Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Elderly Burnettown woman surprises burglar

Aiken County Sheriff's Office Photo
A bloodhound and officers pursue a suspect Wednesday.
Wednesday, May 2, 2012 4:15 PM
Last updated Thursday, May 3, 2012 1:52 AM

A teenager is in custody after a 90-year-old woman found him trying to burglarize her Burnettown home Wednesday.

According to a news release, the victim heard a noise and found Thomas Edward Boatwright, 17, in the hallway of her home on Carter Street. Although both reached for the phone, the victim was able to grab it first and call for help.

Boatwright was apprehended by Aiken County Sheriff’s deputies and bloodhounds on Sunshine Street, less than one mile from the victim’s residence.

He has been booked into the Aiken County Detention Center on charges of second degree burglary.

TrulyWorried
TrulyWorried 05/02/12 - 03:37 pm
Good for this lady - to have

Good for this lady - to have this quick type of reaction to stop this juvenile delinquent!! Had she had a shotgun - he'd be in trouble!
Well hopefully he IS in trouble!!! Glad the lady is alright!

raul
raul 05/02/12 - 06:41 pm
Glad he didn't hurt her.

Glad he didn't hurt her.

Patty-P
Patty-P 05/02/12 - 07:03 pm
So they actually arrested

So they actually arrested him??? Oh wait, that's Aiken County.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 05/02/12 - 10:08 pm
Holy cow, had a shotgun? To

Holy cow, had a shotgun? To many Granny Clampett episodes or was that parody of the Southern sub culture more real than I thought??

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/03/12 - 12:54 am
My 79 yo mother would have

My 79 yo mother would have put several holes in him had she heard him come in, and she is no Granny Clampett.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 05/03/12 - 02:59 am
And just what is wrong with

And just what is wrong with protecting you life and belongings? I would advise this thug and his buddies not to try that at my house. Even if I am not home. She is probably a better shot than I am. And I don't miss.

CABoatright
CABoatright 05/03/12 - 06:03 am
Roadkill: My thoughts

Roadkill: My thoughts exactly. Game for the day would be target practice if that thug tried to enter my humble abode.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/03/12 - 07:27 am
Bianca Cain Johnson should

Bianca Cain Johnson should have provided the time of day when the encounter occurred.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 05/03/12 - 07:30 am
As dry as it's been, that

As dry as it's been, that photo would appear to show a leaking water main in Burnettown.