Crime & Courts

Richmond Co. | Columbia Co. | Aiken Co. |

Investigation continues in shooting of Augusta 5-year-old

Friday, April 13, 2012 11:55 AM
Last updated 10:03 PM

Authorities are still investigating a shooting in the Barton Chapel neighborhood that wounded a 5-year-old girl on Thursday night.

Richmond County sheriff’s Sgt. Dan Carrier said the child was in her home in the 2400 block of Madrid Drive that night when a bullet came through the wall and hit her near the ankle.

Deputies had come to the area earlier in the evening after someone reported a fight, but the crowd had dispersed when police arrived.

When authorities were called out the second time, shortly before 8 p.m., they found that the child had been shot.

The girl, who was not identified, is expected to make a full recovery, police said.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/13/12 - 11:12 am
It is scenairos like this

It is scenairos like this where innocent people are getting shot at, whether intentional or not, which are my nightmare. I have been sneered at and sometimes villified by certain persons in my life and a few posters on here for calling in gunshots in or near my community, but this is exactly why I continue to report them. Bullets don't care what they hit, but I care about the lives of people, their pets, and their property. Respect life! If you have a moral reason (self-defense, etc.) and must shoot, be sure of your target so there is no collateral damage. Do not put innocent lives at stake. Do not handle a gun if you are not capable of handling it properly, the life you save may be your own.

LLArms
LLArms 04/13/12 - 12:03 pm
Chances are the thugs that

Chances are the thugs that fired this weapon could care less about weapon safety or gun laws. They do not hold human life with any regard as they themselves expect to be short lived. Short of exterminating this disease, its a never ending cycle. Drastic times call for drastic measures. But that will never happen.

david jennings
david jennings 04/14/12 - 06:48 am
I agree al,but in reality

I agree al,but in reality anyone that behaves in such a manner probably couldn't read your post and understand it. They certainly lack respect or any moral convictions.

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/14/12 - 08:07 am
autumn I used to report

autumn I used to report things like that too only to have an officer ask me why I'm the only one who sees or hears such things. It's because some don't want to report or be involved. I hope they find the person or persons responsible. It's sad when a child gets caught in gunfire.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 04/14/12 - 05:21 pm
In addition the fact that

In addition the fact that there is a cowardly (filtered word) running around who would shoot into a house, and that 'no one saw anything,' they were willing to tell the police, the local broadcast coverage has my beta-blockers working over time. Each of the newcasts I saw said a 5-year old was accidentally struck by a bullet. Accidentally, my butt! Anyone or anything struck by a bullet fired into a house is deliberate. In the unlikely event this piece of genetic offal is found, he/she should be charged with attempted murder.

But they won't; one of our 'enlightened' judges will give them cabfare and a candy bar in exchange for their promise not to do it again.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/14/12 - 09:58 pm
Jennings, you'd be surprised

Jennings, you'd be surprised who reads these posts and report to those that get word of it through their network because they aren't as literate as their "eyes and ears". Patty-P I believe you about that response from an officer. I have had at least two officers over a 7 year period ask me exactly the same thing (why am I the only one reporting/hearing these things? and so on....). It was all I could do to keep my temper at the disrespectful remark, because by the time I would call for help I was really near the end of my rope with fatigue and worry from my life being disrupted by the endless discord in our neighborhood. It was hard to put myself in the officers shoes when I was exhausted, but I did try, since I have always had some family member/s in law enforcement I can see where they were coming from. However, I was NOT the only one hearing/seeing these things, as the officers put it, but I was the only one with the guts and maybe somewhat naive trust in law enforcement to report it. My good neighbors were begging me to call stuff in, because they hadn't had any success and hoped I could do a better job of it. Mixed results, that's for sure. Thankfully, that was not the attitude of all the officers that responded over the years or many cocaine and marijuana busts, burglaries, robberies and other crimes and misdemeanor arrests in and near that neighborhood would NOT have happened. I couldn't give up; I didn't have the option of getting my family out of there at that time.

Once-condemned hotel back in business

The building, erected in 1985, was closed in November 2013 after inspectors from the fire and health departments, along with Augusta's code enforcement division, found the hotel in a state of ...