News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Gunmen force their way into Hephzibah home, man says

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 1:18 PM
Last updated 4:08 PM

Richmond County investigators are searching for two gunmen who invaded a Hephzibah home Tuesday morning.

According to an incident report, John Houston, 31, returned to his James Drive home around 1 a.m. when he was approached from behind by two men with guns.

Police said they demanded Houston’s wallet and jewelry and followed him inside. In the home, they punched him while pointing a weapon at his head.

The victim’s 30-year-old girlfriend, who was already inside, heard the commotion and grabbed a pistol and fired several rounds at the suspects.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Dan Carrier said there was no indication that the suspects were shot.

Bubbagolf
Bubbagolf 04/10/12 - 02:11 pm
I bet AutumnLeaves heard

I bet AutumnLeaves heard these shots.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 04/10/12 - 02:24 pm
Do you reckon he was coming

Do you reckon he was coming home from working the evening shift?

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/10/12 - 02:37 pm
I wonder if the laws are

I wonder if the laws are changing to HELP OUT armed robbers too?

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/12 - 02:40 pm
You know what...ALeaves has

You know what...ALeaves has been through a lot....too much crime for 1 lifetime...I understand how she feels......south augusta has had MORE than its share .....once ya been hit ya get jaded....I know when someone broke into my home off Wheeless years ago...it took me months B4 I felt safe in my own home again...
I thought every car going by was casing my house....a bad feeling to have...

Patty-P
Patty-P 04/10/12 - 06:33 pm
I agree seenit...feels even

I agree seenit...feels even worse when the person is caught, identified, and NOT arrested. It's a very uneasy feeling. Then to be repeatedly burglarized over and over and over...nobody would know the feeling until it happens to them. And sadly, the law is doing everything they can now to protect the burglars. At this rate, in ten years there should be mass chaos on the streets. Especially when thieves know there is no punishment for what they do. Very sad really.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 04/11/12 - 11:39 am
Mo' free stuff.

Mo' free stuff.

dichotomy
dichotomy 04/11/12 - 01:39 pm
Too bad the girlfriend

Too bad the girlfriend missed. I would much rather read a headline that said "Two shot dead during home invasion".

Folks, if you live in one of the neighborhoods in South Augusta or "Hephzibah", you are not safe in your own home or on your own property....particularly after dark. The cops can't protect your. The entire justice system is against you. The state legislature just passed a pretty much "no jail time for anything" law. Arm yourself and assume that anytime you step out of your door, or get out of your car, that there is someone watching for the opportunity to rob or rape you. I know it's a depressing way to live but it is a fact of life in the sacrificial part of RC.

The new "no jail time for anything" law means that there will be more thugs on the street and they will be emboldened knowing that it is almost impossible to get locked up for anything short of murder. The only way to slow things down is for citizens to start dropping these thugs in their tracks. If the courts won't help us then we have to drop them faster than they can multiply and faster than the city can export them to our neighborhoods with Section 8. Buy a gun, carry it always, and learn how to shoot for center of mass. Nothing says scr......err..... "to heck with you" like a .40 cal in the chest.

With the recent "no jail time" law the legislature passed we are truly at the "do it to them before they do it to you" decision point. The state and the courts have abdicated their responsibility to protect you. It's a blatant statement that "you're on your own folks, we've got no place to put them".

Since we are not going to lock up most of the criminals anymore, I propose we do away with about 3/4ths of the judges. Save their salaries and benefits to put to the state deficit. The thugs and punks can simply go straight from being arrested and into the bogus "rehab" programs. Who needs judges that are worthless to begin with?

Property tax jump OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.