Evans contractor Hugo Diaz sentenced to 15 months in federal prison

Diaz to serve 15 months for harboring illegal immigrants

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:25 PM
Last updated 10:56 PM

An Evans-based contractor was sentenced to 15 months in federal prison Tuesday for harboring illegal immigrants and employing them in his construction business.

Hugo Diaz will get credit for the six months he has served and will be recommended for deportation to his native Mexico after his release early next year.

Diaz’s attorney, Brian McEvoy, requested a departure from the sentence guidelines, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office had no objection to a sentence at the lower end of the recommended 12-18 months’ confinement.

U.S. District Judge Randal Hall, however, said that a reduced term wouldn’t convey the seriousness of the charge.

“This is a practice that cannot be tolerated,” Hall said.

Tuesday’s sentencing caps a case that started in November when federal and local law enforcement officers swarmed the home Diaz shared with his wife, Blanca.

An indictment charged the couple with harboring aliens, money laundering and conspiracy to commit money laundering.

Diaz and his wife pleaded guilty in February in exchange for the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s dropping all but one charge. Blanca Diaz was sentenced a few days later, received credit for time served and was deported.

At the sentence hearing Tuesday, neighbors and business partners praised Diaz as a “good man” and a loving father and husband. They said he was living the American dream by starting a business from scratch after coming to the United States illegally in 2004.

Diaz apologized and accepted full responsibility for his actions.

“America is a great country, it really is,” Diaz said. “I will keep it in my heart for the rest of my life.”

Sweet son
Sweet son 05/15/12 - 04:48 pm
Why Waste!

Why isn't he deported immediately so that the taxpayer won't have to fund his bed and meals for 15 months? Another incredible waste of our money!!

CoastalDawg
CoastalDawg 05/15/12 - 05:30 pm
Not a waste

Chances ARE that if he were just deported, he'd be back in the country in no time flat - after all he IS here illegally this time around. By having him serve some time in the federal system he just MIGHT get the idea that he needs to stay in Mexico.

jmo
jmo 05/15/12 - 06:51 pm
The law is the law. If

The law is the law. If someone is here illegally and caught; deport them.

georgiagirl530
georgiagirl530 05/15/12 - 08:55 pm
Let me be one of the first to

Let me be one of the first to leave this comment. This is a bunch of BS. murderers and child molesters do not get this much time. All the judge did was made an example out of this man. He served his time now let him go back home so us the taxpayers don't have to foot this bill any longer. And by the way I also work for the government and yes we also have an illegal alien working with us as well. Do you think the government went back and checked her green card after she got hired. NO THEY DID NOT. It expired not even 6 wks after she was hired. This is a bunch of crap and the judge needs to reconsider this mans sentence. The only thing he was guilty of was working his behind off. If the American people were not so greedy then he would not have had all this work. But no they want to charge you and arm and 2 legs to do anything. Thats why American people get illegal people to do there work because the American people are lazy. Heck look at us. Its not like it doesn't show.... Good luck Mr Diaz I hope something happens and this stupid sentence gets overturned. And btw you people leaving negative comments I bet you would get him to build your house instead of what the Americans want to charge you. Alot cheaper and built so much better

scostelloxox
scostelloxox 05/15/12 - 08:58 pm
For starters, he had court

For starters, he had court today, tuesday & for yall to post an article and obvisouly, have no idea about it, is pointless he has ONE charge not THREE. he was charged for ONLY hiring illegal immigrants. This may be a serious charge & he HAS suffered greatly, but keeping him in jail for another 15 months is ridiculous. luckily the time he has already served will be accounted for to make time shorter. & for those of you who dont know he did pay taxes, you can't believe everything the "newspaper" says, they already don't know the facts... he is a "GOOD MAN" but those who didn't get the opportunity to meet this nice gentleman are being so quick to judge..

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/15/12 - 09:25 pm
Goodbye

To Hugo and Bianca, sweet, kind, hard working people. May the Lord bless you and keep your family safe and together. Wish you could stay.

blues550
blues550 05/16/12 - 12:40 am
Willow Part 2

...keep your family safe and together as the old song goes "south of the board, down Mexico way".

Abbynoll
Abbynoll 05/16/12 - 07:24 am
I've always been a little

I've always been a little torn on this subject. The ones that come here with a thug mentality should be sent back and immediately... but there are so many that come here and work their butts off! They TRY to acclimate to our society. Aren't those the ones that we WANT here? I wish gentlemen such as this would at least try to become citizens, we need all the productive people we can get in this country.

"Diaz apologized and accepted full responsibility for his actions."
That isn't a statement you'll read often of someone who is convicted of a crime. That speaks volumes to me.

boodroe
1960
boodroe 05/16/12 - 08:33 am
Deport Him

So he is a good man who paid taxes but he broke the law coming here illegaly in the first place. All of us whose ancestors who arrived here legaly should be appaled if he was allowed to stay send him home now and never let him back in the US

greggarn
greggarn 05/16/12 - 08:38 am
Can someone please tell me

Can someone please tell me how a man was able to do all this without any inside help. He was able to run a business, pay taxes, have bank accounts and make payroll for all the these years without anyone having a clue that is documentation was fake. If this is possible homeland security can not protect this country. Could it be he had inside local help ? You try going to a bank and setting up an account today and see what all you have to produce... strange. Another thing,
all the builders that benefited from him should have to answer to someone as well. They all knew something wasn't right about this... cheap labor causes you to turn your head I guess.

bdouglas
bdouglas 05/16/12 - 08:42 am
I'm curious how he could

I'm curious how he could possibly have been paying taxes if he was here illegally? Don't you need a Social Security number to pay taxes? Or is our government so lazy as to just take money from anyone without bothering to identify the source?

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/16/12 - 10:15 am
Let's just change this from

Let's just change this from homes to goods for one minute. I was recently furniture shopping. One selection was 2000 dollars and it was made in China. The other American made for 3000. Thinking I would receive a better built piece of furniture and feel so patriotic, I began checking the construction and comparing pieces. To my great disappointment, one was as shoddy as the other. I'm still looking , but I can tell you no way am I paying a greater amount for inferior or equal construction. Neither would I purchase something that I knew to be "stolen".

Apply this same lesson to home purchases and there isn't any difference when the contractor is licensed by local government and has a federal tax number, bonded and insured.

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/16/12 - 11:22 am
Child molesters and murders

Child molesters and murders don't get 15 months???? What courts have you been too GeorgiaGirl530????? Maybe an example has been made out of this man I don't know and I have heard people say good things about him. However if you do the crime you do the time.....I bet once they deport him he will be back so don't fret about it GaGirl and Willow! By the way, I would have probably hired him to do some work for me, I have been very impressed by some of the craftsmanship I have seen from some of the Mexican contractors.

scostelloxox
scostelloxox 05/16/12 - 05:23 pm
stillamazed .. believe what

stillamazed .. believe what ya want , you don't know NOTHING. he isn't coming back to this why would he want too?? he had everything taken from him in just a hours. dont comment if you dont know anything.. everyone trying too say stuff about HUGO DIAZ is wrong, he did nothing but work all the time he was over here did he have a criminal record? no he did not, he wasn't doing anything wrong so what he was illegal, he paid taxes and did everything an american would do but honestly he did it 100x better thats why everyone wanted too complain about it. they did make an example out of this man, thats why the news is all up in this case. i don't see have the people going to court on the news, IF YOU DON'T KNOW HIM DONT BE SO QUICK TO JUDGE.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms