Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Inmate charged with attacking jailer

Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:22 PM
Last updated 9:23 PM

An inmate at the Columbia County Detention Center was charged Tuesday in assaulting a jailer.

Dennis Joe Tilley, 23, of Grovetown, was charged Tuesday for assaulting a jailer.  SPECIAL PHOTO
SPECIAL PHOTO

Dennis Joe Tilley, 23, of Grovetown, was charged with willful obstruction of a law enforcement officer after he lunged at and punched a deputy jailer when told to pack his property and move to a different section of the jail, according to a Columbia County Sheriff’s Office report.

The incident started at about 8 p.m. when the jailer told Tilley to remain on his bunk for failing to make his bed. Tilley instead walked out of his cell to get juice and said he was not staying on his bunk.

The jailer then told Tilley he was being moved to another area of the jail and to pack his belongings.

Tilley threw his property box against the wall before charging at the jailer and hitting his jaw.

The jailer struck Tilley back in the face to stop the attack. He and another jailer took Tilley to the ground, where he was handcuffed and placed on lockdown.

Tilley has been at the jail since April 4, charged with simple battery. He initially was arrested for pinning his father to the ground and hitting him repeatedly.

According to a report, Tilley came inside his house and threw a loaf of bread across the room. He started cursing and slamming doors before throwing an ashtray at his father and attacking him.

Bond for Tilley is set at $3,200.

imwatching
imwatching 05/16/12 - 04:50 pm
Columbia County, we have a

Columbia County, we have a winner!

Jake
Jake 05/16/12 - 05:15 pm
Authority

Dude must have something against authority figures. I hope his cranium is hard because he sure is going to need it.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 05/16/12 - 05:56 pm
I think they should check his

I think they should check his birth certificate, becuase he looks a lot older than 23!

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 05/16/12 - 07:42 pm
This poor fella just digs his

This poor fella just digs his hole deeper. Sounds like some other issues are going on. I'm sorry for him and his father.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/17/12 - 09:52 am
Sounds like this guy has

Sounds like this guy has anger issues. My cousin used to treat my uncle that way. I reported him to the elder abuse hotline. I wonder if this guy is on drugs like my cousin was?

my.voice
my.voice 05/17/12 - 10:04 am
The sad part is life is too

The sad part is life is too short to walk-around-angry. This guy would benefit from some therapy and probably some medication of some sort. I doubt his anger is "his fault" but his resulting actions are. Knowing what its like to be, at times, "owned" by your temper, I hate to see someone else trying to do this raw. Of course, you've got to want the help to get it.

Many black colleges struggling

Although Paine has struggled with its own failures over the past several years, HBCUs across the nation are dealing with some of the same troubles that are threatening their missions and existence.