Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Evans man arrested in Friday armed robbery of CVS Pharmacy

Friday, May 18, 2012 9:26 AM
Last updated 10:38 PM

Columbia County authorities arrested an Evans man wanted in the armed robbery of an Evans pharmacy Friday morning.

Back | Next
Columbia County authorities investigate an armed robbery at the CVS Pharmacy on Furys Ferry Road at North Belair Road.  BARRY PASCHAL/STAFF
BARRY PASCHAL/STAFF

William Wilcher Davis, 22, of Cape Cod Drive, was charged with armed robbery.

With a camouflage net over his face, the robber went into the CVS on Furys Ferry Road at North Belair Road armed with a handgun at about 8 a.m. demanding hydrocodone and OxyContin, Columbia County sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said. He jumped the pharmacy counter and left with a variety of narcotics.

The man then ran through woods behind the store. Sheriff’s office tracking dogs followed the man’s trail to a nearby church, where he got into a vehicle and left the area. Video surveillance footage from the church helped identify him, Morris said.

Deputies arrested Davis a few hours after the robbery at his home. They also found the narcotics, a handgun and camouflage clothing.

Nearby Riverside Middle School was locked down for a short time while deputies searched for the robber.

Davis is being held in the Columbia County Detention Center and bond has not yet been set. Those charged with armed robbery are typically held without bond subject to a bond hearing, Morris said.

Comments (14)

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/18/12 - 10:07 am

Addticts

Yet another drug addict looking for drugs at whatever the cost. So many people are hooked on prescription meds yet every other commerical you see on TV is an advertisment for drugs....you can't have a alchol or cigarette commercial anymore but drug commercials are just fine because the government is making money off them and they owe political favors to the big pharmacutical companies.

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/18/12 - 02:26 pm

Fast work

Well....that was fast.......could you help Richmond county ??

BamaMan
BamaMan 05/18/12 - 02:37 pm

Caught!

I'm guessing this person didn't think the church would have cameras.....but didn't think the drug store just MAY have some in this day and time?

faithson
faithson 05/18/12 - 03:24 pm

deterrence is first step

Security Camera's are a very good investment to deter crime. Anything one can do to 'make' the perpetrator THINK about what he is doing helps to deter the crime. Signs first, a good watch dog second, Security video systems third. Doesn't work every time, but one should do what they can.

Dixieman
Dixieman 05/18/12 - 06:36 pm

Duh

Well, that was certainly well-planned and executed! Criminal dunce of the week.

csraguy
csraguy 05/19/12 - 01:03 am

Great Job CCSO

Excellent job by the CCSO Deputies and well trained tracking K-9's. Thanks also to the church for immediately cooperating and greatly assisting in the apprehension of this violent criminal.

StillAmazed, you are very correct in your comments. I also believe Doctors now prescribe pain killers for minor aches, pains, etc. and often continue to prescribe even knowing their patients are becoming addicts. Non-narcotics could be used to solve many of the needs but instead other more profitable drugs are issued and continue to be prescribed time and time again. Go to any school now and see how many kids have "ADD" or are one some other medicine. Every med you put in your system to solve one problem creates another. It is time for us as a country to begin solving many issues without throwing meds at people as a solution.

DuhJudge
DuhJudge 05/19/12 - 07:03 am

You want to see a world of

You want to see a world of zombies? Shut down presciption pain killers. See someone complain about their back...potential zombie. Pills for everything from cholesteral to blood pressure to ED,people get addicted. What a world we live in.

Georgialina
Georgialina 05/19/12 - 08:01 am

CSRAGUY is correct

Several years ago, I had a Doctor who was treating me for back pain. Instead of trying to "fix" my problem, his answer was to keep me under the influence of both hydrocodone and OxyContins. I got tired of being "doped up" all the time so I stopped seeing him and stopped taking the pain killers. I still have the back problems but I treat it with non-narcotic pain relievers. I know that some people need the "heavy stuff' but MANY people are on them unnecessarily.

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 05/19/12 - 08:39 am

Glad they got him so quick

Now we [taxpayers] get to subsidize his meals, leisure time, medical care to the tune of $30,000 while he is in jail

Cinnamongirl
Cinnamongirl 05/19/12 - 09:31 am

I was married to an oxycontin

I was married to an oxycontin addict. One of the worst drugs ever, as far as dependency...my husband's addiction ruined our family.

walrus4ever
walrus4ever 05/20/12 - 07:21 am

While he further messed up his life, he may have just saved hims

While he further messed up his life, he may have just saved it. Oxy is an insidious substance. Addicts crush it, dilute it in water and mainline it. Thats the deadly habit that killed my younger brother on a Christmas Day. My wfe works in an ER and sees a stream of addicts who come in with aches and pains to get narcotics. Some use their teenagers as patients and then take the meds for themselves. Docs know the scam well and will only prescribe lesser drugs to "frequent flyers". Dont always blame the physicians who see these people.

nevertoolate
nevertoolate 05/20/12 - 05:01 pm

Because I had surgery for 2

Because I had surgery for 2 ruptured discs 8 years ago, my doctor prescribes me valium and a muscle relaxer to take together at night IF my back begins to hurt. I also have a prescription for oxycodone in the event it hurts BADLY. Usually, ibuprofen does the trick. I end up disposing of meds because they expire...I've had prescriptions I've never filled, just shredded because I never filled them. A good doctor will pay attention to whether or not these controlled prescriptions are filled at the pharmacy and will watch for the addictive behavior. Not everybody who has these 'scripts are idiots. I have the meds in the event that I need them and believe me, when I need them, I REALLY need them.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/21/12 - 10:24 am

Disposal

Just a little tip about disposing of expired drugs. Many people flush them down the toilet, but they just go right through the sewage plants and end up in our rivers and lakes. It's better to throw the drugs in the trash where they go to the landfills.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/21/12 - 10:38 am

@Nevertolate, I am the same

@Nevertolate, I am the same way, I will be in so much pain that I can't stand it before I take anything stronger than an extra strenght Tylenol. These pain killers can get you hooked fast and ruin your life and I just have always been afraid of them. Maybe being arrested is a blessing for this young man.