Carjacking reported on Gordon Highway

An Augusta man who was arrested Wednesday after an alleged carjacking told officers he didn’t steal the car, but “rented it” from the driver by giving him money to buy drugs, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office report.

An officer was dispatched to Olive Road at Martin Luther King Boulevard around 1 p.m. Wednesday in reference to a carjacking. A 48-year-old Hephzibah man said he was driving down Gordon Highway when he stopped to offer a ride to 20-year-old Cheron Witcher, who had been walking in the rain.

The driver told the officer that Witcher pulled put a gun in his face and ordered him out of the car.

Two officers later spotted the black Toyota Corolla at the intersection of Bolt Drive and 15th Avenue and followed Witcher to Dudley Drive. Witcher exited the car while it was still moving and fled on foot. The Toyota struck the side of an officer’s car, according to the report.

Witcher was apprehended several minutes later after a brief foot chase. After officers advised him of possible charges for carjacking, Witcher said he “didn’t steal any car, he rented it from the victim for $20 in crack cocaine money,” according to the report. He also offered to show officers the dope house where he dropped off the Hephzibah man who was driving the Toyota.

Witcher was charged with a felony count of obstruction of a law enforcement officer, leaving the scene of an accident, driving with out a license and reckless driving.

csraguy
csraguy 04/18/12 - 11:57 pm
Excellent immediate follow up

Excellent immediate follow up by RCSO - great job and good arrest.

tanbaby
tanbaby 04/19/12 - 04:02 am
so now it's not even safe to

so now it's not even safe to try to help your fellow man out of the rain ??? what is this world coming to????? sad, very sad......

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/19/12 - 04:54 am
Yesterday, I saw what looked

Yesterday, I saw what looked like a young dad with two really small boys who could barely walk in the rain, all holding hands, with hoods up over their heads on Stevens Creek Rd. I was sooooo tempted to do what the woman in the Blindside and this motorist on Gordon Hwy did, by turning around to give them a ride and get them out of the rain, but I didn't. I felt bad about that all the way home. This hijacking gives me pause.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/19/12 - 05:10 am
Get your CCP folks. It's the

Get your CCP folks. It's the only way we will ever take back the streets.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/19/12 - 07:55 am
Glad they caught up with him

Glad they caught up with him and arrested him. Now let's see what the justice system does...

Frank I
Frank I 04/19/12 - 09:03 am
what's a CCP Roadkill?

what's a CCP Roadkill?

raul
raul 04/19/12 - 09:19 am
@Frank. Roadkill may be away.

@Frank. Roadkill may be away. CCP is concealed carry permit.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/19/12 - 09:19 am
Concealed Carry permit??????

Concealed Carry permit??????

bdouglas
bdouglas 04/19/12 - 09:23 am
@Patty: Yes? It is what it

@Patty: Yes? It is what it sounds like.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/19/12 - 09:33 am
No good deed goes unpunished.

No good deed goes unpunished.

bentman
bentman 04/19/12 - 10:40 am
classy citizens on the south

classy citizens on the south side

Iwannakno
Iwannakno 04/19/12 - 11:12 am
Cue countyman to tell us how

Cue countyman to tell us how safe the area actually is and that the AC is picking on Augusta....

Bouganvillea
Bouganvillea 04/19/12 - 01:54 pm
carjacking on Gordon hwy..

carjacking on Gordon hwy.. why is that not a surprise? Oh but I'm sure countyman will come on here telling is how safe that area is and give us another list of businesses in the area.

aughate
aughate 04/19/12 - 03:51 pm
Everyone pay attention to the

Everyone pay attention to the article, alleged carjacking. If a car jacking took place, then Cheron Witcher has some charges left off because all I see is obstruction, leaving the scene, driving w/o a license, and reckless driving. The little 20 year drug dealer must have been telling the truth about swaping drugs for the use of the car. He ran because as you can see, he is a drug dealer who was driving and should not have been legally. So, don't let this story deter you from offering someone a ride, let society in general deter you from offering someone a ride because it just isn't safe.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/19/12 - 04:13 pm
Well aughate, I guess the

Well aughate, I guess the officers either didn't buy the story, or weren't interested in finding the crack house.

Frank I
Frank I 04/20/12 - 09:11 am
@raul, I was being

@raul, I was being facetious.. I knew what he was referring to, my point however is that a "CCP" does not exist in the state of GA. GA's firearms license is called a WCL, or GA's Weapons Carry License (formerly called a Georgia Firearms license) and it relates to carrying weapons both concealed and open..

UGA jumps up in 2 polls

The University of Georgia made the second-biggest jump of all the teams in the two national ranking polls, both of which were released Tuesday.