Augusta woman reports identity theft, tax fraud

Thursday, April 5, 2012 6:25 PM
Last updated 6:31 PM

An Augusta woman reported Thursday that someone used her information to file three years worth of income tax returns.

The woman, listed as Ashley Grabriel Young, 25, of the 2000 block of Clairmont Drive, told Richmond County Deputy Kenneth Scott that someone else used her personal information to file tax returns for 2009, 2010 and 2011, leaving her unable to file.

Frank I
Frank I 04/05/12 - 06:11 pm
that's AWESOME reporting.. so

that's AWESOME reporting.. so the woman reports identity theft and tax fraud and what does the The Chronicle do but list her full name, age and street address. Do you think we might be able to get a little more information, perhaps someone else can get in on her identity too?

Cynical old woman
Cynical old woman 04/05/12 - 08:23 pm
LOL @ Frank!

LOL @ Frank!

scoobynews
scoobynews 04/06/12 - 06:19 am
It took her 3 years to report

It took her 3 years to report this??? Is this as strange to everyone as it is to me??

stillamazed
stillamazed 04/06/12 - 06:20 am
The sad thing is that she

The sad thing is that she will have to bear the burden of proof that she is who she says she is. Getting identity theft straightened out can be a nightmare and some people have reported that it took years to get it straight. It seems that a flag should go off in the SS system but then again, they can't seem to know when a person is drawing full disability and working and still paying into SS. The system in our country is broken all around on so many levels.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/12 - 06:28 am
It is a nightmare. I've had a

It is a nightmare. I've had a mistaken identity thing show up on my credit report. There were about 6 accounts that were not mine. It DID take years of work to ALMOST clear my name. I got all but one taken off. They keep giving me stupid reasons why they say it's ME. They also have me as working at a place I never worked. I finally gave up although I may get enough energy to take them on later, but I don't need credit anymore these days and am thinking of a doing a credit lock thing. Anyone know if that's a good idea?

KSL
KSL 04/06/12 - 06:33 am
I would love to be unable to

I would love to be unable to file because someone else was doing it.

Someone stole my SS number in the early 80's. More than 5 years later, someone from Edgefield County tried to use it to get food stamps. My work record was checked because of the number and our finance person alerted me to the inquiry. Danged DSS would not tell me who tried to steal my identity. I should have pursued it. The government should not have been allowed to protect the identity of a thief just because they were applying for benefits.

KSL
KSL 04/06/12 - 06:39 am
Yes, RM, it's a good idea.The

Yes, RM, it's a good idea.The SS administration told me that they put a watch on my number because I reported the theft of my number. They told me at that point, the worst thing that could happen is that the idiot might use my number to report earnings, but they would be attributed to me. Unfortunately, that has not happened.

I will forever be angry with DSS because they chose to protect a criminal.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/06/12 - 06:43 am
A lock on your credit is a

A lock on your credit is a good thing.....mycredit card co. calls me whenever big purchases are made....a good thing......they verify that I am the one .....

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/12 - 06:45 am
KSL, I would have complained

KSL, I would have complained loudly about DSS. That's simply wrong and probably withholding information about a criminal activity.

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/12 - 06:50 am
Here's something else I

Here's something else I learned about phony accounts in your name and so on. They don't even verify the social or signature on the applications. In my case, neither were mine and I assume they have the applications, yet one company still doesn't admit their error. It's not that much, but it's the principle of the whole thing. I'm not about to pay $800 for something that's not mine. I really wish they would take me to court in Columbia County. I'll come back at them hard.

LLArms
LLArms 04/06/12 - 08:40 am
Cash is king. Freeze your

Cash is king. Freeze your credit report and never use it again.

itsanotherday1
itsanotherday1 04/06/12 - 09:22 am
River, mine has been frozen

River, mine has been frozen for 3 or 4 years now due to someone getting my CC # twice in 6 months. I figured if they could do that, I didn't know what other mischief they could cause.

I hasn't inconvenienced me at all with the exception of taking advantage of the free interest on large purchases. (I used to always do those just to have my money making interest).

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/06/12 - 09:38 am
Thanks, everyone for all he

Thanks, everyone for all he valuable ideas. I have a bank card now and a credit card that I pay off every month. Can you keep a credit card if you lock your credit?

stillamazed
stillamazed 04/06/12 - 10:17 am
Someone in Florida ran up

Someone in Florida ran up credit cards in my name, also ordered a $500.00 Oreck vacuum in my name (I sue a $99.00 Hoover). The credit card debit totaled $11,800 dollars plus the $500.00 that was never paid to Oreck, of course the people who apparently did it was no longer at the address where the vacuum was delivered. The only time my credit was ever ran was when I went to buy a car so this was going on for several years without my knowledge until I went to buy my next car and low and behold their it was on my credit report. Then all of sudden I started to receive harassing calls several times a day from companies who apparently had bought up the debt. It was a nightmare.....I had to do all kinds of notarized papers and police reports. I learned a hard lesson but now I run a report every three months and recently they had an address for me in New Orleans, I have never lived in New Orleans, I contacted the police there and the address is fake, no such address but I have still not been able to get it removed from my credit information. I feel for anyone who has or is going through this.

David Parker