Man steals motorized shopping cart from Augusta Food Lion

A man stole a motorized shopping cart from a Food Lion store by driving it out the front doors and to the parking lot Wednesday morning, according to a Richmond County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

An officer was called to the grocery store at 4104 Windsor Spring Road a few hours after the theft occurred. An employee told the officer that the man was recorded on video leaving the store with the scooter, and had not been seen since. The employee also told the officer that the man is homeless, lives in the area and that they have had altercations in the past, according to the incident report.

He is described as an older white male with gray hair, about 5 feet 7 or 8 inches tall, and about 200 pounds. He was wearing a green jacket, khaki pants and a ball cap.

The Mart-Cart brand motorized scooter with shopping basket is valued at $5,000.

debbiep38
debbiep38 04/11/12 - 10:35 pm
Must've been a Masters

Must've been a Masters patron. Green jacket and all. After paying his hotel bill he couldn't afford a plane ticket.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/12/12 - 12:28 am
5 grand!! Sheesh, no wonder

5 grand!! Sheesh, no wonder the hovaround guy advertises so strongly. Big money in motorized carts.

ke4pkb
ke4pkb 04/12/12 - 12:56 am
Does this really surprise

Does this really surprise you? I attend a local church on Lumpkin Road and the Apartment complex on the adjoining property is pretty much all section 8 and welfare. You can go out by the dumpster at the property line and there will be at least a dozen brand new $500.00 shopping carts out there! Do the math. That is $6,000.00! This is just 1 dumpster in one location. Who do you think pays for those? WE DO with higher food prices. It is bad enough that we tax payers have to provide these people all that we do and then they do things like this. They also come over to our Church constantly... not to the Church for Worship... but for freebies. They ask for "free SHI_". Those are the exact words they use! They demand STEAKS, potatoes, desserts, and more. Then once I round this stuff up for 5 or 6 of them at the time, NONE of them say "Thank You" and usually ask for something else after that. These people are demanding, rude, steal, and usually are violent. Do not even try to tell me that it is because of what they are going thru. That is not an excuse to be a burden on Society and to act like this.
Just my 2 cents worth...

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 04/12/12 - 04:56 am
ke4pkb if that is your

ke4pkb if that is your attitude then you already have your answer why they don't thank you. I've fed the poor and homeless for several years and they have never demanded steak and potatoes and most of them thank me. It doesn't sound to me like you have much of a servants heart in this area so you might need to find something different to do in God's Kingdom.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/12/12 - 04:57 am
The charge on the thing

The charge on the thing probably ran out about a mile down the road and since he's homeless he won't be able to charge it. Also, he probably doesn't read the paper and will be back in the store soon enough. He will be in jail, not that it's necessarily a good thing soon enough. Putting the homeless in jail is like having them check into a motel to wash up, eat for a couple of weeks, sleep on a cot and get medical attention. Just a big bill for us.

southern2
southern2 04/12/12 - 06:22 am
ke4pkb...Thanks for the

ke4pkb...Thanks for the insight and for keeping it real.

ke4pkb
ke4pkb 04/12/12 - 07:50 am
nothin2show4it... even though

nothin2show4it... even though they do this... I STILL provide the help with a smile, I still help, I will always help my neighbor, my brother, my sister, strangers, etc... having said that, I am just stating fact about most of these people that I personally encounter and have been dealing with since the 1970's! When I was 17 (I'm 53 now) I received Jesus as my Saviour. I have trusted in him all of this time. I will always (LORD willing) do this. Having said this... people (Christians) need to take a stand on morals, principles, and these social ills that I refer too.
YES... we are to Love our neighbor as our self, but we need to call Sin what it is... SIN.

Psalm 94:16
King James Version (KJV)
16 Who will rise up for me against the evildoers? or who will stand up for me against the workers of iniquity?

Proverbs 6:16-19
King James Version (KJV)
16 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,
18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,
19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.

