06 pm
I've been on several church

I've been on several church mission trips and never once have I known anyone to carry a gun with them.

x58dav8r
x58dav8r 05/22/12 - 04:12 pm
Breaking the Law

Isn't that brandishing? Why wasn't the preacher arrested? Does he have a concealed carry permit? Lot's of unanswered questions here.

griff6035
griff6035 05/22/12 - 04:46 pm
Have Gun I Preach.

He must be tired of turning the other cheek!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/22/12 - 06:34 pm
Something Isn't Right

What would a sensible person do if another called and threatened to kill them and burn down their place of business, worship, or home?
Go to where they are and confront them with a concealed weapon? Call law enforcement immediately, of course.

I am not sure from the report, when the phone call took place; before he went out with his concealed weapon or after. In either case it does sound like Spivey went out looking for this man with a gun or just looking for trouble and he found it while hiding behind the gospel.

Ministers sharing the Word of God do not need a gun. Evidently, this "minister" had his own message in mind when he took his flock out to "evangelize" the neighborhood.

Was it a coincidence that they showed up in the accused's neighborhood or an agenda? Does Spivey keep his gun in his pocket when he speaks from the pulpit on Sunday morning? Does a person who can't control their temper need to be in leadership over others? Does he have a permit to carry a concealed weapon? Does he have the temperment to carry?

I would be very interested to know this "preachers" background and education. Law enforcement must be called on to investigate this thoroughly. If this had been you or I, we would already be in custody and we'd get to do our explaining to the judge.

noxiousfumes
noxiousfumes 05/22/12 - 05:26 pm
Shoot, my pastor and most of

Shoot, my pastor and most of the deacon board have guns in their cars. Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth! LOL! Seriously, though, it seems like something is missing from this story because I don't understand how things went from "Would you like to come to our church?", to "I'm gonna bust a cap in your behind!" Seems strange.

JohnBrownAug
1962
JohnBrownAug 05/22/12 - 05:29 pm
Retired Army
Retired Army 05/22/12 - 06:02 pm
Good Lord Willow. That's 3

Good Lord Willow. That's 3 times in the last three weeks.

I'll try to even out the keel later on. :)

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/22/12 - 06:33 pm
Noxious, who knew a tiny

Noxious, who knew a tiny little comma could have soooo much meaning! Glad you used it.

{RA}, you're alright afterall.

JohnBrown:)))

Talk about beating them with gospel, now it's moved to shooting them with it... Is there a full moon, perhaps?

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/22/12 - 07:08 pm
I think I'll reserve an

I think I'll reserve an opinion until more information is available. I agree that it seems odd that a pastor would carry a concealed weapon but I have no idea where this neighborhood is and whether this was a group of men or men and women witnessing. No mention of who created the argument or even if possibly the pastor was trying to calm the situation down. Maybe the pastor was their to visit Mr. Eutsy's wife or child. Evidently Mr. Eutsy wasn't happy and we don't know if the threat came before or after the pastor went visiting in his neighborhood. Many details left out and sometimes what is written isn't always what it seems.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/22/12 - 08:35 pm
Pastor Needs Some New Skills

ICL, I understand not rushing to judgment, but frankly it is highly doubtful we will ever hear anything more of this. Nothing about it suggests that any good sense was applied, the truth has told, or that the law was involved in any way other than much after the fact and even possibly after he had been advised to cover himself.

In any case, whether I am right in reading it or not, I see no reason to go on any visitation or meeting with a gun. If you need a weapon, don't go. If someone called him for help, he could have sent law enforcement. His bad judgment risked many lives. We can't carry a gun and the Bible, and we will never calm anyone by pointing a weapon at them; it's just all counterproductive and against the law.

I am not jumping on any citizen band wagon to jail him, but I do believe it shouldn't just be swept under the rug. He may need some help learning to cope with difficult people and he may need to be asked to give up carrying a concealed weapon while going to gatherings and in public places; not to mention some new witnessing techniques.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 05/22/12 - 08:59 pm
ICL, I have to comment that

ICL, I have to comment that you are being consistent with your position of waiting on more information until you form an opinion. The other day, I made a comment on some other article...honestly can't remember which one...and you said pretty much the same thing to me, that conjecture is not always the best tact to take (I'm paraphrasing). Your comment was shared by someone else, alittle more harshly. But I see that that same person is not heeding their own advice here....instead utilizing suppositon. I'm not CRITICIZING that person, I am merely pointing out how easily it is to garner an opinion based solely on the meager facts being included in the article.

