News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

5 cars stolen from North Augusta business

Monday, April 23, 2012 10:45 PM
Last updated 11:47 PM

A man was arrested Monday for stealing five vehicles after a company official tracked down the stolen goods, a North Augusta Public Safety incident report said.

Shortly before 9 a.m. Monday, Public Safety officers were dispatched to Pioneer Clearing at 1514 Edgefield Road where a company official told officers five vehicles were missing from the business.

He told officers the thief used a John Deere excavator to lift and load them onto a transport vehicle. The missing vehicles were a BMW, Cadillac, a service truck and two tractors.

The report said the Pioneer Clearing official called police again later and told them he had found several vehicles at Newell Recycling on Doug Bernard Parkway in Augusta. The company official followed the suspected thief to Beech Island and contacted the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office when the man started removing other stolen items from a location in the county.

Paul Wright, 34, was booked into Aiken County Jail on Monday for possession of stolen property, according to the jail’s Web site.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/24/12 - 04:39 am
I always find it interesting

I always find it interesting when private citizens are often able to track down stolen property, but law enforcement appears baffled.

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/24/12 - 05:58 am
This is amazing. A crime

This is amazing. A crime actually planned in advance with proper equipment, and not just the usual impulsive stick-em-up.

twolane
twolane 04/24/12 - 09:23 am
whats it matter the judge

whats it matter the judge will probably give him a suspended sentence because hes hooked on meth just like the rose fella with all the tattoos on his face.....lifetime criminal gonna be back out in 86 days what a joke

FLgirl
FLgirl 04/24/12 - 10:31 am
Riverman, I was thinking the

Riverman, I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this...but I was also thinking it's a damn shame that the "company official" was the one who had to solve this crime

Ginot
Ginot 04/24/12 - 11:00 am
That's what happens when you

That's what happens when you have report takers and not investigators....

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 04/24/12 - 11:24 am
OK...so did the folks at

OK...so did the folks at Newells actually accept these stolen vehicles?

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/24/12 - 11:38 am
FLgirl, yep, my cynicism

FLgirl, yep, my cynicism really kicks in on this issue. I'm not saying anything, but I didn't just fall off the Vidalia Onion truck.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 04/24/12 - 05:32 pm
Tracking devices on the

Tracking devices on the vehicle.

Mr_nowhere_to_be_revealed
Mr_nowhere_to_be_revealed 04/24/12 - 10:51 pm
I guess you can say the thief

I guess you can say the thief 'lifted' the cars, lol! Sorry- couldn't resist!

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.