Matthew 12:30
King James Version (KJV)
30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 04/12/12 - 07:55 am
ke4bkp- You are exactly

ke4bkp- You are exactly right. I work for a food company that caters to the convenience store business. One of the convenience stores I call of is on 15th street and is a hangout for homeless people. I carry a lot of merchandise around in my car to swap out for out of date merchandise and so forth. I made the mistake of giving one of the homeless people a couple packs of crackers, well it was not reallly a mistake because this homeless person really had an attitude of greatfulness, but the next thing I know other homeless people that I did not even see were coming into the store asking me to meet them outside and give them free stuff. Talk about a feeling of entitlement. I have got to where I skip this store unless I do not see anyone standing outside when I pass by. Then I try to get in and out as quickly as possible. These people have no shame and expect society to support them.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/12/12 - 09:09 am
If you keep giving people

If you keep giving people free stuff, they will certainly keep taking it. Then they start feeling entitled to it and will assault you if you don't give them "their" stuff.

The whole concept of welfare, Section 8, EBT, Medicaid, and all of the "free" stuff programs has been the downfall of this country. There is a big difference between a safety net and creating a culture and boy have we created a culture. Just wait until we see the reaction of this segment of the population when "Greece" happens here.

BamaMan
BamaMan 04/12/12 - 09:15 am
ke4pkb. You talked church,

ke4pkb. You talked church, church, church, and what you do. Yet you type all but one letter of a curse word. I can promise you the food closet at my church would never repeat such language. Repeating is the same as using it yourself. Think I'm prude? SORRY. I hope the people in your church have a "come to Jesus meeting" with you; you deserve it.

rmajor
rmajor 04/12/12 - 09:31 am
I thank God for His grace and

I thank God for His grace and mercy that I have never been homeless or know what that plight is like. It's by the Grace of God. Not my works. Look at the economy. Many high and mighty have been taught valuable lessons about money and life. I pray for those with families who have jobs and a means to provide for themselves, and I pray for those who are homeless and do not. That's all.

rmwardsr
rmwardsr 04/12/12 - 10:13 am
One more thing, these

One more thing, these motorized shopping carts are big and bulky, and require a large amount of space to operate in. Unless he was planning on selling it, it is not something designed for home use. Also they do not have a high rate of speed, they usually don't exceed walking speeds, if that fast. It seems to me travel on a rough gravel surface would have been difficult. Sounds like he had an accomplice waiting to load this thing up on something and make a getaway.

ke4pkb
ke4pkb 04/12/12 - 10:33 am
BamaMan... Who is vulgar

BamaMan... Who is vulgar here? That last letter could have been a P completing the word SHIP... YOU are the one that filled in the last letter. And for your info I despise profanity. Also, I do NOT work in the Church pantry or kitchen or am I even employed by the Church. I provide FREE security along with about 6 other men. The reason we do this is because these people I speak of STEAL, PILFER, BREAK IN, etc... at our Church and 1 even went off during a morning message right in the middle of the sermon confronting the Pastor!

Dixieman
Dixieman 04/12/12 - 12:38 pm
I am visualizing a v-e-r-y

I am visualizing a v-e-r-y s-l-o-w law enforcement chase....

mike1sc
mike1sc 04/12/12 - 12:53 pm
Lets not get off topic. This

Lets not get off topic. This article was about a stolen electric wheelchair!

