Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Downtown Augusta restaurant holdup foiled

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:35 AM
Last updated 4:59 PM

Richmond County authorities are investigating an armed robbery attempt that occurred early Monday at a downtown Huddle House.

Lt. Blaise Dresser said employees notified deputies Monday afternoon, 16 hours after the incident.

According to an incident report, a man entered the store shortly after midnight and said he was on crack cocaine and needed help.

He then pulled a pocket knife and demanded money from the register.

The report said the 19-year-old employee called for help from the cook, causing the man to flee.

Dresser said employees said they didn’t initially report the incident because they didn’t think the robber was serious.

rmajor
rmajor 04/17/12 - 12:39 pm
Please define serious... for

Please define serious... for me....knife? Hold up? Does he need to bring a loaded gun the next time? Just asking....

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 04/17/12 - 06:26 pm
Well, in defense of the

Well, in defense of the employees,...and I do see where you're coming from rmajor...one of the employees was 19 and who knows how old the other one was. If they were that young, their mind is not in the same place as ours to have known the significance of calling the police. I don't believe they were thinking that the would-be robber could easily go on to rob or hurt someone else.

Frank I
Frank I 04/17/12 - 05:25 pm
their*

their*

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/17/12 - 05:51 pm
Video?

Video?

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 04/17/12 - 06:42 pm
I won't go near that

I won't go near that particular Huddle House. EVERY time I have been there it has been at night, sometimes late- and someone asks for money.
They need security at that location to keep customers from being pestered... as well as possibly keeping muggers away.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/18/12 - 10:08 am
Eat there often, though not

Eat there often, though not at midnight.

Not a good location. It's right around the corner from "skid row", i.e. the area immediately surrounding the Salvation Army complex on Greene Street. Drive through there at any hour of the day or night and you'll see significant numbers of dysfunctional, homeless individuals in various states of intoxication, sprawled across the sidewalks and grass with their meager belongings in a bag or supermarket buggy.

Pitiful.

ripjones256
ripjones256 04/19/12 - 11:31 am
Way to go ! Crime averted.

Way to go ! Crime averted.