Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Teen shot on Ellis Street

Monday, April 30, 2012 7:13 PM
Last updated 10:25 PM

A teenager has been shot on the 2000 block of Ellis Street.

Richmond County authorities said Theotis Hassan, 18, was shot in the neck but the wound was not fatal. Hassan told investigators he walking down the street and somebody shot him. The bullet through his neck and investigators said he could be released from Medical College of Georgia Hospital tonight. No arrests have been made.

The call came in to dispatch at 6:02 p.m.

Conservative Man
Conservative Man 04/30/12 - 07:33 pm
Yet another shooting in

Yet another shooting in Harrisburg....I hope Scott Peebles means what he says about community policing, as he will probably be the next Sheriff. This election can't come soon enough for that neighborhood...Goodness knows Ronnie Strength's policy of "re-active" law enforcement is a joke...

csraguy
csraguy 04/30/12 - 08:00 pm
I feel sure there will be

I feel sure there will be much more to this story. Community Policing will help and Scott Peebles is the man for the job but we have many issues in this county that go way beyond law enforcement and community policing. Until people respect theirselves and respect others we will continue to see much more of the same. Our school system, parents, law enforcement, commissioners, etc. all need to work well together. However, our school system MUST do far better than it is doing now, especially for the amount of money spent per pupil. The graduation rate is deplorable and this must change in order to give hope for true change to our youth.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/30/12 - 08:11 pm
Community policing means

Community policing means NOTHING if officers don't want to arrest people who commit crimes. There is a lot that goes unchecked in Augusta because the deputies are spending time trying to play social worker instead of law enforcement. That's why there are so many that repeat their crimes over and over.

csraguy
csraguy 04/30/12 - 08:32 pm
Patty, I know you are pro-law

Patty, I know you are pro-law enforcement and you also want strong punishments from crimes committed. Officers do want to make good arrests and get convictions. That being said, we both know juvenile court is a joke and therefore officers who continually do hours of paperwork only to be told again by the juvenile intake officer to release the kids to the parents get extremely frustrated and SOME feel they can do a better job by trying to talk with them vs. arresting them - in reality, they are enabling. But, most deputies do in fact arrest when they can and work hard to get the conviction. Many repeat their crimes over and over because all they get is a slap on the wrist when they go to court (if they even have to go).

raul
raul 04/30/12 - 08:52 pm
Here he comes just a walking

Here he comes just a walking down the street singing doo wa diddy diddy dum diddy do! And gets shot. Humm.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/30/12 - 08:52 pm
csraguy....I stand behind law

csraguy....I stand behind law enforcement officers who enforce the law. But no matter what the paperwork or what they think the outcome will be, they cannot allow people to be victimized. That victimization is what causes communties to decline.

Lori Davis
Lori Davis 04/30/12 - 09:11 pm
The true part of community

The true part of community policing is to get on top of the smallest things that go on in neighborhoods, like drinking openly on the street, loitering, panhandling. There is a degree of social work, but mostly enforcing everything that has a law or code to back it up. Zero tolerance for the things that eventually escalate into robbing, stealing, shooting, etc. Things are out of control with reactive policing, which is the current model. It does not work. Not in this day and time.

palmetto1008
palmetto1008 04/30/12 - 09:43 pm
There is no evidence that

There is no evidence that proactive community policing style works either...at least not practiced wholesale. There is evidence that "hot spot" policing does. And, I would think, the Harrisburg area would be a prime target for that brand of policing.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/30/12 - 11:06 pm
Exactly Lori Davis....I think

Exactly Lori Davis....I think if they would nip things in the bud, it wouldn't get to the point where things are out of control. To me it seems like community policing is just another way for officers to 'talk to the criminals', and certainly they wouldn't want to break any trust they've built with any members of the communities they are policing. So again, that means that criminals will not be arrested for crimes committed, and the victims pay the price.

HighSociety
HighSociety 05/01/12 - 12:05 am
Community Policing will work,

Community Policing will work, and those that are breaking the law will not like it one bit. I wouldn't be surprised to see an area like Harrisburg cleaned up in a reasonable time frame.

blues550
blues550 05/01/12 - 06:51 am
Bad news: Kid shot Good news:

Bad news: Kid shot
Good news: L. Davis flag not involved

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/01/12 - 08:51 am
" Things are out of control

" Things are out of control with reactive policing, which is the current model. It does not work. Not in this day and time."

Yep, especially when we have SIX cars tied up running a speed trap that could be patrolling neighborhoods.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 05/01/12 - 08:56 am
Palmetto, I only have a

Palmetto, I only have a general notion of community policing; not having ever studied the idea. That said, my impression is that it does what you say; focuses most of the manpower in troubled neighborhoods. After all, why would you have a large presence in a low crime area?

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 05/01/12 - 09:19 am
"...After all, why would you

"...After all, why would you have a large presence in a low crime area?"

There is an old axiom that says "Ya gets the policing ya pay for." One of the factors that keep low-crime areas low crime is a police presence and felon's knowledge of quick response times. The other thing is a strong presence in high-crime areas is the police tend to be seen rather than as protectors to be occupiers and cooperation becomes resistance. Cue the poverty pimps whenever there is violence, like a police shooting of what was before being shot a two-for-a-nickel thug into a sainted choirboy on his way to save the whales -- or buy some Skittles.

Frank I
Frank I 05/01/12 - 02:50 pm
Something is amiss with this

Something is amiss with this scenario. Harrisburg is rough but it's not bad enough that someone gets shot for walking down the street in broad daylight.. My mom lives down there and walks to and from the Kroc Center as well as businesses on the Walton Way side, with small grandchildren in tow, pretty frequently. This occurs, for the most part, without incident.. Do these circumstances seem suspicious to anyone else?

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/01/12 - 06:13 pm
Frank I, I've been shot at

Frank I, I've been shot at repeatedly on my property in 30906 on different occasions and as I was driving past the next house's driveway. I was verbally abused with racial epithets, obscene labels, and slandered sometimes in front of my children, some of which was witnessed by certain authorities and STILL couldn't get anything done about it. I was spit at in front of my children. My property was shot at, windows shot through a couple of times and deck wall damaged, other property also vandalized, my pets shot at, killed in a couple of instances. On the other hand, you can get arrested for asking your neighbors to please be quiet when their outdoor party continues from dusk to past midnight and on into the wee hours of the morning even when you have evidence that you were the one being victimized. When the baiting didn't work to incite you the abusers simply made false accusations against you (lied) and then didn't show up in court. This is happening all over the county when you try to fight crime in your neighborhoods. That is why so many people move. I know exactly what the good people in Harrisburg are going through because it isn't just happening there. It is a living nightmare and caused a huge amount of stress on my family until we were able to move.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/01/12 - 06:16 pm
i.e., pretty much the whole

i.e., pretty much the whole county is a "hotspot"

raul
raul 05/01/12 - 07:36 pm
Dang, AutumnLeaves where did

Dang, AutumnLeaves where did you live in Augusta? Sounds like a war zone. Glad you got to move.

FriedFacts
FriedFacts 05/02/12 - 04:49 am
Some of us have been trying

Some of us have been trying to get the RCSO to wake up to the concept of community policing for a long time. Something, simply, has to be done. Sure it means going among the people and getting to know them, but the net effect is MORE arrests until the change in the law enforcement environment is realized. As Loris, say, staying on top of the small things creates a law abiding environment. It appears Peebles and Roundtree both get the concept.