Body identified as missing Aiken County woman

Monday, May 14, 2012 1:32 PM
Last updated 9:09 PM

An autopsy has identified a badly decomposed body found during the weekend in Aiken County as that of Melody Boughman, 56, a woman reported missing last month.

Boughman  File
File
Boughman

County Coroner Tim Carlton said Boughman died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Her death has been ruled a suicide.

Boughman’s husband, Wendell, found the remains about 12:30 p.m. Saturday in a heavily wooded area off the 1000 block of Double Springs Road, sheriff’s Capt. Troy Elwell said.

According to police, Boughman was last seen by her husband at their home April 20. Police believed she left the residence on foot without money, identification or medicine for an undisclosed medical condition after a fight with her husband.

Authorities also believed she had her husband’s .22-caliber pistol with her.

– From staff reports

harley_52
harley_52 05/14/12 - 01:56 pm
Interesting set of

Interesting set of coincidences. Husband gets into a fight with her, then reports her missing along with his pistol. Almost a month later, the husband finds the "badly decomposed" body in a "heavily wooded area." A day or two later, her death is ruled a suicide by the coroner.

Was there a note? Why did she do it in a "heavily wooded area?"

Ginot
Ginot 05/14/12 - 02:30 pm
Something just don't sound

Something just don't sound right....

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/14/12 - 03:49 pm
Sounds right to me, maybe her

Sounds right to me, maybe her medical condition was a mental illness. Not all suicides leave notes, maybe she was just ready to give up. I am sure if the husband was suspect that they would not have ruled it a suicide.

Mcycleman1
Mcycleman1 05/14/12 - 04:46 pm
What evidence?

What evidence do they have that supports "self-inflicted"? Couldn't anyone have done them in at point blank range, using gloves and then wrapped the victims fingers around the gun? not saying it was so, I'd like to hear what the evidence is....

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/15/12 - 07:40 am
I thought I read somewhere

I thought I read somewhere she was bi-polar? I might have my cases confused, so I won't state that with any confidence.

I'm not sure why hubby would want to reveal the remains if he had any prior involvement. Talk about self incrimination!

stillamazed
stillamazed 05/15/12 - 10:46 am
I agree with itsanotherday, I

I agree with itsanotherday, I don't think the husband was ever suspect in this. Maybe we all watch to many crime dramas, I know I do and it sometimes slants my view of things. I am just glad she was found and the family can have closure.