All that being said, I don't blame this preacher for carrying a weapon. Weapons can be presented for 2 reasons...to thwart POTENTIAL hostile behavior, or to be actively used to defend oneself and to put an immediate end to the aggression. Just because he's a preacher does NOT mean he is God...he can't stop violent behavior just because of who he is, what he does for a living, and who he believes in and follows.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/22/12 - 09:49 pm
I guess with the world as it

I guess with the world as it is today and with some seriously unstable individuals out there, it's possible that this pastor carrys the weapon as protection for him and his members. Not saying it's the wisest choice but, hey, Peter carried a sword in the Garden when they came to arrest Jesus and He said go into all the world and teach, not just the safe places.

Willow, you stated "if you need a weapon, don't go". If that's the case then I guess we need to recall all our missionaries in some seriously dangerous countries. Don't know for a fact, but I would guess that there are those who carry protection for safety reasons where they are witnessing in hostile environments.

Nothing in the article indicated that Mr. Spivey was witnessing to Mr. Eutsy. It said he was talking with him. It could have been this pastor was inquiring about another family member and Mr. Eutsy didn't want these "preachers" on his property, could be Mr. Eutsy was intoxicated and became beligerant. We don't know how the arguement started or even if the argument was one side or both but evidently Mr. Spivey felt threatened enough to pull a weapon on Mr. Eutsy and wise enough to leave the area.

I would hope that you aren't insinuating that a man of God was fabricating the story about Mr. Eutsy calling and threatening him to cover himself, although I will agree it's possible. I may be naive, but try and give the benefit of the doubt, especially when it involves a brother or sister in Christ. I could be wrong but like I said, not enough facts or details to really know what occurred.

It's just my opinion and I hope I didn't offend you. It wasn't my intent. I've just learned the hard way that most times few details really don't tell the whole story.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/22/12 - 10:19 pm
Triangulation

JMO, you aren't going to like this comment any more than you liked my last one, but, what you are doing is called triangulation...

Talking/posting to someone about another person hoping they will tell them or in this case they will see your remarks and be embarrassed or properly chastised of which I am neither. It would be less passive and more effective to just address me directly.

You appear to be offended because I commented that one of the remarks that you made regarding the students in the Greenbrier lock incident was gossip. And it was. You repeated something said outside of the newspaper article that you claimed a teacher had spoken to you as the truth regarding the character and motivation of the girls. It wasn’t fair.

I have commented on the article using only the reported facts. I have not judged his motivation or his character. I have not repeated something that I have claimed someone else knows about him as you did when I called your comment “gossip” and I certainly have not asked for him to be locked up, just investigated.

Quite frankly, I am not surprised at your comment towards me on this and knew when I posted that I would draw fire because of my stance on the last story. That's okay with me as well. I like the heat, I'm comfortable in conflict. So let's debate, you help me to understand why you wanted to take 4 little super glue girl seniors down and stick them in a lock up and destroy their lives with felony charges, but you think it's okay for a gun toting "preacher” going out for a visitation not to be questioned or commented upon regarding his good judgment and the legality of pointing a concealed weapon at another person in a crowd?

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/22/12 - 10:23 pm
Re: Triangulation

Stop it Willow yer killin' me.

Here's how I get you back.

Publix has all it's store brand ice cream and yogurt on sale 2/7.00.

I got, Mint Chocolate Chip, Tiramasu, Coffee Almond and Strawberry with chunks of strawberries.

There that oughta fix ya.

rebellious
20630
rebellious 05/22/12 - 10:27 pm
Mr Eutsy is a fine upstanding

Mr Eutsy is a fine upstanding citizen from Chicago, recently released after serving a 10 year sentence for who knows what. He called a 6 year old a little MF in front of the church group, when the 6 year old autistic child wanted to join the prayer walk. Mr Eutsy is a lowlife, preying on the down and out, cursing like a sailor in front of a church group. No doubt he has had ample opportunity to change his ways and refuses. He bolted out of a chair with his hand behind him when the pastor drew. the pastor has a concealed carry permit, has been trained by the DOD on weapons handling, etc... Take back the neighborhoods means just that, TAKE them back. A quote from Lonesome Dove, "I won't tolerate rudeness in a man" is coming to mind. Time to wake up folks. The bad guys don"t play by the rules. That's why I tote a Walther PPKS and a S&W 38 special.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/22/12 - 10:32 pm
No offense taken

ICL, no offense taken and I agree with you the whole story isn't known but there was enough for me to comment upon whether I am correct in my thinking or not and I know you agree, my perogative to do so. In doing that, I assume the responsibility to either remain silent or defend my position. I've decided to defend.

"According to a police incident report, Darien James Spivey, 45, of Miracle Baptist Church in Hephzibah, was in the Keron Way area around 8 p.m. Sunday with a group of church members soliciting people to visit the church."

That's evangelizing. That's taking members of the church with you to speak of God's Word and invite them to God's House; we don't need a gun to do that. If we do, we should not go and we should not take others who are unsuspecting of the danger they are being taken into. I don't know anyone who ever took a gun on a mission trip in Augusta much less to a third world country.

I've judged this man's actions, and not his character or his heart. I didn't suggest having him jailed, shot or stoned; just investigated. His flock should also take a good look at him. Because he calls himself preacher, he should not be held to a lower standard, but a higher one.

That's my position and I'm good with it.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/22/12 - 10:43 pm
Willow writes: "I don't know

Willow writes: "I don't know anyone who ever took a gun on a mission trip in Augusta much less to a third world country."

And you can bet your sweet bippy that most third world countries won't let you bring a gun with you anyway. Come to think of it so won't most 1st world countries.

You know just last year in all of Germany the police fired their weapons in the line of duty(not counting practice)270 times. ALL YEAR. And let's face it Germany doesn't really have a clear record of restraint, do they?

Los Angeles police shot one guy, what? 89 times? What does that have to say about our nation? Poor shots?

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/22/12 - 10:46 pm
Ice Cream

RA, had a banana milkshake for lunch and peach ice cream a few minutes ago .... My alotment for the summer in one day. Enjoy!

rebellious
20630
rebellious 05/22/12 - 11:12 pm
Willow, You are the master of

Willow, You are the master of double speak. What are you saying? there are areas of Augusta where you need to tote a gun. Those areas are in the most need of evangelism. I don't get your political double speak. Say what you mean, mean what you say!

rebellious
20630
rebellious 05/22/12 - 11:19 pm
These message boards are like

These message boards are like a teenage click. If your on the outside, you're on the outside. Therefore, your comments are useless until you are prepared to engage in dialogue with those outside your click and oblivious to you're inside jokes.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/23/12 - 12:05 am
Chill rebelious

I'm not ignoring you, just currently tied up having a late night talk with my own teen. She wants all of my attention right now . So I'll get back with you on your comments; need to have some time to process what I think you are trying to say. In the meantime, come up with an example. Give me something more to go on than generalities. And I always speak my mind , my goal is to not step on one's toes, but if you stick your foot out there; it's a possibility.

Retired Army
Retired Army 05/23/12 - 12:19 am
Willow writes"My alotment for

Willow writes"My alotment for the summer in one day. Enjoy!"

I shall pray for your enlightenment. Please don't become one of those folks laying up in a hospital dying of nothing one day gasping for one last peach milkshake.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/23/12 - 12:25 am
And rebellious., if we have

And rebellious., if we have to take a gun with us; nothing WE say is going to win them over . It will take God speaking to them through the gut wrenching pain of their own poor choices. We are called as Christians to plant the seeds on "fertile" soil not on dry. parched land, Jesus never forced His message on anyone and He sure never packed a weapon. He also came in the flesh with no super natural powers.

Good Night, sleep tight.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/23/12 - 07:09 am
Willow, I find it beneath you

Willow, I find it beneath you to patronize, and let me assure you I know what evangelism is. As you stated, we each have a right to our own opinion but as Ephesians 4:29 states, “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up,…” As a Christian, until more facts are known about this incident, it is my opinion that we should not tear down another brother or sister’s character. Your intent may not have been to do this, and this is just my opinion based on how you stated you comment, when you indicate that someone is out looking for trouble and not out to “evangelize” and by your quotes “preacher”, “minister”, it appears you are questioning this man’s character as a man of God, this is tearing down, not building up. Just because you don’t know of any missionary who carries a weapon, does not mean it does not occur more often than you would think. I think we both can agree that this world is dangerous and the weapon is used for protection, not to “brow beat” the Word of God into some lost soul.

InChristLove
InChristLove 05/23/12 - 07:11 am
It is my opinion, if Mr.

It is my opinion, if Mr. Spivey was truly out to "get" Mr. Eutsy, he would not have declined to press charges.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/23/12 - 07:16 am
The beginning of the article

The beginning of the article says the phone calls started after he pulled a gun on Eutsy. Perhaps the argument was over the church soliciting at his home. I persoanlly take offense to that also, my religion and beliefs are my own and I don't need anyone knocking on my door trying to tell me how to be a good Christian or what church to go to and why. Also, we all just about need a weapon everywhere we go now days because no where is safe anymore. People get car jacked or robbed at the grocery store, the mall, Walmart parking lots and a friend of mines husbands car was stolen from church, so to say if you have to carry a gun don't go is really unrealistic in this day and age, not if you want to feel safe and know you can protect yourself if need be. We live in dangerous times and while some of us may not worry about what might happen, others apparently are prepared for the worst.