Due to all the negativity relating to dog fights, they have replaced it with senior motorized wheelchair rugby. Electric wheelchairs have been "assembled" from grocery stores, Walmarts, and CVS and Walgreens. The officials wear green jackets. (That was an official observed assembling one of the wheelchairs). It will be a 4 round tournament, with 3 practice days beforehand. All of the tournament round tickets have been sold to major corporations from around the world so none of those tickets will be available locally unless you can get a ticket from a scalper. However, practice day tickets are available if you register online a year ahead of time of the event, and if the moon is in the correct location in space, and you've brushed your teeth three times a day, every day, and you say no cuss words, even ones where you leave one letter out, well, sometimes it may be necessary to leave two letters out, because some words are so common, everyone already knows what you are saying, so you are really saying it even when omitting some letter or letters. But do all those things you MAY get picked for one of the practice days, but there is no assurance any of the seniors will play a full rugby match on the practice day, and you can take pictures of the ones who do elect to show up on those days, if any of them do show up at all. If you are found with a camera or any electronic device during one of the actual tournament days, you will be banished from any developed country in the world, and you will never ever be able to touch a shopping cart again, and especially a motorized cart. By entering the tournament on any of the scheduled days, officials may decide to stop the tournament at any time with no explanation and there are no rainchecks or refunds given. The official sponsor of the tournament is the IWanta Ads Magazine, which is where most of the motorized wheelchairs are acquired (other than the grocery stores and other locations who use them), due to hundreds of them being offered in the weekly ads from people who used medicare and medicaid to get the chairs free and then when no longer needed, they attempt to sell them for great prices. Of course, all proceeds from those sales are given back to the government....wink wink!

At the conclusion of the tournament, the top 15 participants will receive an invitation for the next year's tournament.

So, this question has been solved as to what this person was doing when being observed taking this wheelchair!

mike1sc
mike1sc 04/12/12 - 12:55 pm
Deleted comment....it was

Deleted comment....it was listed twice!

1313 04/12/12 - 02:09 pm
He might as well make a run

He might as well make a run for it at that speed. It worked for O. J.

Cadence
Cadence 04/12/12 - 05:07 pm
Sorry, ke4pkb, sometimes when

Sorry, ke4pkb, sometimes when you speak the truth people don't want to hear it so they attack the truth speaker. It happened to Jesus now that I think of it. I know what of you speak as I have worked in the field for decades.

ke4pkb
ke4pkb 04/12/12 - 06:58 pm
Thanks Cadence! I am

Thanks Cadence! I am earnestly trying to be MORE like Jesus and less like ke4pkb..

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 04/12/12 - 08:28 pm
First I wasn't trying to

First I wasn't trying to attack ke4pkb. I don't question that he does this. I do question the motivation. I too can quote scriptures here all day but my point is if you don't have the heart to minister to the homeless people and I don't see that in anything that has been said then you shouldn't be doing it. What I see is resentment for their behavior. I look at the model Jesus gave us and I see compassion for the lost whether they are homeless, helpless, or hopeless. I only suggest that he/she find some other area to reach out in because I don't see that compassion in what they said.

David Yang, a Chinese pastor in China wrote in his journal March 1924 that he was not impressed with western missionaries. He said they really were not servants of Christ. I think what he was really grasping to say was they were mis-matched with the ministries that there were doing. That kind of thing happens all of the time.

So please do not regard this as an attack, rather see it as a mis-match of ministry. I think you would find yourself much happier in His service if you found what God had called you to do and did that instead. Just from what you wrote I don't think feeding the homeless is it.

BombquishaDavis
BombquishaDavis 04/13/12 - 11:27 am
Nothingtoshow...great

Nothingtoshow...great post....

I too worked in a homeless shelter. Yes, they do come in and demand things of you and all kinds of thoughts go through my head, until I remember the part about "judge ye not...." Then I remember what HE wants me to do, I suck it up. If I got it I give, if I don't have it I say so, let them be angry and walk away.
I don't want it to be on my deed list that the day I turned someone away, was the day someone was truly in need.

As for the cart, maybe they should put one of those locks on it like other grocery stores have..they automatically shut off once you get out of the parameters of the store lot.....

ke4pkb
ke4pkb 04/13/12 - 08:25 pm
nothin2show4it... ke4pkb said

nothin2show4it...
ke4pkb said "I do NOT work in the Church pantry or kitchen or am I even employed by the Church. I provide FREE security". "My motivation" is SECURITY. This is something that is very necessary in our area. Now to the point I was trying to make is even after I am very kind with a nice smile and help these people and provide them with a climate controlled room, food, condiments, beverage, dessert, etc... THEY are still rude, bitter, demanding, un-thankful... etc... the comment is NOT about me but THEM...
I hope that clarifies that for you...